Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Costco Shopping

Costco Shopping

Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Costco Shopping

It's been more than a few years since I shopped at the Yangjae Costco, but I can recall being pleasantly surprised by how much I could find there, and how much the inventory of local Costco stores in California was available at Costco in Yangjae.

But anyone who shops Costco knows that most of the stuff they sell can't easily be searched via their Web site; one has to go to the store.

So I'm wondering: can I get Cholula at Costco in Yangjae? What is the beer selection like? Wine? Do they sell American beef, or is it all from Australia, like the last time I shopped there? How is the cheese selection? Frozen pizza? Costco fresh-made pizza?

I hate to pack something and then find I can buy it there.

Last edited by zippy the pinhead; Jan 31, 2015 at 2:14 pm Reason: Added stuff
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Sams Club

Can you use US Sam's Club card in Korea?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skchin
Dunno, but the Costco membership is valid internationally. The only restriction I can recall was that I could not pay in a Korean Costco location using my Costco AmEx.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by skchin
No.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
the Costco membership is valid internationally
At the Goyang store, I was told I could use my U.S. Costco card, but they really preferred that I get a local one.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
If there's no Cholulah at Costco, try one of the many foreign markets in Itaewon or any of the department store grocery stores. These days, even emart, Home Plus and Lotte Mart are getting more and more products. I've seen it around.

Not to mention, wouldn't Cholulah and Korean food taste weird? As in the different spicy taste?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
If there's no Cholulah at Costco, try one of the many foreign markets in Itaewon or any of the department store grocery stores. These days, even emart, Home Plus and Lotte Mart are getting more and more products. I've seen it around.

Not to mention, wouldn't Cholula and Korean food taste weird? As in the different spicy taste?
Interesting. Regarding Cholula and Korean food, I have to confess I can't recall trying that, but I use it or something similar on a lot of western food, especially at breakfast. With eggs, it is a must, and also with hash browns or breakfast potatoes of any kind.

Mainly I settled on Cholula not because it's a need, but more as a proxy of what else can be found. I figure if I can find Cholula, what else can't I find? Plus Costco here (in California) does typically stock it, and it's nearly a decade since I was pleasantly surprised to find so much common inventory between Costco here and Costco in Korea. It's gotta be even better now, no?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:59 am

They sell some really, really obscure stuff at the department stores. That being said, I wouldn't use Choluluah as my gauge of popular, common American goods available here. I rarely, if ever, lament not being able to buy it or many things...because most of them are here.

If you're really into hot sauce, you should go to Chili King in Itaewon. He's hot sauce obsessed and has hundreds. Even makes his own. He definitely has Choluluah.

Besides the big stores, the new trend are mom and pop shops opening up in empty stores with a hodge podge of snacks and candies. In my old neighborhood, an hour south of Seoul in the suburbs, this woman has a shop with all the American candies, Tums, ranch, Kraft dressings, flint stones vitamins. The most random stuff.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Dunno, but the Costco membership is valid internationally. The only restriction I can recall was that I could not pay in a Korean Costco location using my Costco AmEx.
I've paid using my Amex at Costco in Korea many times. No problems at all. I have heard rumblings that Costco may look to replace AmEx with a different credit card company, but I do not think anything has changed as of today.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

So expat Seoul residents... if you were back stateside for a few weeks and casually shopping for some goodies to bring back to Seoul, what would you be buying?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:54 am

I'd be buying sauces and seasonings. And different kinds of chips. To be honest, after living here three years, I really enjoy Korean food and rarely miss anything from the US. That being said, when I go back to visit, the grocery store is both awesome and overwhelming. Also, the proliferation of these foreign food stores selling EVERYTHING means that only the truly unique, niche American stuff is left back at home.

In my old town, a suburb one hour south, I can go by Flinstone Gummies, blue cheese dressing, Fun Dip, Tums and ranch seasoning. Obscure, but it's there.

A lot of people also use iherb.com
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Well it seems Costco has selected Citi Visa as their credit card processor. Reports say the change will take effect in April 2016.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
I'd be buying sauces and seasonings. And different kinds of chips. To be honest, after living here three years, I really enjoy Korean food and rarely miss anything from the US. That being said, when I go back to visit, the grocery store is both awesome and overwhelming. Also, the proliferation of these foreign food stores selling EVERYTHING means that only the truly unique, niche American stuff is left back at home.

In my old town, a suburb one hour south, I can go by Flinstone Gummies, blue cheese dressing, Fun Dip, Tums and ranch seasoning. Obscure, but it's there.

A lot of people also use iherb.com
The wife heard from a friend that instant mac & cheese can't be found at eMart, and additionally that the pancake batter-- an easy staple for two boys-- is best purchased here (stateside).

Regarding sauces and seasoning, I did send some carne asada seasoning to a friend in Seoul. Part of a care package, if you will.

I'll be curious to see.

For me personally, I need to search out some good locations for buying craft IPA in Seoul. I can't get to any PX, so I need to find civilian-accessible sources. I would even be happy with SNPA in a pinch.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:10 pm

Every department store will have a craft beer selection. In addition, craft beer is the rage these days - check out Craftworks or Magpie. Also, there is a huge beer mart in Itaewon that has tables outside for drinking (cheaper than a bar). It's called Han's Store.

emart, HomePlus and Lotte Mart all have expanded beer selections, too. You'll be fine.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:11 pm

High Street Market is also the OG for foreign foods and good beer, but they can also be really overpriced (more than it already is as an imported good).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.