Wiki Posts
Search

ICN-GMP on a 15 hour layover

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
ICN-GMP on a 15 hour layover

I arrive at ICN at 530pm and my connecting flight leaves from GMP the next day at 830am.

First time in Korea!

My only luggage is my backpack. I'm open to be adventurous and just stay out all night and head to GMP early morning. But it would be nice to find a cheap decent hotel near GMP so I can leave my backpack and shower in the morning. Or can I shower at GMP? I'm star alliance gold.

What do you recommend I do?

Thanks for the input!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
For somewhere cheap and easily accessible, try Hongdae. Lots of guesthouse and hostels.

Are you flying international or domestic out of Gimpo? Either way, the facilities are sparse. That's the beauty of Gimpo...it's not busy and there isn't much to it so you can arrive an hour or so before your flight and essentially board right after check in.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:43 am

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/as...m#airportHotel
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:30 am

The area around Gimpo, however, there isn't much. For the sake of maximizing your time out and around Seoul, a hotel by Hongdae would be more advantageous. As in you waste what little time you have navigating the area (kind of "country" kind of city around the airport itself). Does that make sense? IF you do get tired at 3 AM, it's also a hell of a lot easier to get back to a hotel in Hongdae more simply if you're out and about.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Thanks for the suggestions. I was a bit "adventurous" and actually went to Seoul. I stay at Marriott hotels and the Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun had a decent price. I called them and asked them what was the best way to get there. They told me the bus number to take (it was around $15 USD). Looked up the route on google map, got on the bus and showed the map to the driver. It took almost 90 mins to get there. I was at the hotel around 8pm and immediately when to Myeongdong where it was very live and a lot of street food. I changed $30 USD on the street and spent around $15 USD on awesome street food. After 3 hours I was exhausted, back to the hotel, had one beer and was able to sleep for a solid 6 hours. I took at taxi at 6:15 am to GMP. It was only $30USD. I was checked in by 6:50am for a 8:30am flight. I could have slept 30 mins more!

Overall, a great way to spend a 15 hour layover.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:41 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed! Yes, you never have to go early to Gimpo, that's the beauty :-)!

Also, that's an awfully long bus! Whew. They should've said subway. At any rate, do come back for a longer visit and we're all happy to answer and help more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.