Cellphone plan recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cellphone plan recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Jay71
Any guidance what people are seeing in terms of battery life using the Olleh Egg? Some quick googling pull up a range of 4hrs to 6-8hrs to 9+hrs depending on the model.

Also, do they use a micro-USB connection for charging? I've got a couple of battery packs that I'm hoping to use to keep them powered through the day.
Just a follow-up to my question for future reference...
It appears the egg I received, gets about 9hrs usage on a full charge. It has a micro USB which I was able to plug a battery pack into and charge it up on the fly.
Most days, we were out for about 8hrs, gave the egg a bit of a charge during a pitstop back at the hotel for ~2hrs, and then headed out again until close to midnight. The charge on the egg worked out well for us in this scenario.

One issue is plugs/charging. It was a bit of a juggling act with all the things we needed to charge up (overnight) with the limited wall sockets/adapters we had and not having power in the room while we're out. The egg was one more item to charge.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
For anyone else in the future that has plug problems, you can charge the Egg at a convenience store. It's usually 1,000-2,000₩ for 30 mins to 1 hr Korean is usually required, but usually the charging ports are next to the register. They're usually for phones, but Egg has common port size. Hand motions and just say "battery" (same word in Kirean) and they should get the picture.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:10 am

To anyone considering EG Mobile, I strongly advise against it now.

Last year these worked fine. This year both cards I got (SO and I) failed to register. Call line was useless since no one picked up for two days. Hotel concierge told me that she's seen a good number of these cards and they always fail to work.

There are many complaints against this service now, such as on FB.

There is an alternative by SK Telecom but you have to buy these in Seoul.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:36 pm

Just another follow-up as we got back from another few days in Seoul and used the Olleh Egg again.
The "egg" we got this time was a bit bigger (though still fits on the palm of your hand) though thinner with similar battery life.
Encountered a lack of signal within a few bars/restaurants we visited.
Saw some people at a few bars/restaurants, handing over their phones to the barkeep/waiter to charge.
Didn't make a reservation ahead of time and thus got dinged for an extra 3000W/day rental charge.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jay71
Just another follow-up as we got back from another few days in Seoul and used the Olleh Egg again.
The "egg" we got this time was a bit bigger (though still fits on the palm of your hand) though thinner with similar battery life.
Encountered a lack of signal within a few bars/restaurants we visited.
Saw some people at a few bars/restaurants, handing over their phones to the barkeep/waiter to charge.
Didn't make a reservation ahead of time and thus got dinged for an extra 3000W/day rental charge.
Restaurants will usually charge it for patrons. Some even have an Android, Apple charging station setup behind the counter. Can even bring your own charger and ask them to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.