Help on transfering from ICN to GMP

Subscribe
Hi guys,

So I am supposed to fly from LAX to ICN, change airports to GMP, then to PEK. I have 4 hours and 20 minutes to complete the airport change. Will I make it in time? I have an USA passport, and from what I heard, there will be no difficulty passing the customs, correct? Do I have to reclaim my luggage or will they transfer my luggage to GMP? I read that taking the train to GMP will probably be the best choice, so do I need Korean money to do that? All I got is US dollars.

Please help, thanks to you all!
There is a bus that runs regularly (think every 10 minutes) between ICN and GMP. You will need to claim your bags and bring them with you on the bus, they will load them in the belly. The cost is about KRW6,000 or about $5 US. You will need some Korean Money, you pay the driver. The bus is outside on the curb from the exit from Baggage claim. Very nice ride, freeway almost the whole way. Grab a free cart at baggage claim, go through the exit and out to the street. You will see many bus stops, just ask for the bus to Gimpo, and they will direct you. DO NOT take a cab, especially the guys who will approach you in the terminal. They are a rip off.
4:20 should be plenty of time for your connection. You'll have to clear immigration and customs at ICN, but it's usually very efficient. As a USA citizen you are permitted to enter for, I think, 30 days without a visa.

I agree with planemechanic's suggestion to use the bus. It is inexpensive, runs frequently, and takes about 30 minutes between GMP and ICN. There are actually many bus lines that connect the two airports. Take a look at http://www.airport.kr/airport/traffi...ist.iia?flag=E to see. Buses depart from just outside the arrivals hall.

The train seems like a decent alternative. I haven't used it yet since the train links were only completed recently. I've taken the bus many times.
Double
Quote:
The train seems like a decent alternative. I haven't used it yet since the train links were only completed recently. I've taken the bus many times.
The section from ICN-GMP has actually been running for a couple of years now, recently they just finished the rest of the line from GMP-Seoul Station

The train is about half the cost 3,300W (3$) to Gimpo Airport and takes 33 minutes, just make sure you don't get on an express train to Seoul Station.

The bus has a more comfortable seat, but I always take the train
Thanks a lot for your answers, that was very reassuring since I have never done an airport change during my flight before.
Quote: Thanks a lot for your answers, that was very reassuring since I have never done an airport change during my flight before.
You could always ask to be changed to a ICN-PEK flight at check-in, or even at ICN, there are certainly enough of them per day that they aren't full

I find the Chinese carriers more flexible in this regards, so if you are flying one of them you can ask them at ICN before going out to GMP

If you are flying OZ or KE, don't expect it at all unless you misconnect.
Did the GMP-ICN shuffle a few weeks ago inbound from PEK.... We used the train and it was no stress at all....
Quote: You could always ask to be changed to a ICN-PEK flight at check-in, or even at ICN, there are certainly enough of them per day that they aren't full

I find the Chinese carriers more flexible in this regards, so if you are flying one of them you can ask them at ICN before going out to GMP

If you are flying OZ or KE, don't expect it at all unless you misconnect.
Korean Airlines, actually. Thanks I'll give it a shot at LAX and ICN as well. I bought my tickets by phone via cheapoair.com. Those evil people just told me I need to transfer at Seoul but never actually mentioned changing airports. I wouldn't have bought the ticket if I knew it would be such a hassle. Sighs. Luckily I have you guys to help!!
A friend of mine is considering an itinerary that requires ICN-GMP transfer, so excuse me for resurrecting this thread.

The routing is CTU-ICN (12:20am-4:50am) and connecting to GMP-HND (8pm-9:45pm), both on OZ. She would like to use the long layover to have a one-day tour in Seoul. From discussions above, my friend needs to collect baggage at ICN and arrange transportation to GMP. We do have some concerns about the transfer: Will she be able to check in both flights at CTU, meaning getting BPs for both flights(we know baggage won't check thru)? If she has to check in at GMP to get BP and drop baggage, can she do that in the early morning for an evening flight?

Thanks in advance.
Quote: A friend of mine is considering an itinerary that requires ICN-GMP transfer, so excuse me for resurrecting this thread.

The routing is CTU-ICN (12:20am-4:50am) and connecting to GMP-HND (8pm-9:45pm), both on OZ. She would like to use the long layover to have a one-day tour in Seoul. From discussions above, my friend needs to collect baggage at ICN and arrange transportation to GMP. We do have some concerns about the transfer: Will she be able to check in both flights at CTU, meaning getting BPs for both flights(we know baggage won't check thru)? If she has to check in at GMP to get BP and drop baggage, can she do that in the early morning for an evening flight?

Thanks in advance.
It all depends on the airline. If they only have some flights in the afternoon they will not be open in the morning. Call the airline and ask these same questions.
Quote: A friend of mine is considering an itinerary that requires ICN-GMP transfer, so excuse me for resurrecting this thread.

Thanks in advance.
Why do you think that you won't be able to check the baggage through? I regularly fly LHR - ICN - TSN, which requires an overnight layover in Seoul (of around 18 hours). I always check my luggage through to TSN and have never had to collect it in Seoul.

I have also flown PEK - GMP/ICN - LHR, and my luggage was checked through all the way then, so it can't be anything to do with the different airport.

As for transport between the two airports, as others have posted there is the train of the bus. Both are fine, but avoid the train if you have a lot of carry on luggage. There are numerous buses outside that will go to Gimpo, just go to the ticket counter (there are two of them just outside the terminal) and ask them which bus stop number.
Rather than create a new thread I thought I would post my experience of this transfer.

My journey was GLA-AMS-ICN / GMP-USN with KL (GMP-USN on KE metal).

At check-in at GLA I was told that there was no way I could check my bag all the way through to USN, I was going to have to collect my bag, make the transfer and check in again at GMP. According to my schedule I had 2hrs 40mins between arrival in ICN and departure in GMP. After reading the various posts on this transfer I was confident I would make it.

The AMS-ICN flight took off 2 hours later than scheduled and arrived 1hr40mins late. I didn't have enough time to make my connection. On stepping off the plane I asked the first person in a KE uniform what I needed to do. She told me to go to the transfer desk. At the transfer desk I was told that since the GMP-USN flight had been booked with KLM there was nothing they could do and I had to contact my travel agent. I called someone who was familar with this situation and he told me that this was rubbish and to go to GMP and sort it out there.

I used the buses at the front of the airport. The desks where you buy a ticket are outside the terminal next to the bus stops. I paid the english speaking desk clerk with VISA (no cash necessary) and was given a choice of 3 different buses, leaving from a row of stops just 10 metres from the desk I bought the ticket. My total transfer time from my flight touching down in ICN to standing in a check-in queue at GMP was just under 2 hours.

At GMP I went to the check-in desk and was booked on the next available flight to USN no problem. The girl at check-in even apologised for me missing the earlier flight!

From my experience I would say that if you're arriving at ICN followed by an internal flight with KE from GMP then don't sweat it about the transfer.
Please continue this discussion in the FT Korea Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Sorry for resurrecting an old(ish) thread... but it seemed the best idea!

I am looking at flying in to ICN on TG (6:55am arrival) and am going on to PEK. The earlier flights (with award availability) that would get me to my preferred ex-PEK flight are all from GMP....

I'd LIKE to book the 9:25 GMP-PEK.. but I can't find any info on the ICN-GMP Int to Int MCT.... this will all be on one PNR.

All previous threads here on FT have concerned Int-domestic....

Is 2:30 legal? If so, is it achievable?

Thanks in advance for ANY assistance....^