Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Bus from Ottawa to Montreal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2007, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Question KLM Bus from Ottawa to Montreal

Hi. Can anyone share their experiences of traveling from Ottawa Rail Station (XDS) to Montreal (YUL) by the shuttle service offered by KLM Airlines?
Me and my wife are traveling soon with our new-born baby, and we are wondering about it.
Thanks,
Aseem
Old Dec 23, 2007, 5:16 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
No idea on comfort, but if the bus segment has a KL flight number (I think it does) then don't forget to claim your miles for the bus segments. You'll probably need to send your tickets in for a manual credit (that's what I have to do for the KL train service to Antwerp).

You should call KLM's Canada service desk (or whoever operate as KL agents in Canada (NW?)) and ask about the suitability of this bus service for babies.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 5:36 am

I have used it a few times - though the last time was more than two years ago.

Can't comment on suitability for young babies from direct experience... but I can't see why there would be a problem. The bus has airline-style seats, and I've never seen it more than half full - so you should always find a spare seat to strap a baby seat into.

Welcome to FT!
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:13 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
No experience with the KLM bus.....

..... but I can tell you that the YUL Airport Rail station is virtually within walking distance of the YUL terminal- a free shuttle bus loops through every 15 min. or so. You may find it cheaper to just pay your own VIA rail ticket and originate the KLM ticket from YUL.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
No experience with the KLM bus.....

..... but I can tell you that the YUL Airport Rail station is virtually within walking distance of the YUL terminal- a free shuttle bus loops through every 15 min. or so. You may find it cheaper to just pay your own VIA rail ticket and originate the KLM ticket from YUL.
From what I was told a few years ago you can book YOW-originating KLM tickets for the same price as the flight from YUL - in other words, the bus ride is free. I haven't been able to verify this because you can't book the YOW shuttle at all from Europe for some strange reason - the times I have used it I have always paid the driver, and the fare was all of CAD 15 one-way, which is cheaper than the train (and much less messing-around!)
Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Question

Wow... thanks for a great response guys. I have one more question though for those who took this bus recently.
I would like to know how you located the bus at Ottawa Rail Station and later while coming back at the YUL airport? Was it easy to find?
I will not be accompanying them on the way back, so would like to know in advance.
Thanks again.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:57 am

Unless things have changed since I last used the bus...:

- You can't really miss it at Ottawa rail station, it is parked just outside the building, and it is in KLM sky-blue and has "KLM" written on it. You check in inside the station building - they have a dedicated desk which is quite easy to spot.

- It's fairly easy to find at YUL as well, you just walk outside the terminal building and there it is! (From memory the bus stop is slightly to the left of the main door). They usually make an announcement about it on the flight just before you arrive, so just tell your wife to listen out for that.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks again, Aviatrix. Your detailed response was really very helpful. Do you know if there is just a one-time check-in of the luggage when boarding the bus, or if its done again at the airport?

Last edited by aseem73; Dec 23, 2007 at 4:14 pm
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:12 pm

There is no 'checkin' for the bus, though they might check that you're on the passenger list.

I tried claiming NW miles for this 'segment' but it came back saying 'non-qualifying activity' on the website. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
contact information

I dropped by the VIA Tail station in Ottawa & they now have posted the contact information for the shuttle buses from their to Trudeau Int'l Airport:

KLM 1 866 434 0321
Air France 1 800 667 2747
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: FB Gold; Qantas FF Silver
Took the bus service a while ago. Nothing special. Very normal ordinary, but comfortable bus. No check in, luggage service or anything special. Just a bus driver who has list of KLM passengers. Can't remember if you get miles for it, but don't think so. Not at lot miles anyways.
Should be allright for passengers with kids.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by flySN
Can't remember if you get miles for it, but don't think so. Not at lot miles anyways.
My understanding is that if it's booked as part of a KLM flight booking, with a KLM flight number, then it qualifies for miles.

The problem I had was that I couldn't book it with a KLM flight number from Europe. Tried online, tried over the phone - "not possible". The only option for me was to pay the driver. There were Canadians on board with flight tickets for the bus, and when I asked an Ottawa travel agent they said they were able to book it on the system.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:55 am

KLM Bus YUL>XDS

Found this thread via a Google search looking for where to pick the bus up at YUL - thanks for that info.
Cannot confirm about Miles although it does have a KL flgiht number (KL0301 for the 1830) as I am not taking it until Oct 14th. Can however confirm that it is bookable from Europe (well UK), on a through ticket, by simply searching for Ottawa or indeed XDS when looking for flights. Interestingly when I booked it was actually cheaper to book through to XDS than YUL itself (!). Also in my mind safer than using VIA as the current conenction from Montreal to Ottawa is I think a little short for the last VIA on a Sunday - at least as a through ticketed "flight" any connection problems are KLMs.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
See the thread I started in june in the main FB forum :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...ttawa-yul.html
You'll find some answers
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:12 pm

Air France / KLM buses Ottawa - Montreal

I've posted details on another site about these buses after several trips over the last couple years but it looks like it could be useful here too ...

Air France and KLM provide connecting bus services from Ottawa to Montreal Pierre Elliot Trudeau airport to / from Paris and Amsterdam.

First, when you book on AF / KLM that includes the Ottawa bus service, the itinerary will show that the origin is Ottawa Train Station (XDS) ... NOT YOW

These buses go to/from the Ottawa Railway Station on Tremblay Rd (not Fallowfield) and has the code XDS ... they don't go from Ottawa Airport or Ottawa Central Bus Station.

The buses are now operated by a company called Skyport International and usually brightly coloured on the sides saying Ottawa to Montreal Airport! (They used to be a plain white bus operated by Greyhound with a KLM or AF logo on the side.)

They have a KLM or Air France FLIGHT NUMBER and are quite rigid about departure times.

If you aren't on their list, you don't go (unless you have a boarding pass or itinerary with it mentioned). If you aren't there on time, you don't go. If you try to get on the wrong bus you may be rejected ... like an earlier bus or an "Air France" Flight when you have a "KLM" flight!

They depart from the 2nd lane at Ottawa Railway station and usually arrive about 10-15 mins before departure. Check in with the driver ... he has a list of names of expected passengers. There's a board inside the station doors with info about the buses and who to call in case of problems. Don't expect a lot of help since the call often goes to a call centre for Delta down in Detroit or Minneapolis who don't know much about the KLM/AF services!

No good asking the railway staff anything about these buses ... they know they come and go but not if they've come and gone! So, be on time!

Your bags go underneath and off you go ... about 2 hours later you're at Montreal ... you collect your bag and go check in / baggage drop.

To save time, you can check in online about 30 hours before the bus departure.

Beware the security lineup at Montreal is often very long. Go for coffee/food AFTER security.

Coming back, you will go through customs and immigration in Montreal and collect your bag. The new automated customs is usually a bit quicker.

Leave the new customs hall into the lobby, turn right and then right again ... follow to the end and outside. For a while there were signs directing people to the AF/KLM buses, but they've disappeared with all the new construction going on! If you ask airport staff, they'll shrug and point you outside or "down there"! Not very helpful.

Outside you'll see a road in front with buses and a car park opposite ... turn right and go to bus stop 7 or 8 (the bus will stop in front of one or the other) About 15 mins before the bus arrives, one of the handling agents for AF / KLM from Swissport (look at the lanyard his badge hangs on!) will wander around and check you off his list for the driver. He too isn't well organized considering they do this job a couple times a day every day of the year!

There are lots of buses through here ... and lots of people looking for their bus and you'll see other buses labeled Autocars Skyport (same company different service) and one labelled for a similar service to Quebec.

If you're late, and miss the bus, you'll have to find alternate transport.

It works ... but the distinct lack of info at Montreal end is frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.