Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 9, 12, 9:23 pm   #1

Programs: Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold
Seoul - any downhill skiing nearby?

We will stay in Seoul for 3 days from Dec 28-31. This is the first time we will visit Seoul and South Korea (except when we transited within the ICN airport).

The question is whether there is any good downhill skiing nearby. Of note, we do not plan to rent a car.
FlyerGoldII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 4:15 am   #2

Programs: OZ D+, Priority Club PlatE, SPG Gold
There is skiing, but it is a 2 hr bus ride from Seoul. I've done this a few times and it's not that bad. However as I see you are from Canada, I think you may have better choices in Canada. Still, if you want to see where the 2018 Winter Olympics will be held, check out this place.

Just one tip if you go... if you take the shuttle bus service, be sure and secure the return ticket as soon as you arrive at the resort. I believe you just need to put your name on the list for the first bus.
nme7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 4:32 am   #3

Programs: Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by nme7 View Post
There is skiing, but it is a 2 hr bus ride from Seoul. I've done this a few times and it's not that bad. However as I see you are from Canada, I think you may have better choices in Canada. Still, if you want to see where the 2018 Winter Olympics will be held, check out this place.

Just one tip if you go... if you take the shuttle bus service, be sure and secure the return ticket as soon as you arrive at the resort. I believe you just need to put your name on the list for the first bus.
If we do ski, we are not committed necessarily to go to the future Olympics site. Are there any closer sites to Seoul, then the one in the link?

We will be staying at the JW Marriott - how far is it from the bus stop, and can one go by subway to the bus stop from the JW Marriott?

A few years ago, we went to Salzburg Austria in the winter time, and skied there. It was, as you can imagine, extremely good skiing. However, you are saying that the skiing, for now, is not so good - are there tourists from North America who come to South Korea in the winter time, who would want to ski?
FlyerGoldII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 5:42 am   #4

There are closer resorts. Take a look here.

If you do decide to go to YongPyong and take the shuttle bus, you can get to Jamsil sation by subway but at that early hour I would recommend taking a taxi there from your hotel.

I suppose there are people that do come for skiing, but Korea isn't exactly famous for the skiing. Having said that, I think it might be a great way to spend New Years. How often do you get a chance to ski in a foreign country?
Old Dec 10, 12, 6:01 pm   #5

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post

We will be staying at the JW Marriott - how far is it from the bus stop, and can one go by subway to the bus stop from the JW Marriott?
The Marriott is directly at the Express Bus Terminal. You can ask the concierge to help you find the correct bus and maybe help buy the ticket. Long distance buses in Korea are cheap and very comfortable with "business class" style seats
cardesigner2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 7:33 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardesigner2000 View Post
The Marriott is directly at the Express Bus Terminal. You can ask the concierge to help you find the correct bus and maybe help buy the ticket. Long distance buses in Korea are cheap and very comfortable with "business class" style seats
Yes, Marriott is right next to the Express Bus Terminal. You could probably find a bus to the resort there. But if you are looking for the Shuttle Bus to take you to YongPyong Resort, then you need to meet at Jamshil subway station.

cardesigner2000 is correct that some of the long distance buses are very nice and comfortable inside.

Just trying to clarify for everyone.

Last edited by nme7; Dec 10, 12 at 7:34 pm. Reason: more info
Old Dec 10, 12, 9:44 pm   #7

When does the ski season usually start and end?
I was in Korea a few weeks ago but didn't look too hard at them since it might have been too early in the season.
Maybe next spring or winter if the timing is right.
mainbill is offline   Reply With Quote