Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam to Bangkok KLM 747-Combi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmaslik
Well, I am sorry to say this, but I think, that all KLM 747 have only shared TV. There is a small chance for you, because they are upgrading their planes at the time, so you might be lucky.

Sjoerd just said that his/her 747 had a PTV's.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: ROP, Royal Skies, BAEC (Blue)
Originally Posted by JMSIM
Sjoerd just said that his/her 747 had a PTV's.
Absolutely, PH-BFN (KLM 747 full passenger, not a Combi) has been retrofitted with PTVs in Y. It has been in service since July. Another is supposed to be retrofitted by December, we shall see.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Now it is beginning to be near the last part of this journey. The first flights went pretty much ok, from Helsinki to Amsterdam 737, no problems there. The second part was an all pax 747, we had seats next to the galley, which was a pretty good deal, considering that it gives me an illusion of more open space. Like I said, I really do have troubles flying. But the flight went so and so, some rough rides during the last part to Bangkok. And the plane didn't have PTV's, that kind of sucked. And there was a no movie period for about 4-5 hours. And I was too freaked out during the most part of the flight that I couldn't sleep one minute.
Now in a few days it's time to return home, and I'm already freaking out. We did get the same seats for the B747 part, next to the galley. But the last part from Amsterdam to Helsinki is an Embraer 190 plane. Only 90 passengers, any experiences on those? Are those hell for anyone suffering from fear of flight? I'm already thinking the shaking of a such a small plane.
What about the weather conditions? Is this a calm period for a BKK-AMS-HKI flight? The flight is at night time. Starting in BKK 23.35. And any news about PTV's on KLM's B747? Any chance of getting on a plane with PTV's?

And thanks again in advance for anyone answering, you're really a huge help!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I have no experience on the BKK-AMS route, but I am sure it will be fine. As for the Embraer, I think that you will find that they are larger planes than you would expect. Especially from the inside its quite a lot like flying the 737.

Maybe a useful tip, I have seen people who do not like flying ask for some ice in a cup. Holding an icecube will presumably help staying 'cool' (Literally and figuratively). Maybe this can help you in some way as well. So no worries my friend, it will be fine! :-)
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I have no experience on the BKK-AMS route, but I am sure it will be fine. As for the Embraer, I think that you will find that they are larger planes than you would expect. Especially from the inside its quite a lot like flying the 737.

Maybe a useful tip, I have seen people who do not like flying ask for some ice in a cup. Holding an icecube will presumably help staying 'cool' (Literally and figuratively). Maybe this can help you in some way as well. So no worries my friend, it will be fine! :-)

In fact during the last flight I found out that the most useful thing for me to do, is keep a cup of water on the table in front me. Even though it feels like the plane is shaking like crazy, the water in the cup barely moves. That really calmed me down. Plus I did some relaxing breathing exercises every time I felt like a panic attack is coming.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
still overall: anyday I still prefer the China Airlines F-class over the C-class product of KLM.

CI F-class is cheaper than KLM C-class
CI F-class seats you can sleep vs. KL C class seats: Hernia.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: FLYING BLUE Gold
I fly this route regularly.My last was out Jan20 Return Feb8. On the outward I used FF miles to book an award Business Class. But on the return had an economy. I am FB Gold so I booked a Comfort Zone 17E seat at 50% discount. It was only the second time in ten years that I have not flown this route on a Combi(as on the outward) it was an all pax 747.

The current Comfort Zone 17E seat is exactly the same seat found on the old all pax 747, the Combi however had previously squeezed in another row 18 and this row 18 was taken out on the Combi upgrade to give slightly more legroom in the Comfort Zone.

No seat back video, I have never flown on this route with seat back video, only the cabin roof screens. The economy food on this route just seems to get more basic every trip, cheaper and cheaper produced, the choice was some kind of fish and pasta...i took the pasta which was very poor and flavourless. I'm glad I took on a couple of snacks bought from the Bkk airport family mart. Even just a few months ago this route economy food was acceptable, this last time was disappointing. Decent wine and other drinks and easy access to snack boxes though.

On the Embraer, this plane is often used from my home airport Aberdeen Uk to Amsterdam, and I like it. It is a big plane like the 737 and have always had a very good flight on it.

Just one further note on the Bangkok airport departure. The gate (F4 i think) was much better organised this last trip. When the call was made for boarding usually they ask families first then Flying Blues and all previous boardings here were totally unpoliced and everyone just made a mad rush for the door. This time they had 2 doors, when the first precall was made the usual bunch of pushers made for the normal door, but what they did was open a second door first, up from the usual door and they only allowed families to approach it, then Flying Blues and Business with 2 gate attendants checking that all flyers were genuine bus or FB, and those not were shown to the first door and made to wait until the Bus Class and FBs were through.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:06 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Even just a few months ago this route economy food was acceptable, this last time was disappointing. Decent wine and other drinks and easy access to snack boxes though.
I don't think that its fair to say the food on this route has gone bad, based on one experience alone. It might just as well be good/better again next time
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: FLYING BLUE Gold
Sorry Xandrios, but being a regular flyer on this route with KLM for over ten years 3-4 times a year I am probably well placed to make comments on the food.

I didn't actually say the food had gone bad, I said it was disappointing compared to previous trips, but I will add that this is not a 'one off' because over this last year it has noticibly (to me) although gradually, lost the quality it had before. and if that is my experience and personal feeling, it is perfectly fair to say so.

If you have travelled this route recently and have had a different experience regarding the economy class food, I would be happy to hear about it, as I am due to travel next month on this route again. Bland tasteless food is the norm i suppose for most airline food, but previously I quite liked the food on this route.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Flew the 747-combi to BKK and CHI many times over the last few years. It is not a modern aircraft by any means - no private TVs or internet access. But I have to say it is a stable aircraft.

so do not worry about turbulence - 747 might be the best option for you.

if you can get a seat between row 9-17. it has a nice private cabin feel to it.

enjoy your trip. Thailand is wonderful
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
I've just done an AMS-BKK r/t and it was the full-pax B747-400 both ways - don't know if this is a 'permanent' equipment change, or just due to heavy booking over the holiday period/high season.

For me, it made little difference: upperdeck* outbound, nose-cone inbound (and first time for me in both cases). Interesting experience, though: my roller case fits into the overhead lockers of the vast majority of planes I've been on (excepting small Embraers and DASH) - even the D320. However, it wouldn't fit in the upstairs locker on the B747!!! (I guess the roof is just too close? In fact, when a fellow pax said my case was too big, the FA corrected him and said, "Actually, sir, the locker is too small!" )

-- Henry

* PS: alanw, now I finally 'get' your "Tilt-a-Gurney" post! (It had me a tad confused for a while, but with 10 hrs out in the 'bomb-shelter', and 11-hours back in the cone, I now understand/appreciate the sentiment.)

Last edited by Henry III; Apr 8, 2010 at 8:08 am Reason: Added PS/footnote.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by ben20
still overall: anyday I still prefer the China Airlines F-class over the C-class product of KLM...
While on the subject of China Airlines, now that CI is going to join SkyTeam, when can miles be earned by flying CI metal? Is there any announcement on reciprocal co-operation between KL and CI before CI officially becomes a SkyTeam member?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:00 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by jazzhou
While on the subject of China Airlines, now that CI is going to join SkyTeam, when can miles be earned by flying CI metal? Is there any announcement on reciprocal co-operation between KL and CI before CI officially becomes a SkyTeam member?
No announcement has been made yet so my guess you will have to wait till they join the alliance (or when they announce a (code-share) agreement).

Gajan
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:16 am

Private TV ?

Hello,
I will fly on that flight in 3 weeks. I'm "scared" because of what you said about the lack of PTV ... I can't imagine such a thing... I've never fly with KLM but with all other company I always have my PTV in economy class (China Airlines, Lufthansa, Mauritius, ...). Spending more than 10 hours without being able to choose your entertainment...
Please, tell me that the KLM had put PTV since your 2009's messages !

Thank you for your answer !
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:47 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by IloveDentaire
Hello,
I will fly on that flight in 3 weeks. I'm "scared" because of what you said about the lack of PTV ... I can't imagine such a thing... I've never fly with KLM but with all other company I always have my PTV in economy class (China Airlines, Lufthansa, Mauritius, ...). Spending more than 10 hours without being able to choose your entertainment...
Please, tell me that the KLM had put PTV since your 2009's messages !

Thank you for your answer !
All B744's have PTV's in economy now (as stated on this & previous page).

Gajan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.