Wiki Posts
Search

Club level in Seoul (city hall)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Club level in Seoul (city hall)

Short trip to Seoul coming up. Planning on staying in the City Hall area. Right now I'm thinking the Westin, but curious about the club level lounge. I typically wander the tourist attractions in the day and then spend my evening reading over a few coctails/beers in the club level lounge. Will I be happy with the Westin or is there another hotel I should consider. I have status with Marriott, but don't see good options in that area. This is a short trip, and my frsst to Seoul, so easy transit to/from ICN is important to me.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Also try the Lotte Hotel. The Plaza Hotel is owned by the Chinese, so pass on that. Those are the main "premium" hotels in the area. The Hyatt on Namsan is very inconvenient for getting in and out. All the other chain brands we know in the West are scattered in Gangnam or West Seoul and are not convenient for what you need.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Lotte has a very nice and spacious club lounge also suitable for biz or private meetings.

I personally do like the two Namsan (Millenium) Hilton club lounges a lot. The smoking sections (which by now should be non smoking) especially are rather elegant spaces for private discussions and prime views towards the Namsan slopes.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
I've stayed at the Westin a few times and it remains one of my favorite when visiting Seoul. The lounge area is large, food/drink offering is above average and of good quality compared to other Westin I've visited. Getting seated was never a problem. With the exception of breakfast/cocktail hours, the place is pretty quiet.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Also try the Lotte Hotel. The Plaza Hotel is owned by the Chinese, so pass on that. Those are the main "premium" hotels in the area. The Hyatt on Namsan is very inconvenient for getting in and out. All the other chain brands we know in the West are scattered in Gangnam or West Seoul and are not convenient for what you need.
I've read that the main wing has been renovated at the Lotte and is now better than the new wing?
Old May 22, 2015, 12:32 am
Original Poster

My thoughts on Westin Club Level post-stay

Had a chance to stay at the Westin and so far as the club lounge goes, I was a bit disappointed. The quality of the food/drinks was great, but the availability was poor.

On my arrival night, I was disappointed to realize that the club lounge closes promptly at 10pm. As my arrival was late and the transit takes about 50 minutes, I was unable to visit the lounge at all that evening.

Breakfast was excellent, with a wide selection. I found the staff to be courteous, but in a very superficial way. This was my fist visit to S. Korea, so maybe I am reading things wrong on this point.

I wander about during the day and generally return to the hotel in the evening. I found that by the time I returned back, showered and ate a meal, the club lounge cocktail hour was over. As far as I could tell, the only time alcohol was available was from 6-8pm. I prefer to have an evening drink or two around 10-11pm, so that didn't work out.
The atmosphere of the lounge was pleasant, but not terribly relaxing. Things are set up in an almost restaurant style with tables and chairs filling the space. The lounge lacked cushy seating in any area, though some of the tables had cushioned benches that were okay.

I recently stayed at Langham Place in Hong Kong and loved it; I was hoping for something similar, though the bar has been set high. The Langham club lounge was open late, had a consistent food selection throughout the day, and there was alcohol any time they were open, the staff there went out of their way to make me feel at home. Granted, I paid significantly more for my stay there...

I will be returning to Seoul in July; given my comments, are there other hotels I should consider. I did enjoy the city hall area, but would consider other areas. Is the Lotte near city hall more my style or would I be disappointed there as well?
Old May 22, 2015, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stygian7
Had a chance to stay at the Westin and so far as the club lounge goes, I was a bit disappointed. The quality of the food/drinks was great, but the availability was poor.

On my arrival night, I was disappointed to realize that the club lounge closes promptly at 10pm. As my arrival was late and the transit takes about 50 minutes, I was unable to visit the lounge at all that evening.

Breakfast was excellent, with a wide selection. I found the staff to be courteous, but in a very superficial way. This was my fist visit to S. Korea, so maybe I am reading things wrong on this point.

I wander about during the day and generally return to the hotel in the evening. I found that by the time I returned back, showered and ate a meal, the club lounge cocktail hour was over. As far as I could tell, the only time alcohol was available was from 6-8pm. I prefer to have an evening drink or two around 10-11pm, so that didn't work out.
The atmosphere of the lounge was pleasant, but not terribly relaxing. Things are set up in an almost restaurant style with tables and chairs filling the space. The lounge lacked cushy seating in any area, though some of the tables had cushioned benches that were okay.

I recently stayed at Langham Place in Hong Kong and loved it; I was hoping for something similar, though the bar has been set high. The Langham club lounge was open late, had a consistent food selection throughout the day, and there was alcohol any time they were open, the staff there went out of their way to make me feel at home. Granted, I paid significantly more for my stay there...

I will be returning to Seoul in July; given my comments, are there other hotels I should consider. I did enjoy the city hall area, but would consider other areas. Is the Lotte near city hall more my style or would I be disappointed there as well?
Shilla's executive lounge is quite comfortable. Plush chairs, sofas and a wide selection of alcoholic beverages, drinks and decent to good fare.

JW Marriott Dongdaemun has a very comfortable lounge as well. However, the lounge was kind of going downhill about 3 months ago when they cut the quality, quantity of the juices and finger foods. This on top of already cutting the ice cream and sorbet they had at opening. Dongdaemun is an up and coming area in Seoul with the DDP design plaza.

Conrad also has an executive lounge. I haven't been there in years but it was nice from memory.
I don't think hotels in Korea give alcohol outside of the evening hours though. Grand Hyatt gives tea, side drinks and coffee but I've never asked for alcohol during the day. Maybe I will try next time and report back here.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

I'll check I out those options. I don't want to get too hung up on the alcohol issue, and availability during the day isn't of any concern. However, the early closing time and the fact that alcohol is not available beyond 8pm really cuts into the benefits of an executive lounge for my purposes.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stygian7
I'll check I out those options. I don't want to get too hung up on the alcohol issue, and availability during the day isn't of any concern. However, the early closing time and the fact that alcohol is not available beyond 8pm really cuts into the benefits of an executive lounge for my purposes.
the lounges in Korea are less business exec ones and more for staycationers, couples and families.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On busy weekends, the Westin extends evening happy hour from 6-8 pm to 5-8 pm.

I've heard different reports about whether children are allowed in the lounge.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Aventine
the lounges in Korea are less business exec ones and more for staycationers, couples and families.
Yes, serious business meetings in Korea should be arranged in restaurant cabinets and/or luxury Karaoke bars with full privacy.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
Yes, serious business meetings in Korea should be arranged in restaurant cabinets and/or luxury Karaoke bars with full privacy.
Beef and Gangnam Room Salon. Deal done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.