Wiki Posts
Search

Help with ICN-BKK Flight Options for Jan-2 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Help with ICN-BKK Flight Options for Jan-2 2017

So, I have found myself in a bit of a pickle. We are arriving at ICN on Jan 2 about 4.30PM on AA and originally planned to just stay in Seoul but my wife now wants to just head straight to BKK (where she is from), so it is my job to make it happen.

Normally I would just use my UA miles to book something on TG or OZ and be done with it but Jan 2 looks to be difficult. I was able to get a miles booking for the return flight a couple of weeks later.

Now, I do see a flight with T'Way airlines that would serve the purpose just fine but I am sure she will be packing two bags that will weigh right at 23kg each. If I am reading the baggage policy correctly on T'Way it will be about 10USD per kg over their allotment.

Any suggestions from people more experienced at booking out of ICN?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
There are tons of flights to BKK all day going as late as 9:30 PM on TG. I would give yourself a buffer of three hours (if not more) in case your AA flight is delayed. You'll also have to clear immigration and get your bags since you will have separate tickets. Also, ICN is fairly busy at 4-5 PM with flights coming in and the evening bank preparing to head out at 6-9.

Tway at 8
Asiana 8:20
Jeju Air 8:30
Eastar 8:40
Thai 9:30

As far as the bags, you can't really do anything except play by the rules and pay any fees. That being said, Tway, Jeju and Eastar will definitely be cheaper one way than OZ or TG. BUT if you expect bag fees, it might add up to the same.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:54 am

I did a quick check on a Korean travel site for 2 adults on Jan 2 one way.

Eastar is the cheapest at 250 USD.

Jeju is around 280 USD.

I haven't flown Eastar or Tway, but I have flown Jeju. I was quite pleased. Friendly, clean. On time. Free water (they even advertise and promote that they will fill it up for you on the plane)!

Thai is significantly more at 540.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at Jeju, they did not come up in the searches I did and having at least one person say they are ok is more info than I have on the other airlines. Maybe one of the others will have a cheaper way of dealing with the bag cost or as you say...it may be just cheaper to go with a mainline carrier that we have status with.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:33 pm

As with any LCC, I am a huge advocate of paying for the exit row seat.....but try to get Row 16 exit row first. Row 16 reclines, while Row 14 Exit Row doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.