Search

S. Korea - visa needed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
S. Korea - visa needed?

Hi all, I am planning a birthday trip for my grandmother who holds a Chinese passport, but lives in the US. We will have an overnight connection at ICN and we will be staying at the Hyatt near the airport - will she need a tourist visa for the overnight transit?

I have been getting conflicting and confusing information online - some websites say that Chinese passport holders will need a visa, but there are also ones that say Chinese passport holders can do 30 days visa-free.

If she does need a visa, can see get it at the S. Korean embassy in the US, or must she go to S. Korean embassy in China?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/InfoDeta...showMenuId=375

Is the govt immigration website. It looks like NO, she doesn't , as a "Transit tourist heading to another country."
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:14 pm

I would call your local consulate (or whichever region) and they should be able to help. Should.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: SQ, GA, QF
Calling the South Korean consulate is a good idea. Based on the hikorea website above, I believe that if your grandmother has a US visa (PR for instance) and if she flies directly to South Korea from the US, a visa should not be necessary. If you feel that it is safe to apply for a South Korean visa, then you can do it in the US if she has a US visa (PR for instance).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:14 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

She has a US green card and a Chinese passport. We'll be flying PEK-ICN-JFK, spending the night at ICN. From what I gather she can do transit without visa if she has proof that her final destination is US. But I will call the consulate to make sure. Thanks all for the help!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:45 pm

Yeah, she'll be fine:

Applicable to…
Those with a visa (excluding Japanses Group Visa, excluding e-visa) or a re-entry permit for U.S., Japan, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand (5 countries) and traveling to any one of those countries through Korea.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: SQ, GA, QF
Agree with mikesaidyes. I think visa is unnecessary in this case.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by agp423
She has a US green card and a Chinese passport. We'll be flying PEK-ICN-JFK, spending the night at ICN. From what I gather she can do transit without visa if she has proof that her final destination is US. But I will call the consulate to make sure. Thanks all for the help!
I have traveled SFO-ICN-CGQ (Changchun, China) route multiple times with a one-night lay-over at ICN. I did not have any S. Korean visa and I do not even have a green card. As long as you can show you are confirmed to continue to US and have the entry permit (in your case the green card), they will let you through the immigration.

What's even better? The validity of the stamp by the Korean immigration always is one month! I've never stayed beyond one night though...
Old May 2, 2015, 5:07 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Cool, thanks for confirming!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.