Wiki Posts
Search

Gyeongju to Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, NW
Gyeongju to Seoul

After 35 years of traveling to Asia, I'm making my first visit to Korea, and for the most part, I have things planned. FWIW, I'm taking the Beetle from Fukuoka to Busan than proceeding to Gyeongju and Seoul.

The question I have is whether the route Busan->Gyeongju-> Seoul is better by bus or by train. In particular, I notice that there's a Singyeongju Station, but it's unclear whether the KTX goes that far yet.

On the whole, I prefer trains to buses, but if I have to take a local from Gyeongju to somewhere else (Daegu?) to catch the KTX, are transfers difficult or easy?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:33 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ksandness
After 35 years of traveling to Asia, I'm making my first visit to Korea, and for the most part, I have things planned. FWIW, I'm taking the Beetle from Fukuoka to Busan than proceeding to Gyeongju and Seoul.

The question I have is whether the route Busan->Gyeongju-> Seoul is better by bus or by train. In particular, I notice that there's a Singyeongju Station, but it's unclear whether the KTX goes that far yet.

On the whole, I prefer trains to buses, but if I have to take a local from Gyeongju to somewhere else (Daegu?) to catch the KTX, are transfers difficult or easy?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, Shingyeongju station is on the KTX. I've taken it from there to Daejeon, but you can certainly take it all the way to Seoul too. IIRC, there's a somewhat hidden bus stop in Gyeongju from where you catch a bus to Shingyeongju station.

Good choice about visiting Gyeongju. The sights are spread out, and I'd recommend learning the right (tourist) bus numbers before arriving. Either that, or rent a bike!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Yes, KTX goes to Singyeongju. There are tons of trains that stop there from Busan and back to Seoul. Like every 10 minutes almost. A taxi from Singyeongju to downtown Gyeongju is 15,000W. There are tons of buses that go to downtown Gyeongju as well.

You should definitely rent a bike around downtown.

If you want to go to Bulguksa or Seokram Grotto, take bus 10 or 11 from downtown. Once you get to Bulguksa, there is one bus, #12, that will take you up to the Grotto. When you get off the bus at Bulguksa, be sure to tap your T Money card on the way out. You can transfer to the Seokram bus for free. I also recommend walking down the mountain from Seokram to Bulguksa when you're finished. It's an easy, downhill, walk.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, NW
This is great information. Thanks!

I wanted to see something besides Seoul, and since I like history, I thought that Gyeongju would be the best choice.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:44 pm

We took an express bus from Gyeongju to Seoul and that took about 2.5 hours with one short pitstop at a highway rest stop.

The highway rest stop was like a mini shopping mall. lol
It was really big with lots of food stalls and shops.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Same bus numbers after 2 years? Is there a schedule and/or a route map?

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Yes, KTX goes to Singyeongju. There are tons of trains that stop there from Busan and back to Seoul. Like every 10 minutes almost. A taxi from Singyeongju to downtown Gyeongju is 15,000W. There are tons of buses that go to downtown Gyeongju as well.

You should definitely rent a bike around downtown.

If you want to go to Bulguksa or Seokram Grotto, take bus 10 or 11 from downtown. Once you get to Bulguksa, there is one bus, #12, that will take you up to the Grotto. When you get off the bus at Bulguksa, be sure to tap your T Money card on the way out. You can transfer to the Seokram bus for free. I also recommend walking down the mountain from Seokram to Bulguksa when you're finished. It's an easy, downhill, walk.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:52 pm

Yes, it's the same bus number. They are local buses.

When are you going to Gyeongju? If it's the weekend, expect the buses to be very full. Just squeeze your way in. If you don't mind spending the extra money, a taxi from downtown to the temple and the grotto is around 20,000W if I remember correctly.

As far as a location, the main hotel is nice in quality, but kind of far if you're just going for a day or two. Especially on weekends, the traffic from the downtown tourist sites to that area is tough, and it can take maybe 20 minutes for a very short distance.

Gyeongju the city is a very normal Korean city and is quiet. That being said, we've always stayed downtown. For a short trip, it's central to what you need.

Our general routine is KTX in the morning, arriving just after lunch. Take a taxi to downtown (roughly 15,0000W). Once downtown, we grab lunch near the big park and the tombs. There's a lot of EXTREMELY similar restaurants, so just go for anything there.

Rent a bike anywhere near the park and ride it around to your content. You can use it to ride down to the museum, Anapji, etc. Also, if you go behind Anapji and away from the downtown, there's some good scenery with the mountains and canola flower fields. The bikes you pay like 5,000W each and can ride them as long as you like.

If you go to the temple and the grotto, it's about 45 minutes from downtown by bus. Going to those two places will take the larger portion of a day. The grotto is a quick view, and I'd recommend going there first. The temple is what you make of it, but I'd say about an hour there, too. The walk down the mountain from grotto to temple is nice. Well marked path, many people, maybe 20-30 minutes? I don't remember exactly.

As far as other hotels, yes, your options are love motels. That being said, these are always clean. Especially in a tourist town, they are used to normal tourists staying there and are a popular choice. The love motel always has a reputation, but, honestly, in Korea, they're where you really stay. Outside of like major chains in Seoul, these are what you get. I'd certainly stay in a Gyeongju love motel over these giant, old, ugly "tourist hotels" you see here and there.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Yes, it's the same bus number. They are local buses.

When are you going to Gyeongju? If it's the weekend, expect the buses to be very full. Just squeeze your way in. If you don't mind spending the extra money, a taxi from downtown to the temple and the grotto is around 20,000W if I remember correctly.

As far as a location, the main hotel is nice in quality, but kind of far if you're just going for a day or two. Especially on weekends, the traffic from the downtown tourist sites to that area is tough, and it can take maybe 20 minutes for a very short distance.

Gyeongju the city is a very normal Korean city and is quiet. That being said, we've always stayed downtown. For a short trip, it's central to what you need.

Our general routine is KTX in the morning, arriving just after lunch. Take a taxi to downtown (roughly 15,0000W). Once downtown, we grab lunch near the big park and the tombs. There's a lot of EXTREMELY similar restaurants, so just go for anything there.

Rent a bike anywhere near the park and ride it around to your content. You can use it to ride down to the museum, Anapji, etc. Also, if you go behind Anapji and away from the downtown, there's some good scenery with the mountains and canola flower fields. The bikes you pay like 5,000W each and can ride them as long as you like.

If you go to the temple and the grotto, it's about 45 minutes from downtown by bus. Going to those two places will take the larger portion of a day. The grotto is a quick view, and I'd recommend going there first. The temple is what you make of it, but I'd say about an hour there, too. The walk down the mountain from grotto to temple is nice. Well marked path, many people, maybe 20-30 minutes? I don't remember exactly.

As far as other hotels, yes, your options are love motels. That being said, these are always clean. Especially in a tourist town, they are used to normal tourists staying there and are a popular choice. The love motel always has a reputation, but, honestly, in Korea, they're where you really stay. Outside of like major chains in Seoul, these are what you get. I'd certainly stay in a Gyeongju love motel over these giant, old, ugly "tourist hotels" you see here and there.
Great itinerary. Do you negotiate with these taxis or do you pay via meter?

Also, if I took a taxi from the Hilton to the Grotto and then walked down to the temple would it be easy to get another taxi from there to either Gwaereung Tomb or back to the Hilton?

And finally - do you have any idea if it is better to take a bus from Gyeongju to Busan or go all the way back to the train and take that? Seems like the bus would be faster since it's closer. Staying at the Westin in Busan.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:35 pm

Yes there will be taxis at Bulguksa. They should do meter and it should be about 15-20. You don't have to haggle for a taxi ride UNLESS you're trying to get an all day deal.

I've read that they have a train from Haeundae (if you're staying at the Westin there), but I honestly don't know much about it. As I live in Seoul, I always take KTX to Singyeongju. I'd just ask your hotel when you're there the fastest way to get to Gyeongju. They'll know for sure.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Yes there will be taxis at Bulguksa. They should do meter and it should be about 15-20. You don't have to haggle for a taxi ride UNLESS you're trying to get an all day deal.

I've read that they have a train from Haeundae (if you're staying at the Westin there), but I honestly don't know much about it. As I live in Seoul, I always take KTX to Singyeongju. I'd just ask your hotel when you're there the fastest way to get to Gyeongju. They'll know for sure.
Thanks, good info.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:55 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Yes, there is a train from Haeundae to Bulguksa. The one I boarded yesterday - the Mugunghwa - stopped at Bulguksa right before Gyeongju.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.