Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dogs on the menu?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Dogs on the menu?

Hi all, Iīd like to taste a dog meat in Korea or Shanghai on my next trip, but canīt find any reliable information and my contacts made in Korea seem to be lost. Would you have any suggestions where to go and taste dogs or cats? Thanks a lot

Last edited by brumbrum; Mar 7, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: Skyteam
You can Naver search it when you are in Korea for reviews on the good restaurants that serves canines. Dog and cat food can be bought at your friendly grocery near you.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

haha, sorry, not a native speaker, I meant a food FROM dogs, not FOR them, of course ;-)
Since I donīt speak korean, do you think that putting EN-KR translation into Naver and then translating it back will work succesfully? Thanks very much, I forgot the Naver option ;-)
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I don't know of any famous places. The most famous one, I read, recently closed. Even if you can't speak Korean, you can call 1330 (the tourist information line) and they can tell you where you can go. Or ask your hotel. It's called "bo shin tang" (not proper spelling obviously, but it's for you to sound it out haha).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:09 pm

Just outside Gwangjang Market. Look for the rib cages outside.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:51 am
Original Poster

thanks very much both of you, especially for the last, very helpful post. Hope that it wil remain until my summer visit.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
You can also ask for "kay-go-gi", which is dog meat. Finding places selling dog is much harder than in the past. In 1988, the Olympics committee forced such restaurants into side street and alleyways to avoid a bad reputation of the country. You might find a friendly Korean (maybe older man) who would know where to go.

As for Shanghai, in the years I lived there, I never once saw dog meat, but, of course, I wasn't really looking too hard.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:17 am
Original Poster

made a friend last time in Korea but lost the paper with his phone. Will try the Gwangjang option and if it won't work, then will have to ask around. Hope that korean friendliness will lead me to some boshintang or kaygogi. Maybe these words printed out in KR language will be helpful? Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:54 am

The average person won't really know where to go get it. I mean yes, they're in back alleys and they're everywhere, but it's not something someone usually has a favorite restaurant on rotation.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:21 am
Original Poster

ok, I understand this point. Nobody wants to fight the prejudice probably. Do you think that when I find the cages with four-legged dinners near any of the markets and ask some older men there, it will work? Or would you share any exact places you know? (PM possible and secret-keeping guaranteed).Thanks for your time
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:27 pm

You won't see any cages with dogs (or any cages) in them FOR SURE. And no, the old men probably won't talk to you because you don't speak Korean. Not to mention they're probably drunk and surly. If anyone has a foreigner prejudice, it's usually them haha.

You will only see a tiny restaurant with the letters 보신탕 on the outside. That's it. No dog pictures, no nothing. A lot of places that sell it also sell other soup more prominently and those letters might be tiny or barely visible.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

haha, I donīt think that dogīs pictures will be there :-) OK, will try as hard as possible to find it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

this might be late for the OP but useful to others here. Very good boshintang. I was taken here by numerous colleagues and it's always consistently good. Far from Myeongdong or City Hall, somewhat closer to Park Hyatt but worth it. Ask your hotel concierge to make a booking.

청계산황구
서울특별시 서초구 원지동 375-5
Old May 1, 2015, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
this might be late for the OP but useful to others here. Very good boshintang. I was taken here by numerous colleagues and it's always consistently good. Far from Myeongdong or City Hall, somewhat closer to Park Hyatt but worth it. Ask your hotel concierge to make a booking.

청계산황구
서울특별시 서초구 원지동 375-5
well, not late nor too far :-)
Do I suppose well that you meant an adress (correct in google maps)?
Simple google search directs to some general hwanggu.net, where Iīm a bit lost.
Thanks anyway!
Old May 1, 2015, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It'll work if you're going to drive there, take a taxi and search on Daum, Never or Google Maps.

Hwanggu is the name of the restaurant. I recommend the junggol and su yuk and their dipping sauce.

Last edited by Aventine; May 1, 2015 at 7:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.