Where to stay and what to see?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay and what to see?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Hilton and Hyatts are not in my desired location so I am going for Seoul Royal hotel and it starts between 14k to 25K AA miles a night when booked with useaamiles.com

I am bit confused here as they describe their bed types as double or single. Don't know if it means king or queen. We are a couple with a baby who needs a crib.
If I book the ones with 24k miles a night it says executive with breakfast for 1?

Standard Double Room - 1 double bed
One double bed. Electronic/magnetic keys. Cable/satellite TV. Phone with voice mail. In-room safe. Refrigerator. Coffee/tea maker. Complimentary bottled water. High-speed Internet access. Private en-suite bathroom with bidet, bathroom scale, hair dryer, bathrobes, slippers, complimentary toiletries. Additional towels/bedding in room. Additional towels/bedding available. Climate control.

See more

Special deal

30,767 AAdvantage Miles 14,517 AAdvantage Miles Avg room/night Select
Standard Twin Room - 2 single beds
2 single beds. Cable/satellite TV. Phone with voice mail. In-room safe. Refrigerator. Coffee/tea maker. Complimentary bottled water. High-speed Internet access. En-suite bathroom with hair dryer, bathrobes, complimentary toiletries.

See more

Special deal

33,567 AAdvantage Miles 15,834 AAdvantage Miles Avg room/night Select
Deluxe Twin Room - 2 single beds
One double bed and one single bed. Electronic/magnetic keys. Cable/satellite TV. Phone with voice mail. In-room safe. Refrigerator. Coffee/tea maker. Complimentary bottled water. High-speed Internet access. Private en-suite bathroom with bidet, bathroom scale, hair dryer, bathrobes, slippers, complimentary toiletries. Additional towels/bedding in room; additional towels/bedding available.

See more

Special deal

40,100 AAdvantage Miles 18,917 AAdvantage Miles Avg room/night Select
Executive Double Room (w/Breakfast for 1) - 1 double bed
1 double bed. Located on floors 13 and 15. Electronic/magnetic keys. High-speed Internet access. Coffee/tea maker. Complimentary bottled water. Private bathroom. Bidet. Bathroom scale. Slippers. Complimentary toiletries. Additional towels/bedding in room; additional towels/bedding available. Climate control.

Rate includes access to the Executive Lounge and the following:
Express check-in and check-out
Breakfast
Happy-hour service from 6 PM to 8 PM (limited to one bottle of beer or one glass of wine)
Snack service and tea, coffee, and soft drinks
International newspapers
Secretarial services
Access to the meeting room

See more

Special deal

45,684 AAdvantage Miles 21,550 AAdvantage Miles Avg room/night Select
Standard Triple Room - 3 beds
3 beds
Entertainment - Free WiFi, satellite channels, and pay movies
Food & Drink - Refrigerator, minibar, and coffee/tea maker
Bathroom - Private bathroom with bathrobes, slippers, and free toiletries

See more

Special deal

52,217 AAdvantage Miles 24,634 AAdvantage Miles Avg room/night Select
Continue
Reviews
+ Expand reviews
Traveler Rating
(554 Reviews)
5 most recent reviews

Glenn D

02/04/15

Havant, United Kingdom
Excellent choice
Stayed here on a 23hr stop over between Sydney and london with Aisiana airlines. The hotel for 3 of us (2 x twin rooms) was included in the price of our flight price (less than £1k return). Excellent...
+ Full Review

Thomase77

01/20/15

Cardiff
Excellent
Stayed at this hotel during s one night stop over in seoul - it is the transit hotel for asiana airlines. It took about 50 minutes to get back and forth the airport so we saw lots of the sights of...
+ Full Review

SarahLambo

01/19/15

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Great service
We stayed at the hotel as part of an Asiana ticket to Australia and didn't know what to expect. The hotel is right in the centre of town so lots to explore. The staff were excellent, friendly and...
+ Full Review

mustknow05

01/18/15

Singapore, Singapore
convenient shopping at your doorstep
Very well located with plenty of street lanes for food n shopping..night matket starts sriubd 6.30 and you csn taste local finger food from krw500 onwards.the famous underground dhopping centre is...
+ Full Review

shyamrupani

01/16/15

al khobar
Rupani's review
Excellent hotel for business people, comfortable, good lounge, plenty of free food,soft drinks, tea/coffee, and in happy hours free wine and beer, secretarial services, quick return laundry, very...
+ Full Review
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Jung-gu is the central district of Seoul. In that district is Myeongdong, the main tourist area with hotels, shopping and street food. Also nearby is Jongno (which is, technically Jongno-gu), where the major tourist attractions are (palace, Gwangjang Market, Insadong, Samcheongdong, Hanok Village).

The Hilton is next to Seoul Station, but kind of a dead zone. The closest, FlyerTalk-requested major hotel chain to the action is the Westin Chosun. The Grand Hyatt is far up a mountain and isolated. There is a Korean chain, Lotte Hotel, which is huge in its own right. There's also The Plaza, but it's owned by the Chinese. Pass. On. That.

If you don't need an IHG/Starwood/etc chain, or you don't want to pay $300 a night, you'll need to look into Myeongdong Hotels, like I mentioned. They should all have suites. Another good chain would be the Ibis Hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:35 pm

A single is like a twin. double is a double bed. A queen is a queen.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

We don't need any Visas to visit Seoul & Singapore right? We have US passports. We are 2 adults & an infant. Anything else we have to show at the immigration counter at those 2 airports? DO they ask you any questions or forms to fill out?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Just passports in both cases, as long as you aren't planning to work or settle in for the long haul. If you're normal tourists, you won't need a visa.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Jung-gu is the central district of Seoul. In that district is Myeongdong, the main tourist area with hotels, shopping and street food. Also nearby is Jongno (which is, technically Jongno-gu), where the major tourist attractions are (palace, Gwangjang Market, Insadong, Samcheongdong, Hanok Village).

The Hilton is next to Seoul Station, but kind of a dead zone. The closest, FlyerTalk-requested major hotel chain to the action is the Westin Chosun. The Grand Hyatt is far up a mountain and isolated. There is a Korean chain, Lotte Hotel, which is huge in its own right. There's also The Plaza, but it's owned by the Chinese. Pass. On. That.

If you don't need an IHG/Starwood/etc chain, or you don't want to pay $300 a night, you'll need to look into Myeongdong Hotels, like I mentioned. They should all have suites. Another good chain would be the Ibis Hotel.
I can't do Hilton, Hyatt cos even though they are my preferred choice, the location is not good for me. I like the Westin but too expensive and don't have enough points. I think I am looking at the Seoul Royal for its location and not being less than 3 star?The lotte hotel is costly too. I can book the SR with my AA miles and they currently have good deal. other non chain in that hotel is
ibis Ambassador Seoul Insadong ? I checked it online and it is on sale too. Also seeing Astoria Hotel, PJ. central mark

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Feb 12, 2015 at 5:06 pm
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

What are popular Korean dishs? I haven't tried any other than kimchi and noodles! Being an Asian myself I love rice and curry dishes and spicy food. Any menus or names I can see with pictures? Thanks a lot! Excited about my trip there in March
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:04 pm

Korean food is extremely delicious and not very offensive with wild tastes. Lots of red pepper and sesame oil haha.

Kimbap - like sushi. Koreans eat for breakfast even. Also at lunch with ramen noodles. My favorite type is donkatsu kimbap (fried pork cutlet inside, which gives it nice crunch), but the most common flavor is tuna. You can get this at any kimbap shop, which sells kimbap and other "Korean fast foods" like fried rice, noodles, etc. and each dish is around 3-5,000W.

Bulgogi - go to a chain called Saemaul Sikdang. They have an English menu with pictures. Traditional Korean barbecue - get the bulgogi and also the Sogeumgui - aka Salt Meat. It's like a pork ribeye that you grill and is so good. They also have a very delicious kimchi jjigae (soup).

As Myeongdong is the main tourist neighborhood, you will find a lot of menus with English on them and their prices are not out of control.

Also, if you like curry, look for a chain called Abiko Curry. They do a Japanese style curry with different fried (katsu) things like shrimp, chicken, and pork. Huge portion and free refills on rice and curry, too. There's on in Myeongdong.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:55 am
Original Poster

We don't eat sea food and becos of that we had trouble finding food we wanted to eat when we traveled to Thailand for 3 weeks. We thought I could find all the foods like indian, chinese , or even Thai that didn't have fish or fish sauce but we were wrong. It was fish and fish sauce everywhere there.

It will be better in Seoul right?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:54 am

Korean food is often made with fish in the stock, but you do not taste it. For example, kimchi actually has some fish sauce in it. The most common soup, dwaenjang, is full of tofu and vegetables, but you will occasionally find clams in it (again, the overall taste is not fish). Some other soups, like bean sprout soup, have a clear broth and simple taste, but they still use anchovies in the broth.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Stick to bbq beef and chicken. Both of these you will find easily almost everywhere.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:08 am
Original Poster

--------
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:29 am

I think there are lots of non seafood korean dishes, though some of the best dishes are seafood based.

There is:
1. Ginseng chicken soup
2. Oxtail or beef soup with noodles
3. BBQ beef/pork/chicken (galbi, bulgolgi etc)
4. Mandu (dumplings)
5. Kimbab as mentioned
6. Fried chicken with beer

There are also western food like hamburgers, pizza, kfc and such.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I booked executive room for 2 and a baby. We checked in at executive lounge. The lady hardly could understand any English. There was no hi or hello and gave us the key and breakfast info and it is for 1 person only
We were given room on 18th floor but it is just so tiny there were hardly spaces to store our bags. Tried to make a coffee but the jug was dirty in and out. I took it down for a cleaning or replacement. Will update more
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:45 pm

Ask to change the room, very simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.