Reload this Page >

North Korea Travel, Experiences and Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

North Korea Travel, Experiences and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I can only add to the Chorus of props for Koryo Tours. I went in October 2005; it was said to be the largest group of Americans in DPRK since the Korean War (~100 of us).
Old Nov 4, 2012, 1:01 pm

I am planning a trip to North Korea. Which company is the best of the best? Koryo Tours or Young Pioneers?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
All the tour groups seem to include transport into and out of NK. Do any of them price packages without flights? I'm thinking of redeeming 20K AC for a PEK-FNJ flight on CA. If so how much lower would the cost be?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
All the tour groups seem to include transport into and out of NK. Do any of them price packages without flights? I'm thinking of redeeming 20K AC for a PEK-FNJ flight on CA. If so how much lower would the cost be?
Ask your tour operator. They can definitely deduct the cost of the plane ticket. Prices are typically high, especially on Air China, since this is a niche market. A ticket is around 600 euros but prices vary throughput the year.

The real issue is whether you can actually redeem miles on this route. Travel to FNJ isn't mainstream and tickets to/from FNJ are typically processed manually and often paid cash.

Not so long ago, they were paper tickets although as of now even Air Koryo has e-tickets. CA is extremely unlikely to issue a ticket unless they can verify that you have a visa, and you won't be able to provide any proof because you won't get the visa until the day of departure, unless you apply yourself at one of the few DPRK embassies.

I know UA doesn't support redemptions to FNJ. If AC does, then triple check that your ticket is valid, and be sure to provide all the details to your tour operator so that they can double check on their end and also let KITC (the main DPRK travel agency) know of the details.

This is not a policy issue - it's not like Air Canada cares whether you want to travel to Pyongyang - but more of a basic red tape issue with regards to how those specific tickets are handled.

It would be great if you could follow-up and let us know how things turned out for you.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Pat+
Ask your tour operator. They can definitely deduct the cost of the plane ticket. Prices are typically high, especially on Air China, since this is a niche market. A ticket is around 600 euros but prices vary throughput the year.

The real issue is whether you can actually redeem miles on this route. Travel to FNJ isn't mainstream and tickets to/from FNJ are typically processed manually and often paid cash.

Not so long ago, they were paper tickets although as of now even Air Koryo has e-tickets. CA is extremely unlikely to issue a ticket unless they can verify that you have a visa, and you won't be able to provide any proof because you won't get the visa until the day of departure, unless you apply yourself at one of the few DPRK embassies.

I know UA doesn't support redemptions to FNJ. If AC does, then triple check that your ticket is valid, and be sure to provide all the details to your tour operator so that they can double check on their end and also let KITC (the main DPRK travel agency) know of the details.

This is not a policy issue - it's not like Air Canada cares whether you want to travel to Pyongyang - but more of a basic red tape issue with regards to how those specific tickets are handled.

It would be great if you could follow-up and let us know how things turned out for you.

Thanks. I checked aeroplan.com and it priced it out at 20K and $30 in taxes.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Thanks. I checked aeroplan.com and it priced it out at 20K and $30 in taxes.
Right, but that doesn't mean that it will ticket or be usable. Let us know how things work out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.