Reload this Page >

Banking!?

Banking!?

Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Banking!?

Gang,

First time ever going to Asia, (Japan for a couple days but I'll have a guide) and Seoul (solo). Wanted to know about banking, I've emailed my bank but haven't heard back yet.

Details:

- Canadian
- Bank with TD

I just wanna know what the situation with ATMs is going to be. I know travelling in Colombia my card works only at certain brands of ATM. But because I won't be in Seoul too long I'd love to just KNOW ahead of time which machines would likely accept my card. I can get some more currency in advance, but I don't want to get too much of it, I'd rather take it out as I need it.

Also, I'm reading credit card availability is pretty good there, anything I need to know? I've got a Visa through TD.

PS...If anyone knows about Japan (Tokyo)/Brazil (Sao Paulo/Rio) for the same questions feel free to post em!

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
In Seoul, you can use your Visa card everywhere. To withdraw cash, you must find a Global ATM, but they're usually at every bank. Also, at the convenience stores, most of the ATMs that have an English option will take your foreign card. At a bank with several ATMs, you just have to make sure it's a Global ATM. There will be a sticker on the machine.

Japan is a different beast for ATMs. Very few are global. I remember having difficulty there at several banks.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Brilliant thanks man, I'm more focused on Korea, I'll be there 5 days. In Japan I'm overnighting, but I'll be hanging with a friend who lives there so it's not a big concern.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:19 pm

I found the hardest part about getting cash from Korea's ATM is to remember to select the 50,000 won bills options. Try withdrawing 400,000 won (about $400 US) and forgot to select the 50,000 won bills, you end up with a big stacks of 10,000 won bills...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
In Seoul, you can use your Visa card everywhere. To withdraw cash, you must find a Global ATM, but they're usually at every bank. Also, at the convenience stores, most of the ATMs that have an English option will take your foreign card. At a bank with several ATMs, you just have to make sure it's a Global ATM. There will be a sticker on the machine.

Japan is a different beast for ATMs. Very few are global. I remember having difficulty there at several banks.
There are Global ATMs at most major hotel chains. Not all banks do this, I know I tried in Seoul and Suwon.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Need
I found the hardest part about getting cash from Korea's ATM is to remember to select the 50,000 won bills options. Try withdrawing 400,000 won (about $400 US) and forgot to select the 50,000 won bills, you end up with a big stacks of 10,000 won bills...
Nice to know I am not the only one who learned this hard way. I can imagine they have hidden cameras hidden in ATMs at ICN to record foreigners' facial expressions when it starts spewing bills. At least someone would get good laughs out of such images.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
The worst is getting a check from the ATM. I made that mistake when I moved here. It's very odd. It prints out, essentially, what looks like a gift certificate.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Kallio
Nice to know I am not the only one who learned this hard way. I can imagine they have hidden cameras hidden in ATMs at ICN to record foreigners' facial expressions when it starts spewing bills. At least someone would get good laughs out of such images.
Welcome to pre-2010.

I had to carry 40million in 10k notes once. That was fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.