Wiki Posts
Search

AMS WX cancellations Fri Nov 9

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
AMS WX cancellations Fri Nov 9

I can't paste the list from this stupid iPhone but KL has already canceledabout 60 flights, looks like KL and KLC European flights.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by alanw
I can't paste the list from this stupid iPhone but KL has already canceledabout 60 flights, looks like KL and KLC European flights.
Thanks Alanw. WX means weather I suppose? That list might grow...hope my flight will not suffer from it.
Where do you see the list? theres currently a non-working link regarding this on http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/trav...date/index.htm
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: FB PE, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, IC RA
Here in Holland the weather forecasts indicate a big storm approaching this week-end, especially along the coast.

That's probably the reason behing the WX cancellations...
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by euge
Here in Holland the weather forecasts indicate a big storm approaching this week-end, especially along the coast.

That's probably the reason behing the WX cancellations...
Yep - "interesting" aviation weather forecast for Schiphol. Includes these bits:

TEMPO 0018 32027G40KT 6000 -SHRA SCT012 SCT018CB BKN025 PROB30 TEMPO 0312 33032G45KT

Translation - wind from the North West, 27 knots gusting up to 40 knots, with a 30% chance of gusts up to 45 knots between 0300 and 1200 hours.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

got it from a mail, so no link. 45 kt winds ought to speed up the trip from the Polderbaan!

I am on a UA flight arriving at 9 connecting to a BA flight at noon. So far both look OK. The things we do to avoid Europe Select...
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
The things we do to avoid Europe Select...
Or to avoid having your long-haul flight cancelled due to lack of aircraft?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:43 am

Programs: klm pe
this stupid iPhone.

Ok. I know you can't cut and paste, but which other phone lets you read Flyertalk so brilliantly?

(OT posted by iphone)
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:56 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by yocko
Ok. I know you can't cut and paste, but which other phone lets you read Flyertalk so brilliantly?
Any Nokia S60 with 3G and HSDPA

To be honest I normally use the phone as modem for my laptop - I'd rather be able to see full web pages on a large screen. Going back to 2G (+EDGE) speeds would be unacceptable. And if there's WLAN I can just use the laptop's built-in WLAN.

BTW: cut-and-paste seems to be pretty basic functionality which has been around for ages.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

got it from a mail, so no link. 45 kt winds ought to speed up the trip from the Polderbaan!
Yeah, but the winds are northwesterly, so the Polderbaan can only be used for take-offs. With winds like that, getting from the terminal to the runway threshold should take an extra fifteen minutes at least.

Johan
Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: klm pe
Originally Posted by frankvb
Any Nokia S60 with 3G and HSDPA

To be honest I normally use the phone as modem for my laptop - I'd rather be able to see full web pages on a large screen. Going back to 2G (+EDGE) speeds would be unacceptable. And if there's WLAN I can just use the laptop's built-in WLAN.

BTW: cut-and-paste seems to be pretty basic functionality which has been around for ages.
LOL. LOL. LOL. different forum, different war. Let's get back to the AMS weather...
Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by yocko
LOL. LOL. LOL. different forum, different war. Let's get back to the AMS weather...
Yes, in retrospect I shouldn't have posted this. Hence the

But I just couldn't help it

The storm was less serious than predicted in the Netherlands, at least that's what I read in the NOS nieuws website yesterday. Now there is a report about some new delays:
Originally Posted by nosjournaal
Het slechte weer heeft ook vanochtend geleid tot vertragingen op Schiphol. Tussen 7 en 9 uur 's ochtends landen er doorgaans 65 vliegtuigen per uur. Dat waren er nu 40,zegt een woordvoerder. Dat kwam doordat een van de twee landingsbanen tijdelijk dicht was.

De storm heeft in Nederland nauwelijks schade aangericht, en ook in Duitsland vallen de gevolgen mee. Alleen op het eiland Helgoland in de Duitse Bocht van de Noordzee is veel vernield. De schade loopt er in de miljoenen.

De eerste najaarsstorm van dit jaar leidde tot hoge waterstanden, maar echt gevaarlijk werd het nergens.
Between 7 and 9 this morning the amount of planes landing per hour was down from 65 to 40, causing delays. Only 1 of normally 2 runways could be used for landing.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:44 am

Most flights were delayed this morning at AMS, as far as I could see from the info screens. But no cancellations, just reduced capacity like you say. We were in a holding pattern for landing for an extra 30 minutes this morning. So I am happy, didn't like the thought of spending the day in the Schengen lounge, however nice it is
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Consider yourself lucky! I got to spend three hours in the BA lounge at AMS yesterday and, well, it's no Terraces. Filthy, tacky old furniture, nothing to eat except some junk food, nothing to read except the Mail (which I gather is the print equivalent of Fox News). Dire. On a positive note, they have large versions of those sausages we used to love in the KL lounges!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technical ATC problems caused a 2/3 capacity reduction at Schiphol this afternoon.

Johan
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:15 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
And again WX delays today...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.