Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 2, 11, 1:13 am   #1

trip to South Korea - opinions?

Hi

I am planning a trip to South Korea for about 3-4 full days, thinking about hiring a personal tour guide when i get to Seoul but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on what to do there or the must see things for a 1st timer? Has anyone taken a trip to the DMZ?
jasonz9238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 11, 9:56 am   #2

Not sure a personal guide is needed, but that all depends upon your comfort level in foreign countries.

DMZ tour - definitely take it. Take the one offered by the USO as it takes you into the truce village, and if there is not anything going on that day, you are allowed in the building where the two sides meet (line running down the center of the room, etc.). There are other tours that go to tunnels dug by the DPRK - also interesting, but if you are going to do just one, do the USO tour.
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 11, 10:33 pm   #3

Programs: TG & CX Silver
I live in Seoul and do recommend a trip to the DMZ. Although beware it closes on Mondays. I think a 1/2 day tour is enough time as its only an hour away.

If you want global food mix (Itaewan area)
............... nightlife (Hongdae University) - its an incredible sight on fri/sat.
............... cool chopping (Gangnam / Apoujeong) - south of river
............... history (cityhall and the palace) the gardens of palaces are cool

My personal favourite though is Olympic Park in Jamsil area. It contain all the venues from the 88 Olympics, expect the stadium which is a 20min walk away.

Enjoy your trip.
Lounge Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 11, 7:02 am   #4

KE's ROR w/stopover in ICN

There are a handful of us who apparently are interested in the optional $100 stopover in ICN.

I will be travelling to Korea Dec 23 - Jan 12, i.e., Xmas / New Year's Eve holidays.

Is 3 weeks too long for Korea?

If so, are there cheap ferry/air options to visit nearby countries? Preferably, ones which don't require a $$$ visa. So probably no to China, but possibly yes to HK / Macau, if cheap travel exists.

Who are the reliable low cost air carriers? Only out of ICN? How far in advance is optimal for purchasing tickets (4-6 weeks? immediately, due to holidays?).

Interested in DMZ, Busan, Jeju, and ???

Thanks in advance!
phd2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 11, 12:16 pm   #5

I think 3 weeks is far too long to spend in Korea over xmas, unless you have family or friends here.

The weather will be cold, which takes out the option of Jeju or beaches etc. Busan is a nice place, but again in winter I dont know how nice.

Seoul will be cool place to be any time of year, but only for a few days (2/4max)

Air travel is not cheap out of here, especially on Asiana and Korean. There are some good deals to Taiwan as there is much competition on the route. Another option would be to use Cebu Pacific for a mid-priced flight to the Philippines? You might get good deal to HK also.
Old Sep 7, 11, 10:38 am   #6

Programs: DL DM
Consider Jeju Island, sometimes r/t airfare can be had for $100
skchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 11, 4:40 pm   #7

Programs: DL DM/2M, *A Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonz9238 View Post
Hi

I am planning a trip to South Korea for about 3-4 full days, thinking about hiring a personal tour guide when i get to Seoul but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on what to do there or the must see things for a 1st timer? Has anyone taken a trip to the DMZ?
Hi Jason,

We spent 5 days in Seoul last Fall on our way to Thailand - there is plenty to see and do. For most of it you will not need a guide. Navigating the city by public transportation is easy, and all of the major sights have good English signage - many have the option of an audio tour as well.

The one exception we made was a private guide for a night dining tour - a fantastic opportunity to go out at night and eat where the locals eat.

Here's a link to our brief photo-journal from this trip that will give you some good ideas - and there are many links that will take you to where you can gather more info:

http://necessaryindulgences.com/2010...rea-has-seoul/

Hope you have a great trip!

John
NecessaryIndulgences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 11, 12:57 am   #8

As we continue planning, we noticed that some Asian countries will take/ask for your passports and even photocopy them.

Anyone know any regulations or have experience in regards to this in Korea?
Old Sep 9, 11, 1:09 am   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonz9238 View Post
As we continue planning, we noticed that some Asian countries will take/ask for your passports and even photocopy them.

Anyone know any regulations or have experience in regards to this in Korea?
Do you mean upon entering the country at immigration? I dont recollect them ever doing it here, but I could be wrong!
Old Sep 9, 11, 1:23 am   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Expert View Post
Do you mean upon entering the country at immigration? I dont recollect them ever doing it here, but I could be wrong!
Oops, I meant upon checking into a hotel.
Old Sep 9, 11, 7:04 am   #11

I have always been asked for my passport when checking into a Korean hotel, but they have never made a photo copy. They look at it, and hand it back.
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 11, 8:00 am   #12

Programs: DL DM
If are from an unfriendly country or you look like absolute criminal, they might.
skchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 11, 11:28 am   #13

Programs: Asiana, EVA, Alaska, jetBlue
Since language can be a problem in SK, I do suggest a guide for short stays. I used the free Goodwill Guide Service and was very pleased - a Korean grandfather volunteered for me (he was a former English teacher, and could not have been better had he been a pro guide).
Daawgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 11, 4:45 pm   #14
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daawgon View Post
Since language can be a problem in SK, I do suggest a guide for short stays. I used the free Goodwill Guide Service and was very pleased - a Korean grandfather volunteered for me (he was a former English teacher, and could not have been better had he been a pro guide).
This needs a minimum 10 days advance notice booking.
UK Flyer 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 11, 4:46 pm   #15
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
Seoul

One day in Seoul.
What might be possible?
UK Flyer 1 is offline   Reply With Quote