Korean War places to see

Subscribe
I am going to Korea in honor of my late husband who served in the army in the Korean War. I will plan a trip to the DMZ. Are there other places I should see? I will arrive on October 25th and leave on October 29th.

Appreciate your help!
Can't comment on specific places... but there is a Korean War veterans group that seems to organise visits/tours for veterans and families of..

www.kwva.org

With 2012 (and 2011 etc) being the "60th Anniversary" there might be more on than usual..???

Good luck.. I think your idea is quite inspiring....
On the North or South side?
We are grateful for your husband's service in Korea.
Quote: On the North or South side?
We are grateful for your husband's service in Korea.
He was with the American forces. Was a prisoner of war for 91 days in North Korea, and buried alive for 3 days when a bunker collapsed. He was a member of the KWVA in our local area so I will also ask them for advice. None of them has been back to visit though many would like to.

Even though he suffered so much while in Korea, he always spoke highly of the people that he met. He has received several medals from South Korean officials over the past few years and been thanked numerous times. He was moved by the appreciation he received.

We hoped to go together to South Korea, but he had a hemorrhage last March and passed away in June. So I will go for him. I will be there the last week of October.
Having worked in Incheon, ISTR there is a memorial site there marking the landing, as well as statues of MacArthur etc. You can get to Incheon city by subway from Seoul. It's not the most exciting place apart from that (the airport is on an island off-shore).

My impression was from being there that the nations which assisted Korea during the Korean war are still viewed with much gratitude by the Korean people. I was there during a memorial, and newspaper reports listed out all countries (and there were way more than I knew) who sent troops to assist Korea during the war.
Quote: I am going to Korea in honor of my late husband who served in the army in the Korean War. I will plan a trip to the DMZ. Are there other places I should see? I will arrive on October 25th and leave on October 29th.

Appreciate your help!
I recommend checking out the War Memorial of Korea which is located in Seoul. I've been there twice already (went last week actually) and it does a good job telling all the details about the Korean War as well as the other wars Korea has been in. There are nice statues outside of the museum as well. Admission is free too. Here's the site:

http://www.warmemo.or.kr/eng/guide/guide.jsp
My mom's brother was killed right by the DMZ at the start of the war, and I'm headed over there this week. I plan to visit the DMZ as well as any other war sites I can find. If anything specifically stands out to me, I'll follow up with you when I return.

Thanks to your husband for his service!
Quote: I recommend checking out the War Memorial of Korea which is located in Seoul. I've been there twice already (went last week actually) and it does a good job telling all the details about the Korean War as well as the other wars Korea has been in. There are nice statues outside of the museum as well. Admission is free too. Here's the site:

http://www.warmemo.or.kr/eng/guide/guide.jsp
I was here last year. It is a pretty good museum to visit. It has a pretty good historical war history of korea in general along with the korean war
Definitely the DMZ..was a very enjoyable Tour I did last year through the USO - definitely the best one you can do.
DMZ and the Korean War museum(memorial) in Seoul.

The Korean war museum is very good and huge!
Be prepared to spend a few hours in there.
Quote: Can't comment on specific places... but there is a Korean War veterans group that seems to organise visits/tours for veterans and families of..

www.kwva.org

With 2012 (and 2011 etc) being the "60th Anniversary" there might be more on than usual..???

Good luck.. I think your idea is quite inspiring....
My husband was a member of the KWVA. I will check with the local chapter here for advice. Thanks for all the suggestions!