Community
Wiki Posts
Search

North Korea Travel, Experiences and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

North Korea Travel, Experiences and Discussion

Has anyone here done the Beijing tours through North Korea? I'm hoping to do it this August 9th - 17th
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:46 pm

Do a search in the Trip Reports forum.

If I recall correctly there are at least a couple of them. I believe they used Koryo Tours.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
I am planning a trip to DPRK with a few friends around the same time. We are using Koryo Tours.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
I would be concerned that if you go to North Korea, you will forever be tracked by the North Koreans. If some North Korean bigwig psycho wants to do something bad to you, they could. It's possible that you could be on a long list of people and nothing would happen but I wouldn't risk it. North Korea has been known to go to other countries, notably Japan, and kidnap innocent people.

There are plenty of other countries to visit. Ever visit Benin, Lesotho, Bolivia, Tonga, Oman, etc.?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:29 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to the Travel->Asia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:45 pm

I traveled to North Korea last year, through Koryo Tours in Beijing, and everything went smoothly. The trip was expensive (North Korea needs convertible currency, after all). In North Korea everyone was pleasant and professional, the hotels were acceptable, and the food was fine. I went on an individual tour, and of course I was shown only what the regime wanted me to see - everything was orderly, and there was no evident poverty or hunger. The guides spoke pretty good English and German (I had two to myself, plus a driver) and were open to talking about almost anything. They followed the regime's line but showed an interest in what was going on in the rest of the world (the German speaker had even worked several years in the North Korean trade mission in West Germany). The grandiose, bombastic aspects of North Korea were all there - the mass games, the Kim Il Sung mausoleum and the museum filled with incredibly kitschy gifts from foreign dignitaries. All expectations were met, and I very much welcomed the opportunity to see at least the propagandized version of North Korea - although I was also aware that with my participation in the tour I was financially supporting the regime. By all means go, keep open your critical eye and engage the guides in discussions.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by TWA A380
I would be concerned that if you go to North Korea, you will forever be tracked by the North Koreans. If some North Korean bigwig psycho wants to do something bad to you, they could. It's possible that you could be on a long list of people and nothing would happen but I wouldn't risk it. North Korea has been known to go to other countries, notably Japan, and kidnap innocent people.
But realistically, generally only those who are very high up in the regime even have Internet access, let alone the capability to hunt you down and have you killed/kidnapped. The problems with North Korea and Japan could not happen to any other country, due to the special situation between the two countries. There is a significant community of Zainichi Koreans in Japan, many of whom claim allegiance to North Korea through Chongryon (General Association of Korean Residents in Japan). Through Chongryon North Korea has a huge network of spies and loyalists throughout Japan, some of which are involved in less than noble activities.

To be honest, in my opinion the most genuine North Korean/Hamgyong culture you can find is in Yanbian in China. Actually, I would even argue that it is more authentic than the Korean culture in South Korea as well because it hasn't been corrupted as much by materialism and American influence. If you're interested in North Korean culture (more specifically the traditional culture of the northern provinces of the peninsula) it may be a better idea to visit a part of China that may receive fewer Western visitors than North Korea. You can also get a good look over the border at Tumen, which itself is probably the most Korean city in China. If you're more interested in the North Korean state itself and seeing the country from the inside, obviously you have to actually go to North Korea.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Santander
But realistically, generally only those who are very high up in the regime even have Internet access, let alone the capability to hunt you down and have you killed/kidnapped. The problems with North Korea and Japan could not happen to any other country, due to the special situation between the two countries. There is a significant community of Zainichi Koreans in Japan, many of whom claim allegiance to North Korea through Chongryon (General Association of Korean Residents in Japan). Through Chongryon North Korea has a huge network of spies and loyalists throughout Japan, some of which are involved in less than noble activities.

To be honest, in my opinion the most genuine North Korean/Hamgyong culture you can find is in Yanbian in China. Actually, I would even argue that it is more authentic than the Korean culture in South Korea as well because it hasn't been corrupted as much by materialism and American influence. If you're interested in North Korean culture (more specifically the traditional culture of the northern provinces of the peninsula) it may be a better idea to visit a part of China that may receive fewer Western visitors than North Korea. You can also get a good look over the border at Tumen, which itself is probably the most Korean city in China. If you're more interested in the North Korean state itself and seeing the country from the inside, obviously you have to actually go to North Korea.
+1

If I might add. If you ever choose Yanbian as your destination, try to squeeze in tour to Baekdusan mountain, which is located inside North Korea.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta - Plat
Went with Young Pioneers (http://dprk.youngpioneertours.com/) last month. No issues.

Two things, if you go make sure to have a western guide who can fight for the things you want to do if things come up as well as whisper to you side details. worth the extra money I think. Also, if you think there's a chance of going by a statue of the Great Leader make sure to buy some flowers, fake is fine, from the gift shop or ask to buy some to lay there. We were denied close access because we didnt have any. PM me if you have any questions, I literally did the RoK DMZ 8 hours ago as well.

Already thinking pondering going back. If you have the time and ~1.5k do it. Plus flying the crazy old IL 62 vs the new Tu204 is quite fun. And you won't have to worry about deicing in the summer! If you're not American take the train one way, i was told by guides and passengers it gets a bit slow/old the second time.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:34 am

The tour was only $1.5k? I might have to jump on this.

Where did you fly into NK from?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
T
Where did you fly into NK from?
As a western tourist, pretty much your only option by air is via Beijing.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta - Plat
Flew out of PEK. They're are also flights out of a Chinese city closer to the boarder that can be a little cheaper, can't recall the name. Air China, or Southern also fly the days that the national carrier does not. 1.5k is PEK-DPRK I was already in China. Spending money and tips was like $100-300 maybe. Depends on how much you tip and what kind of "gifts" you bring them. Also what kind of stuff you bring back. Avg book/poster was ~$20

Clarifying: Only Americans are required to fly in. Everyone else has the option of train or flight. Other note, no GPS cameras, so keep in mind when packing if you've got the label on the body.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by obiwan9
Flew out of PEK. They're are also flights out of a Chinese city closer to the boarder that can be a little cheaper, can't recall the name.
JS flies to FNJ from SHE and DLC, both closer than PEK. But as a Western tourist you're pretty much going to be flying in from PEK. (If you've been to SHE or DLC you wouldn't even want to fly out of there)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by eastnortheast
As a western tourist, pretty much your only option by air is via Beijing.
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind when I plan my trip to Best Korea.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:54 am

N Korea embassies?

To get there, you will definitely need a visa. Does anyone have info on N Korean embassies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.