Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

korea pre-paid sim

korea pre-paid sim

Old May 18, 2007, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

korea pre-paid sim

Hello. I need to go to a meeting in Seoul next Friday (5/25) and would like to use my phone when I'm there. In addition to my Sprint phone, I have a Starhub (Singapore) roaming card that I can use in my N80..., but both of these options are expensive. So I would prefer to pick up a local prepaid SIM if possible. Advice appreciated. Also, I'm thinking about staying for the weekend so, Korea FTers, feel free to drop me a line.
Old May 23, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Korea is strictly CDMA country, so you will not be able to buy pre-paid SIM (which is GSM).
Old May 23, 2007, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkjay77
Korea is strictly CDMA country, so you will not be able to buy pre-paid SIM (which is GSM).
Thanks. I figured out (after I posted) that prepaid isn't cool there. However, I also learned that SK Telcom has an equivalent system. Due to air fare issues, I decided to come back to BJ before my biz trip and plan on setting up roaming on my China number, which is far cheaper than my current Singapore option.
Old May 26, 2007, 7:56 pm

I think your N80 should work with UTMS network, and you're right, using starhub or china mobile will be expensive.

When you land, walk over to SK Telcom counter and rent a cdma phone...i forgot the exact site but somewhere on sk telcom site there should be information re rates, etc. I think will be cheaper if extensive phone use.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:38 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I'll be heading to Korea for the first time. Do people tend to rent phones like they do in Japan? I have a 3G Blackberry Bold. Should I expect it to work?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.