Reload this Page >

Overnight layover ICN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight layover ICN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:13 pm

I am interested in any suggestions for an overnight layover. Parents and two teens. Arrive 7:00 pm (from SYD) and leave 11:00 am (to US). We can sleep on the planes (though we will get a hotel room). We would be up for seeing the city at night, to as late as 2 am or so, or very early, say 5 am. Any suggestions for self-tour or perhaps a guide who would accompany us on those odd hours? Any chance of visiting DMZ early enough to get back for the 11 am flight?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: Many
I did the DMZ tour once and it was a whole day tour, so you might as well forget about it. On a side note, I didn't think it was all that great.

Depending on where your hotel is, you may be able to do a lot on foot. Otherwise, taxis are plenty and rather cheap ("cheap" depending where you are from, obviously). The subway in Seoul is also cheap and it's clean, but I think it closes around midnight; it depends on the station, so you'd have to check to be sure. There are night markets in Seoul, so you could easily see and do things until 2 am. Seoul is quite safe. If you like spicy food you'll enjoy Korean food. Street food is safe, cheap, and delicious ... maybe not all, but most.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by bubble o bill
I am interested in any suggestions for an overnight layover. Parents and two teens. Arrive 7:00 pm (from SYD) and leave 11:00 am (to US). We can sleep on the planes (though we will get a hotel room). We would be up for seeing the city at night, to as late as 2 am or so, or very early, say 5 am. Any suggestions for self-tour or perhaps a guide who would accompany us on those odd hours? Any chance of visiting DMZ early enough to get back for the 11 am flight?
I don't think the DMZ is possible during your layover. Just not enough time.

As for suggestions, what hotel will you be staying at?

I wrote this on a different post. It might be an option. If you are coming soon, you should know that it can get fairly cold at night. Other options might be to research some of the 24 hr shopping areas. They also usually have restaurants nearby that are also open 24 hours.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have a layover coming up on Sunday night. Arrive 5:30pm, then depart at 9am (both in OZ F) -- Worth going into Seoul on a Sunday night? Thinking of the Hyatt, but can do other hotels if they're better for going into the city.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:43 pm

I would say if you have never been to Seoul, then come on in just to get a glimpse of the city. Culturally I think most palaces and such will be closed by the time you arrive in the city. But there is always Myeongdong 24 hour shopping and other areas of interest.

If you are coming from LA, then with the time change, waking up early the next day to catch your flight should not be a problem. Just be aware that mornings at ICN airport can be a zoo with lots of people arriving and going through security to their flights.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
After reading this thread I'm having second thoughts. Im arriving from sydney at 7pm and departing the next day at 1pm. I'm travelling once again with the small children 6 and 4 . I have already booked the hyatt and used a suite upgrade about $200 per night.

Im now thinking once I land to catch the limo bus into the city maybe book one if the intercontinental 's on points and have alook around . Any suggestions ?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:12 am

Logistically I think the only difference between going to the Hyatt Regency and heading into town would be the length of time on the bus (assuming you take either a limo bus or a shuttle bus to your hotel). But coming from Sydney I will assume your body clock is 2 hours ahead of Korea time. So let's say you make it to your hotel by 9pm local. It will feel like 11pm? But the beauty of this will be in the next morning where I assume you might get an early start in the morning.

There might not be enough time to go visit a palace or somewhere cultural the next day, but just being with the kids and enjoying breakfast together in a foreign country might be fun. Maybe take a selfie picture then? I don't recall who said or wrote this but sometimes it is not the destination but the journey that makes it memorable.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:15 am

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well , but I also didnt want to miss out on something special I could have done in a few hours. I'm not sure if its really safe with the kids in korea as well , so I might just stay around the airport and the Hyatt. Take some photos around the area and just relax for. Change .
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
If you're flying the same airline on the same ticket, your airline might even put you up in a hotel for the night. I know Korean Air does. I'm sure Asiana does the same.

The limo bus is a guaranteed hour each way, sometimes more, depending on where you are going and traffic.

What you should do is take the AREX to Hongik University (Hongdae). There's DEFINITELY nightlife there. Shopping, cafes, restaurants, clubs, bars, artists, music and people at the playground, you name it.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:39 am

I think OZ does offer a overnight hotel but not in award tickets so im out of luck there.

When you mention playground do you mean slippery dips and swings or referring to something more extreme? What's the costs of taking the AREX return and does it leave from anywhere near the Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.