Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please recommend Mandarin-speaking tour guide or travel partner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Please recommend Mandarin-speaking tour guide or travel partner

I'm from Singapore. Will be going to South Korea sometime between 21 May to 4 June 2014 with my family for 7 to 14 days.

We do not like those "shopping stops" for ginseng by-products, pearls, etc typical of packaged tours. This will be the first time we're going to South Korea, and with my elderly parents joining us, travelling free&easy is not feasible. Thus, appreciate any recommendation for a private tour guide or a volunteer travel partner to travel with us and to plan our itinerary.

There will be 5 of us and our "interest ages" include 20, 30, 35 and 70.

The tour guide should be a local Korean or a local resident/student who has in-depth knowledge of Seoul or Jeju and the Korean language. As my parents do not understand English, the person should be able to converse in Mandarin (or alternatively English plus some Mandarin). (We also know some Taiwanese/Hokkien).

Other requirements:

1. Itinerary must include at least Seoul and Jeju.

2. The focus should be on culinary, natural sceneries, fresh air and experiencing the local lifestyle. In addition, some historical and cultural stuffs. Also, we should have some free&easy time for shopping of young adult fashions, skincare, etc. The point is to not just do what a typical packaged tour would do.

3. The pace should be comfortable and not rushing through too many places in a day.

4. We are not well-to-do and do not need a luxury tour. Homestays and 3-star to 4-star accommodations would suffice. Cleanliness is most important.

5. We do not have driving license. The tour guide can take public transport with us, and arrange for a driver for certain places which might be inconvenient for old folks if without a car.

6. The tour guide should know where to bring us for good but affordable food.

7. Not interested in thrill rides. However, one or two family-friendly theme park(s) can be included.

Hope to get some recommendations asap so that we can make bookings for air tickets and accommodations on time.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:33 pm

I suggest that you post your request on TA, you're more likely to get a response than here, where most of us travel on F&E.

Btw, you sound like you're writing a job advert there, and there are way too many requirements which will put any potential "applicants" off.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319
I suggest that you post your request on TA, you're more likely to get a response than here, where most of us travel on F&E.

Btw, you sound like you're writing a job advert there, and there are way too many requirements which will put any potential "applicants" off.
It sounds like they want a tour, but don't want to pay for a package. Unless you are willing to pay your "guide" handsomely, this is a lot of work for local/student that isn't working in the tourism industry.

Judging from how he is wording everything down to exact specifics (also them being from SG), I'd stay well away from making any offers to be their guide (I used to be a free guide for FT'ers when I lived in SEL).
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by SirJman
It sounds like they want a tour, but don't want to pay for a package. Unless you are willing to pay your "guide" handsomely, this is a lot of work for local/student that isn't working in the tourism industry.

Judging from how he is wording everything down to exact specifics (also them being from SG), I'd stay well away from making any offers to be their guide (I used to be a free guide for FT'ers when I lived in SEL).
Hey you seem like the local Korean they are looking for! :P

Anyway, to the OP, in all honesty, I very highly doubt you will be able to find someone who is able to do everything that you expect of him on your list.

You might as well just do your own research, decide what you want to do, and ask for cab/private driver hire in each of the cities (Seoul and Jeju). No one is going to do all these planning for you, unless you go to a travel agency.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirJman

It's not a matter of willingness to pay. Packaged tour is much cheaper than a private tour guide. I've already stated the reason for preferring a private tour over a package tour.

Seems that you're biased against my countrymen.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ319
Hey you seem like the local Korean they are looking for! :P

Anyway, to the OP, in all honesty, I very highly doubt you will be able to find someone who is able to do everything that you expect of him on your list.

You might as well just do your own research, decide what you want to do, and ask for cab/private driver hire in each of the cities (Seoul and Jeju). No one is going to do all these planning for you, unless you go to a travel agency.
So far we've only gotten a few responses from private tour guides from private messages here and other forums. Still discussing.

Meanwhile we're planning for our own free&easy (train + taxi) in Seoul plus joining those days trips in Jeju, just in case. We've got some good advice from a couple of friendly Koreans on planning our itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.