Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

72h no VISA transfer in Shanghai, travel to North Korea.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I am travelling to North Korea on the marathon tour. As with all other North Korean tours the tour is originated in China, in Shanghai in my case. I am not in the possession of Chinese visa and intend to use 72 hours visa free transfer policy. I will have the confirmed tickets with North Korean airline but no physical scan of the North Korean VISA. Anyone had experience of doing such transfer? I have no worries of not being allowed to transfer in Shanghai but rather not being allowed to board Shanghai-bound China Southern flight originating in Hong Kong. Travel agent advises that 72h visa free policy is valid for travel to North Korea, but I have doubts.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
All they look for is your plane ticket. It must be EXACTLY within 72 hours. Not 73. North Korea is still an international country, you'll be fine. Your ticket must go Hong Kong, Shanghai, North Korea. For the purposes of entering China for 72 hours, I doubt they will care about your North Korean visa.

When you're the immigration line, there is a special desk for 72 hour transfer people, by the way.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
All they look for is your plane ticket. It must be EXACTLY within 72 hours. Not 73. North Korea is still an international country, you'll be fine. Your ticket must go Hong Kong, Shanghai, North Korea. For the purposes of entering China for 72 hours, I doubt they will care about your North Korean visa.

When you're the immigration line, there is a special desk for 72 hour transfer people, by the way.
In Shanghai, the 72 hour clock doesn't commence until 00:01 the day after your arrival (Guangzhou has been using this system for 2 years, and several other cities jumped on the bandwagon last fall).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...er-thread.html
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful. Some versions of TIMATIC have confusing words that airline agents can interpret as saying that after the TWOV stay in China, you must go to a third country that requires a visa and for which you already have a visa in your travel documents. The airline can easily interpret this as saying that they should deny boarding because you don't have a visa for the country after China, even if that country does not require a visa.

What routings and airlines do you plan to use?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What routings and airlines do you plan to use?
Already stated in op.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Routing

CZ 510, JS 552. I will have minimal interaction with the agents as I'll print boarding pass and do not have any checked luggage. some airlines do not check entry documents on boarding, not sure of CZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.