Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra Thorough Immigration at Schiphol now?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Extra Thorough Immigration at Schiphol now?

I arrived at AMS with BA at the D-pier, and waited for almost an hour in line for immigration. The queue stretched up past the escalators into the departure hall, and area below was packed with people. I have always been able to get through immigration/customs at AMS in a flash, so this came as something of a surprise.

Is there some specific threat immigration is looking for, or are immigration officials in the Netherlands simply becoming more strict?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:11 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Same at manchester the other day: took 45 mins which I have never expoerienced before. They were computer reading every passport.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:16 am

Do you have to wait in immigration if you're catching a connecting flight?

Flying KLM next week from ABZ-AMS with only an hour to spare before catching the connecting flight to dubai.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RD1280

Flying KLM next week from ABZ-AMS with only an hour to spare before catching the connecting flight to dubai.
No need for immigration clearance on that itin, but if you're going to a Schengen country you will need to go through passport checks on arrival.

I assume the OP checked what the Schengen lines were like, but an alternative may have been to a) queue up as a transit pax then just exist to landside from there, or b) walk along to the F pier & see what the queues were like there. Option a for handbaggage only, but I believe all the belts are in a connected customs hall so option B is ok if you've got bags in check.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:48 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by RD1280

Sounds like you will be leaving ABZ on the 10:50 arriving AMS at 13:25 then leaving on the KL427 for Dubai at 14:30.

You will arrive from ABZ at the D non shenghen gates and will leave probably from the F gates for Dubai. You do not have to clear any immigration but if you have any sort of delay it could cause a problem as you have a long walk.

pmcg
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith
Same at manchester the other day: took 45 mins which I have never expoerienced before. They were computer reading every passport.
This is why I got the Privium Membership. I think it's great! 2 Mins max to get through passport line.

http://www.schiphol.nl/privium/
Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
No need for immigration clearance on that itin, but if you're going to a Schengen country you will need to go through passport checks on arrival.

I assume the OP checked what the Schengen lines were like, but an alternative may have been to a) queue up as a transit pax then just exist to landside from there, or b) walk along to the F pier & see what the queues were like there. Option a for handbaggage only, but I believe all the belts are in a connected customs hall so option B is ok if you've got bags in check.
The problem is I had hold luggage to collect, which means I had no choice but to go through immigration at the D pier in order to access the baggage hall 1. Otherwise I would have gone through another immigration point.

The baggage halls (3 of them) are not actually connected, or passengers are not supposed to be able to walk between them.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
When the transit queue streched all over the terminal, I've sometimes simply gone out via baggage claim and gotten back in like an AMS originating pax. You can easily see the lines at the security check before you decide on doing that - which can save you lots of time.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:11 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
The problem is I had hold luggage to collect, which means I had no choice but to go through immigration at the D pier in order to access the baggage hall 1. Otherwise I would have gone through another immigration point.

The baggage halls (3 of them) are not actually connected, or passengers are not supposed to be able to walk between them.
This is incorrect. Baggage halls 1 and 2 are definitely connected and for many flights you clear immigration at hall 1 and baggage is at hall 2. So you always have the option to clear immigration at the end of Pier D, OR at the end of Pier E, OR go through Schengen immigration and enter baggage halls 1 and 2 from there.

For hall 3, you can clear immigration either at the end of Pier F OR Pier G.

Leaving AMS to a non-Schnegen destination, you have the option of using passport control / Security in Hall 1, 2 OR 3. I often walk over to another hall when queues are too long.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:43 am

And baggage hall 3 is connected to 1 and 2 through a corridor. So it would be possible to walk from hall 1 to hall 3 and back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.