Prepaid SIM plans from the LG, SK and Olleh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Honestly, I'm not sure about that. I'd imagine that they'd want the phone to be there. Normally, when you activate a SIM card, they check the phone in the store to make sure that the new SIM card worked.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

I'm curious ... What is the reasoning behind the making it difficult to get a SIM card? Japan has some stringent rules as well, but not quite as tough.

In my travels to several European countries, it's been pretty easy. At most, they want to see a passport but then will offer you whatever time willing to pay for. Are there security concerns Asian countries have that others don't?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:26 pm

In general, Korea has very strict rules for foreigners registering for phone service. I'm not sure of the reason, but the 3 day waiting rule is "a thing." As I'm working and living here, I had to wait to receive my alien registration card before I could sign up for phone service.

Depending on your visa type, you are bound to certain restrictions. For instance, a student (visa) who studies here for four years can never get a phone contract like a normal citizen, but an English teacher (visa) is allowed to get a phone on discounted contract. Or, even though I've lived here three years, when I changed my visa type to "looking for work," I was not allowed a new phone contract. There's really no rhyme or reason to it except.... "Immigration."

Korea is also really strict about electronics in general with taxes, importing, you name it.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:15 am

FYI, the 3-day rule is no longer a thing as of October 2015. I was able to pick up a prepaid SIM from a KT Olleh store in town, and it was activated immediately (but be prepared to attempt to speak - or at least translate your language into - Korean; every store I visited tried to point me to an EG SIM card, which is actually a competitor's MVNO - sold by English speaking, but pricier, especially if you are in the country for a while).
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by dustbuster
FYI, the 3-day rule is no longer a thing as of October 2015. I was able to pick up a prepaid SIM from a KT Olleh store in town, and it was activated immediately (but be prepared to attempt to speak - or at least translate your language into - Korean; every store I visited tried to point me to an EG SIM card, which is actually a competitor's MVNO - sold by English speaking, but pricier, especially if you are in the country for a while).
So it's ok to simply hop over to a KT Olleh store the day after arriving in Korea? I'm confused if it's you can only register after arriving for 3 days or if it's it will take 3 days after signing up for it to activate?

Also, is there a KT Olleh kiosk/store in Incheon airport to sign up at?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:25 pm

In the past, purchasing a prepaid SIM card was kind of complicated. It was not as simple, as say when you go to most Southeast Asian countries and can buy a card in just five minutes without any registration.

BUT as the other poster said, the complicated process is gone. You can, in fact, just buy a SIM card without any hassle. No waiting whatsoever. You receive it on the spot. When you come out onto the arrivals level, there are several stores. Their location is here: https://roaming.kt.com/rental/eng/custom/center.asp

At the airport, they always have English speak employees (and also Chinese, Japanese usually) at the KT Olleh counter.

It's true that the staff at a normal store in Seoul probably won't speak English and the language barrier might be difficult. Just get it at the airport. They also are probably not aware of the new rules for tourists as they simply don't deal with them. There are international stores in Itaewon, Hongdae, and other areas, but it's exponentially easier to just get it at the airport.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
In the past, purchasing a prepaid SIM card was kind of complicated. It was not as simple, as say when you go to most Southeast Asian countries and can buy a card in just five minutes without any registration.

BUT as the other poster said, the complicated process is gone. You can, in fact, just buy a SIM card without any hassle. No waiting whatsoever. You receive it on the spot. When you come out onto the arrivals level, there are several stores. Their location is here: https://roaming.kt.com/rental/eng/custom/center.asp

At the airport, they always have English speak employees (and also Chinese, Japanese usually) at the KT Olleh counter.

It's true that the staff at a normal store in Seoul probably won't speak English and the language barrier might be difficult. Just get it at the airport. They also are probably not aware of the new rules for tourists as they simply don't deal with them. There are international stores in Itaewon, Hongdae, and other areas, but it's exponentially easier to just get it at the airport.
Rates - all unlimited data:
W25000/5 days (~$23)
W35000/10 days
W65000/30 days

Domestic voice is W264/min to place (25c/min); free to receive. Domestic texts W110 to send; free to receive. International rates higher. Pay when returning SIM.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by drewguy
W25000/5 days (~$23)
Do you know what their definition of a "day" is? And, does my time have to start immediately when I pick it up? I'll be in Korea for 5.67 days, so I thought to start it the morning after I arrived.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:44 pm

I would presume that the day is Midnight to Midnight. I'm an Olleh customer and when they do roaming, they can set the day from a specific hour. They might be able to do the same with SIM cards.

To be fair, for that .67 day you could probably get away without it as you'll be done with your trip and most sightseeing/navigating. I'd think it'd be most important on your first day getting to the hotel, navigating, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.