NEW: KLM Economy Comfort!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
KL692 March 13: 35/36 EC seats still available
KL1985 March 14: 7/8 EC seats still available

KL1986 March 23: 8/8 EC seats still available
KL0691 March 23: 29/36 EC seats still available

So as of this moment there are still plenty of EC seats available. Since the long haul segments are operated by a B747 you can choose between rows of 2 or 3 seats - very convenient if you are traveling with one or two other people.

Of course these seats will slowly be taken, and probably the good ones will be gone before check-in...but at this moment there is still plenty available.
Originally Posted by Xandrios
You can book on Expedia, and use the booking reference to log in on klm.com and upgrade to EC. The armrests do lift up in both EC and normal eco, with exception of the ones on the isle.
Thank you so much for all the feedback!

You've been a lifesaver.

Booked our tickets, 3 for CAD $3100 (including taxes, etc.), felt like I scored a deal!

Now doing the upgrades.

Final question for the YYZ-AMS legs (KL0692 and KL0691), they seem to be both on the Boeing 747-400's. Thinking of EC row 10 due to avoiding any lavatory lines directly in front of our seats - or would 11 or 12 make more sense? Or does it really not matter?

Last edited by mlv416; Jan 8, 2016 at 8:10 pm Reason: multi-quote didn't work right the first time
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlv416
Thinking of EC row 10 due to avoiding any lavatory lines directly in front of our seats
The two front lavatories are for J class only, EC pax use the single lavatory directly behind 17DE.

EC pax have been known to (ab)use the front lavs, though. Smart FAs prevent that by blocking access with a trolley.

Johan
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by mlv416
Thank you so much for all the feedback!
Final question for the YYZ-AMS legs (KL0692 and KL0691), they seem to be both on the Boeing 747-400's. Thinking of EC row 10 due to avoiding any lavatory lines directly in front of our seats - or would 11 or 12 make more sense? Or does it really not matter?
If on the 744, those lavs are only for C-pax and they're curtained off. As such I wouldn't worry about any lines.

I should note that that flight is normally operated by an A330. I did KL691 in C last October and it switched between equipments four times, ending up on a 74M. My point here is I wouldn't be so sure of it being a 747 :P
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR
If on the 744, those lavs are only for C-pax and they're curtained off. As such I wouldn't worry about any lines.
Yeah, didn't want to take the chance of too much extra noise because of my toddler, so booked row 12 I think.

Our first family flight so I am a bit nervous - hoping he's a good flyer. I would avoid flying altogether, but my husband's family has not met our son yet (except for his grandparents) and he's almost 2 and they all mostly live in France.

Originally Posted by CyBeR
I should note that that flight is normally operated by an A330. I did KL691 in C last October and it switched between equipments four times, ending up on a 74M. My point here is I wouldn't be so sure of it being a 747 :P
That is interesting and annoying - do you (or anyone else) know what happens when you upgrade and then they change the plane? As the seat layout is different on the A330's than the 747's

I have booked us 3 across in the current configuration, which makes sense, but in the other configuration (which seems to be 2-4-2) I wouldn't do that.

To be honest, I don't really care what airplane it is, although I am sure that one is 'nicer' than the other. Would just like a bit of control over how we are seated. Hmmmm.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Is it still KLM's official policy that taking EC seats after the aircraft doors are closed is only allowed when you pay for the seat 'upgrade'?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
The last flight that I was on I had the whole of EC to myself, one woman decided to move forwards and was told that she had to pay extra for the seat. On other flights the crew have let people move without a word.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: JP SEN; LATAM Black Signature; Accor Plat
Am flying with KL on AMS-GIG route in some weeks and have a elite plus status (not AF or KL, a foreign carrier). I was hoping to get a EC seat for free, but as far as I read the thread: obviously I can forget it!

So, should I actually enter my elite plus number into my booking in the first place or should I pretend as I would be someone "flying once a year" and ask kindly at the gate if the agents "would have the kindness to give me the EC seat just like that"?

Was never on longhaul with KL and it makes me worried to be honest.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by LH_001
So, should I actually enter my elite plus number into my booking in the first place or should I pretend as I would be someone "flying once a year" and ask kindly at the gate if the agents "would have the kindness to give me the EC seat just like that"?
If you are Skyteam Elite Plus, then why not enter your number? You would deprived of the perks of Elite plus status and there are quite a few.

Was never on longhaul with KL and it makes me worried to be honest.
Why? The Dutch are civilised people!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
If you are Skyteam Elite Plus, then why not enter your number? You would deprived of the perks of Elite plus status and there are quite a few.

Why? The Dutch are civilised people!

Oh u didn´t get it? Oh, my...

Well it seems that KLM does anything possible to punish all the elite plus members who bought a "crappy eco" ticket and didn´t pay for their empty biz seats. That is what their own elites say here.

"The dutch r civilised ppl!"??? Don´t get your point. What does the dutch education have to do with the seating policy of KLM??
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Oh u didn´t get it? Oh, my...

Well it seems that KLM does anything possible to punish all the elite plus members who bought a "crappy eco" ticket and didn´t pay for their empty biz seats. That is what their own elites say here.
Without your elite plus number in the booking you will have neither biz class counter check in, nor extra luggage, nor Skypriority lanes, nor priority in case of overbooking, nor lounge access.

So yes indeed, I don't get it when you say you want to check in icognito.

What is there they can do to punish you? Strip naked you and plunge you in a barrel of oil and sprinkle feathers over your body?

"The dutch r civilised ppl!"??? Don´t get your point. What does the dutch education have to do with the seating policy of KLM??
That was humour.

Your saying that flying KL makes you worried is funny. Which kind of mistreatment do you fear?

As FB Platinum, I always get smiles and help when I request it. No reason they will treat you in any manner you have to be fearful of if they know you are Elite Plus from another Syteam FFP.

Last edited by carnarvon; Mar 14, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:43 pm

What is there they can do to punish you? Strip naked you and plunge you in a barrel of oil and sprinkle feathers over your body?
I believe they've changed it so that only plat for life get this now, and you have to call the special number to book it in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:36 pm

Without your elite plus number in the booking you will have neither biz class counter check in, nor extra luggage, nor Skypriority lanes, nor priority in case of overbooking, nor lounge access.

So yes indeed, I don't get it when you say you want to check in icognito.

That was humour.

Your saying that flying KL makes you worried is funny. Which kind of mistreatment do you fear?

As FB Platinum, I always get smiles and help when I request it. No reason they will treat you in any manner you have to be fearful of if they know you are Elite Plus from another Syteam FFP.

Well, all the perks that u have counted, r so called perks, but to be honest nothing really worth. The only thing that matters r the extra legroom seats and extra luggage. I´ll have no extra luggage to give away and since they´ll put me probably into a middle seat on AMS-GRU as a elite plus, why should I let them know I am elite plus?

Biz class CI= no need, have plenty of time
lunge access= crown lounge is not really a perk, it´s rather a place u wanna leave as soon as possible

I have no experience on KLM longhaul whatsoever, but as far as I could read in this thread: YES, KL does put u into a middle seat as an elite plus as a punishment for not have booked their additional services (such as EC seats) and they obviosuly put ppl without a status into EC! Or r all the elites who r saying this in this thread lying? I don´t think so

At the end I need to say that I have the impression that "ppl who fly once a year" r treated waaaaaaaaaaay better than elites on KL as far as the seating is concerned. The conclusion would be rather not to let them know that someone is elite plus, if he wants the EC seats for free.

See.

Last edited by LH_001; Mar 15, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I have no experience on KLM longhaul whatsoever, but as far as I could read in this thread: YES, KL does put u into a middle seat as an elite plus as a punishment for not have booked their additional services (such as EC seats) and they obviosuly put ppl without a status into EC! Or r all the elites who r saying this in this thread lying? I don´t think so

At the end I need to say that I have the impression that "ppl who fly once a year" r treated waaaaaaaaaaay better than elites on KL as far as the seating is concerned. The conclusion would be rather not to let them know that someone is elite plus, if he wants the EC seats for free.

See.
^ Well said - on most of my intra EU flights with KL - and because I normally travel with a non-status companion, I tend to give up my eligibility for the free EC seats. Even at check-in @ business counters when you know that there are free EC seats available and you try and get those - you are still requested to pay for it. Upon boarding - suprise suprise you see all seats taken up by connecting passengers (and most probably without status).

This has happened so often and after writing to complain a few times I have given up.

Just some of the small but significant things that KL can do to show more love to ST E+ incld their own FB Elite members.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:20 pm

As far as I can see they only fill the EC seats when the normal seats are filled. I often have an empty seat next to me. I think four times last year my seat was changed and I was moved forward of the curtain on boarding.
I'.m not sure why you would fly without using your status, though priority boarding might help with finding a place for your carry on
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:23 pm

As far as I can see they only fill the EC seats when the normal seats are filled. I often have an empty seat next to me. I think four times last year my seat was changed and I was moved forward of the curtain on boarding.
I'.m not sure why you would fly without using your status, though priority boarding might help with finding a place for your carry on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.