Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Quick trip to Seoul in late October

Quick trip to Seoul in late October

Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
aztimm, so how was your trip.

I am also doing a MR - 3 day stay, first time in Seoul, also staying at the conrad. Please let me know what transfers you decided, etc - Basically all your questions answered.
I'm on my way there right now. At DFW waiting for my flight to NRT, then on to ICN.

Not sure if I'll do a formal trip report (in the Trip Reports forum), but I'll at least post some highlights here.

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
One major setback: Yeouido is generally, outside of Mon-Fri work hours, a ghost town. I'd recommend another area if you only have a short time and lots to do.
I've stayed in similar areas of London and NYC, and was pleasantly surprised how busy things were, despite most of the M-F workers being home.
As it is pretty much too late now, I'll stick with it and see what happens.

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Also, if you are getting T Money - you can put enough for the bus on it, too. That way you don't have to worry about cash when you leave.

As far as a tailor made suit, they (Along with the street vendors) are a part of the old, dying Itaewon. As Itaewon is INCREDIBLY trendy and "international" (in a Korean sense, not like the old days), the old Itaewon is dying out. I've never seen or heard of ANYONE stepping foot inside one of those tailor shops in the three years I've been here.
I thought I read that about the T-money card somewhere, that it worked for the express bus both ways. I'll probably put ~$40 on it, and can always add more if needed.

I had an awesome experience with a tailor on my last trip to Seoul. After being measured (nearly my entire body), picking out styles, colors, thread, and settling on a price (I first negotiated in English, then switched to Korean, which brought the price much lower), I ordered a suit.
I was only there a few days from Tokyo on that trip, and was worried about not being able to pick up my suit. I paid, and he said he'd ship it to my home back in the US (I was going back to Tokyo for a few more weeks of school).
Within a week, to my surprise, my Mom sent me a message saying that I got a package from Korea. Of course it was the suit. The tailor even sent me a Christmas card that year.
Sorry to hear that they're a dying breed
I do plan to walk through Itaewon, and if the mood strikes, perhaps even venture into a tailor shop.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
From the Conrad you can walk to the Han river easily. Make your way to the Yeouido park. Walk towards the North West side of the park. From there, you will see a tunnel that leads you to the riverfront. Once through the tunnel, you can go in either direction for a very long time!

Did you know.... there used to be an international airport at Yeouido.

Tailored shirts and suits? Yes! If not the suit, at least the shirts. A custom fitted shirt between $40-55? I've bought my shirts from here for the last several years and have never gone back to off-the-shelf shirts from anywhere else. The price is right and the fit is excellent. If you do go, I believe they prefer payment in cash.

Last edited by nme7; Oct 23, 2014 at 11:17 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So far the trip is going well.

Plane landed at ICN around 9:15pm, and I was on the train going into town by 10:15.
My aircraft had parked at the remote area, so we had to take the train to the main building. There was a bit of a line for immigration...but I was on the right side, which I'd recommend. As the domestic lines go down, someone moved us over to those agents.

The major issue I had was getting an ATM to work for me! I had used 3, and got errors. I had brought some US cash (and also have Canadian cash in my wallet), was about to cave in, and tried one more ATM, which worked ^
I think my problem is that my ATM card expired 2 years ago My bank must not really care, as I've used it many times since then. But some of the machines here do care. (note: I'll get a new ATM card after this trip!)

There were a few bothersome guys trying to get me to ride in their taxi. I gave a firm no to one, and none bothered me after that.

The first 7-11 at ICN was out of T-Money Cards, but they directed me to another. That one had plenty, and I had no problem getting it, and the clerk put money on it right away.
Alternatively, if you're passing through earlier, I noticed another 7-11 down near the parking/on way to the train. It was closed when I went through, but imagine it wouldn't be that busy at other times.

After the whole experience with getting an ATM to work, and near the other convenience store, I just followed signs for the train. I almost got on the nonstop to Seoul Station, but then noticed all the warnings, so walked across to the one that does stop.
It was just under an hour on the train, I got off at the station just before Seoul Station. Transferred to the #5 subway, and took that 3 stops. My hotel had sent me detailed instructions on which exit, walking through the IFC mall, etc, which really helped get here.
The mall was closed, but I still passed through no problems.
I think it was less than 5,000W for the whole trip from ICN to hotel.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Re: T-Money. The only place that sells them is the GS25 by Door 10.

Also, re: immigration: Next to the Korean line is the BEST secret. When there are no Koreans (which is often), they let your line use the Korean ones. Sometimes, the Korean side is on your left or your right. Just stand at the closest one to the Korean line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.