Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

MeongDong Eating Suggestions & meet & greet?

Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby

Will be staying in the Westin Chosun MyeongDong area of town, and was wondering if there is a nice Korean Congee (Bonjuk?) place nearby that I can sample as a touristy bucket list eatery? I Am willing to travel all over Seoul to sample the local culture, and most importantly, the food. The more it tastes like Mom cooked it, the better. Okay my Korean friend's Mom.

I eat in every $$ demographic, but for some reason, I keep coming back to Korean comfort foods, like CHI-MEK, Bibimbap, Galbi etc.....^

I saw the restaurant in the K-Drama City Hall. Here is a picture of the chain restaurant.
http://www.koreanclicks.com/korean-t...roduction-team

Thanks!

LFC

PS: ICN stay dates: April 28-May1. Any FT'ers in the area, feel free to meet and greet.

Last edited by luvFclass; Apr 17, 2015 at 9:43 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Bonjuk Myeongdong branch should fit the bill, 10 min walk from Westin.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
To be honest, there are a lot of good Korean chain restaurants in Myeongdong that are all over Seoul. But, added bonus - they have English/Chinese/Japanese menus and are used to tourists. Also, chain restaurants in Korean are usually very popular and busy, they're trusted. By eating at a Korean chain, you're by no means "copping out" and not being local.

Look for:

Bong Chu Jim-Dak (sound it out!): Jim Dak is one of my favorite Korean foods. It's filling, has great flavor and has that "stick to your ribs" home feel. It's glass noodles in a (slightly)spicy soy broth with boiled chicken, potatoes and vegetables. At the end, ask for bo keum noo loong ji. It's a pan fried rice that's all crispy that they set in the sauce. THE BEST.

There are three of them in Myeongdong.

Saemaul Sikdang - spicy bulgogi, delicious so-geum goo-ee (sounding it out), and kimchi jee-gay

**This restaurant is actually right across from Bon Juk!**

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ore-Seoul.html

I eat at this chain usually twice a month haha.

FOR SNACKS:

Myeongdong Station, Deli Manjoo right in the middle. These are all over Seoul, sure, but this one is ALWAYS hot and ALWAYS fresh. At most subway stations, they smell REALLY great, but they just make them and store them in a hot light box. These are the best. It's a small pastry filled with custard.

http://seoulsearching.net/2013/01/09/snackin-on-the-go/
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Bong Chu Jim-Dak (sound it out!): Jim Dak is one of my favorite Korean foods. It's filling, has great flavor and has that "stick to your ribs" home feel. It's glass noodles in a (slightly)spicy soy broth with boiled chicken, potatoes and vegetables. At the end, ask for bo keum noo loong ji. It's a pan fried rice that's all crispy that they set in the sauce. THE BEST.

There are three of them in Myeongdong.

Saemaul Sikdang - spicy bulgogi, delicious so-geum goo-ee (sounding it out), and kimchi jee-gay

**This restaurant is actually right across from Bon Juk!**

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ore-Seoul.html

I eat at this chain usually twice a month haha.

FOR SNACKS:

Myeongdong Station, Deli Manjoo right in the middle. These are all over Seoul, sure, but this one is ALWAYS hot and ALWAYS fresh. At most subway stations, they smell REALLY great, but they just make them and store them in a hot light box. These are the best. It's a small pastry filled with custard.

http://seoulsearching.net/2013/01/09/snackin-on-the-go/
I will definitely try all these spots in Seoul at the end of the month. My mouth is just salivating at the thought of all your recommendations. Thanks againmikesaidyes.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gracall
Thanks for the heads up. ^ I am looking forward to putting on some "serious" weight in ICN the coming weeks.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by luvFclass
Will be staying in the Westin Chosun MyeongDong area of town, and was wondering if there is a nice Korean Congee (Bonjuk?) place nearby that I can sample as a touristy bucket list eatery? I Am willing to travel all over Seoul to sample the local culture, and most importantly, the food. The more it tastes like Mom cooked it, the better. Okay my Korean friend's Mom.

I eat in every $$ demographic, but for some reason, I keep coming back to Korean comfort foods, like CHI-MEK, Bibimbap, Galbi etc.....^

I saw the restaurant in the K-Drama City Hall. Here is a picture of the chain restaurant.

Thanks!

LFC

PS: ICN stay dates: April 28-May1. Any FT'ers in the area, feel free to meet and greet.
You should try Ha dong gom tang Near the KEB building in Myeongdong. They only serve one dish - gom tang and that's it. 80 years of tradition.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luvFclass

Thanks!

LFC

You should try Ha dong kwan gom tang near the KEB headquarters building in Myeongdong. They only serve one dish - gom tang and that's it. 80 years of tradition.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by gracall
Bonjuk is a chain, it's like going to five guys burger in the US. It's good but Myeongdong has so much more to offer.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
You should try Ha dong kwan gom tang near the KEB headquarters building in Myeongdong. They only serve one dish - gom tang and that's it. 80 years of tradition.
Brewing the same bone for 80 years.
Getting hungry for Lunch.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Myeongdong Gyoza is also a landmark place to eat. Tasty and doesn't break the budget either. Long lineups because it's worth it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Myeongdong Gyoza is also a landmark place to eat. Tasty and doesn't break the budget either. Long lineups because it's worth it.
Free refill on noodles...
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:58 am

Also, if you go to the basement of the Lotte Department Store in Myeongdong, you'll find some GREAT snacks. It's a good activity to do in Korea and Japan. Department store food...mmmmmh.

For street food, also try Gwangjin Market for Korean snacks. The "wild" Korean snacks like ddeok bokki, pig's feet and soon dae. Yes, a lot of tourists do go there, but it's a definite Korean experience.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Also, if you go to the basement of the Lotte Department Store in Myeongdong, you'll find some GREAT snacks. It's a good activity to do in Korea and Japan. Department store food...mmmmmh.

For street food, also try Gwangjin Market for Korean snacks. The "wild" Korean snacks like ddeok bokki, pig's feet and soon dae. Yes, a lot of tourists do go there, but it's a definite Korean experience.
You mean Gwangjang market near Jongno 5ga? It's a bit far to go to Gwangjin-gu for soondae, ddeokbokki and the like.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by skchin
Bonjuk is a chain, it's like going to five guys burger in the US. It's good but Myeongdong has so much more to offer.
Completely agreed on Myeongdong variety, but for the same reason folks ask for five guys, in-n-out, shake shack when visiting the states, starting off from an easily recognizable chain don't hurt.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:18 am

Yes, Gwangjang, obviously.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.