Transiting ICN Terminal A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting ICN Terminal A

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM+ Miles/OW Emerald; DL Lifetime Silver/1MM+ Miles; Hilton; Marriott; IHG
Question Transiting ICN Terminal A

I will be transiting Seoul-Incheon International Airport Terminal A on my way from DXB to HNL. The inbound and outbound flights will be on EK and HA, respectively, that both appear to operate from Terminal A and I have a 4 hour layover to make the connection. Both flights are booked in business class and issued as separate tickets, however, EK has an interline agreement with HA and may be able to check luggage and print boarding passes for the entire journey. Otherwise, I will need to retrieve the luggage from EK in ICN and recheck it with HA, as well as obtain the boarding pass from ICN to HNL. Since this is my first time transiting ICN, I have a few questions as follows:

1. If EK will interline the luggage from DXB to HNL, then upon my arrival at ICN will I be able to stay in the same departures area as HA without having to pass through immigration, security, etc?

2. If EK will not interline the luggage and I have to claim it at ICN, then how easy or difficult should I anticipate the entire process being for clearing immigration and customs, rechecking with HA, passing through security, etc?

3. Do EK and/or HA business class passengers have access to any lounges in the terminal and (if so) which one(s)?

Thanks in advance and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Oasis

1. If EK will interline the luggage from DXB to HNL, then upon my arrival at ICN will I be able to stay in the same departures area as HA without having to pass through immigration, security, etc?

2. If EK will not interline the luggage and I have to claim it at ICN, then how easy or difficult should I anticipate the entire process being for clearing immigration and customs, rechecking with HA, passing through security, etc?

3. Do EK and/or HA business class passengers have access to any lounges in the terminal and (if so) which one(s)?

Thanks in advance and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
1. Yes

2. Depends on your passport, although the setup is very modern and easy to do there. Very easy if US (western in general I think) passport. For other areas I don't know, but like I said it's quite modern and fast-moving, etc. Check-in area is large, open, easy to use also. Only issue might be waiting for HA to open the check-in counters. Whereas KE/OZ etc would let you check-in any time since you're in biz, they have various counters always staffed. The HA flight might not have anyone around to do that, but by the time you get bags etc. maybe it's already opened or someone is around.

3. Not likely to get an EK arrivals lounge (although I'm guessing) but HA does have access to a partner lounge. http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/hawa...s/lounges.aspx
Not sure which one that is, but lists a gate number.

Last edited by maverick17; Nov 22, 2014 at 5:19 pm
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM+ Miles/OW Emerald; DL Lifetime Silver/1MM+ Miles; Hilton; Marriott; IHG
Thanks, Maverick17, for the prompt and informative reply. ^
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:22 pm

Sorry just reread #1 and noticed two things I missed yesterday. To clarify, you don't have to go through immigration to transfer, but you do have to do security of course. Arrive lower level, go through security and work your way upstairs as in many places. This is available in the satellite concourse where you likely will arrive.

And the other thing I was thinking about is you mention luggage and interline, but I didn't think at first about checkin and getting a boarding pass. Maybe being able to interline implies having a boarding pass and being checked in already. But if not, and with Hawaiian being a bit smaller, you'll have to find a place that will allow the transfer or get boarding pass in the transfer area. Since HA are smaller and just that one flight a day to ICN, finding ability to checkin within the concourse/transfer area might be more difficult; so if you can't find a place to check-in and get a boarding pass (either in satellite concourse or main terminal), or if you can't do OLCI on int'l HA itinerary, that may be difficult and they might make you proceed to #2.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This three has been relocated to the dedicated korea forum for further feedback.

Good luck.

~Moderator, Asia Forum
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I believe the lounge for HA in the Concourse terminal is handled by Korean Air. It is bright and airy inside with a good view of airplanes moving about the airport. The lounge is located one floor above the departure gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.