Cost-Effective Airport Transportation: ICN to Gangnam area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold

Last time in Seoul (5 yrs ago) I have a vague recollection of a circulating bus route thru Gangnam that (somehow) connected from/to the ICN airport. Will be there in a couple of weeks, but couldn't find anything that rang a bell. Just researched possibilities & found door-to-door reserved van transport at approx $100 US each way for 2 pax. However, travel by train from ICN to Seoul Station appears to be a lesser-cost option, then maybe a cab to Gangnam. Anyone had recent experience with this? Or can suggest a better cost-effective option?
Old May 21, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: LH&BA
Originally Posted by BH62
Last time in Seoul (5 yrs ago) I have a vague recollection of a circulating bus route thru Gangnam that (somehow) connected from/to the ICN airport. Will be there in a couple of weeks, but couldn't find anything that rang a bell. Just researched possibilities & found door-to-door reserved van transport at approx $100 US each way for 2 pax. However, travel by train from ICN to Seoul Station appears to be a lesser-cost option, then maybe a cab to Gangnam. Anyone had recent experience with this? Or can suggest a better cost-effective option?
Take the airport bus,there should be one either stopping at your hotel or close by. Price is between 8 and 14 $

The airport train can be booked with a connecting taxi to the hotel.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
There are many, many airport buses in Gangnam in all areas. Google your Hotel Name plus Airport Limousine Bus. The hotel website should also have directions on which bus to take.

Also, depending on where you are going in Gangnam AND the time of day, the subway might be faster. Take the AREX to Gimpo and change to Line 9 Express to Gangnam. This is not advised if you have big bags as there's really no where to put them and you have to go up and down some escalators. AND, even though the bus will be slower in rush hour, Line 9 gets very crowded. It's quite the welcome to Seoul haha.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Well, this is what we did: Time of Day turned out to be important

OP reporting: The other time we arrived/departed Seoul was 5 yrs ago & I don't recall anything unusual as we used the bus(es). But this turned out differently. At roughly mid-week we arrived at ICN, waited out a long line for immigration & based on the suggestion above proceeded to the AREX train. Took the Express to Seoul Station. It was fast & comfortable, arriving around 4:30 pm. But this is when the process slowed down: we found our way to the street & took a cab to hotel in Gangnam, but traffic was indeed *very* heavy, especially thru a tunnel. Probably took at least 45 min & about 2x the expected fare (assuming due to stop/start/stop/start/etc distance/time meter default). Went about our life, taking cabs to local destinations w/ reasonable travel times & fares. Then came time to depart. Hotel suggested we leave about 3 hrs before flight time. So for a flight boarding at 4pm we planned to take a 12:45 pm KAL bus rather than cabbing to Seoul Station.. This was last Saturday. Waited at the hotel, time passed, time passed & then the concierge warned us that the bus was hung up in traffic, but we "should" get to ICN OK, although it would be tight. Looked at each other & made a quick decision to take a cab. Even so, traffic was heavy, but we had an intrepid driver who must have passed a professional course in creative lane-changing. and the cost was not out of line, roughly what we'd pay in Seattle for home to Seatac Airport. Got to ICN around 2:45 pm, dealt with check-in & immigration (thanx to Fast Track) & had time for a relaxing lounge visit, and so to the gate w/o tight-connection anxiety. Moral of story: Evening rush hr & mid-day Saturday, allow plenty of time for the heavy traffic.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by BH62
but we had an intrepid driver who must have passed a professional course in creative lane-changing.
Ha! That is a nice way to put it!
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO traffic is especially horrible when it rains. Sometimes the expressway going to the airport gets flooded.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:51 pm

Have a 920AM flight on a weekday in a few weeks ICN-ATL out of Westin Chosun Seoul; would taking the KAL limousine be the best option and what time would I need to leave the hotel?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Mornings at ICN tend to be very busy (long lines at security). I would catch a bus from 6:00am. That would give you plenty of time for travel time (about an hour) and check-in, security, immigration etc. I do not expect much traffic at that hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.