Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe Select back again?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Europe Select back again?

Returned to SFO from AMS yesterday. Read in the inflight magazine that they will be bringing back the "select " [?!] cabin on all flights over 65 minutes, beginning Oct 31st. Does that mean they will have select cabin on flights to GLA and BLQ from AMS? As a NW Gold, NW help line says they can't get me seats further forward than 9A because they are reserved for KL elites, even though I'm travelling on biz class ticket. It's marginally worth trying to gets seats further forward if select services return. Are they changing their Europe business class services again?
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Forget it, there is no biz, no matter what they call it, get the emergency exit on any European flight. KLM should be kicked in the arse for mis leading advertising such as the one they run for the new style biz class seat that are actually on a 777
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Steve,
I'm travelling in Biz on 777 from SFO to AMS next month. Is the seat uncomfortable? Does the seat go any flatter than on the MD11?
Old Sep 9, 2004, 1:23 pm
j2h

Programs: KL PE For Life; UA Premier; SQ; InterContinental Ambassador; BA Exec
The seat will go flatter; absolutely. But guess what?! You'll slide out and spend the entire flight fighting moving forward... Any other position is equllay uncomfortable (sitting straight, reclinig you name it).In addition, the cabin with 35 seats (5 rows 7 accross) feels cramped. 2 CA's run like crazy to keep all pax happy (if you're lucky) also not helping to your sense of comfort. Lavatory's are in the front of the cabin and every time somebody opens the door the whole cabin is lit up!
Classis WBC on the 744 and MD11 may be older and lacks the interactive IFES but who cares if you can lie back and relax!
There was some rumour KLM would further recline the seats (from current 176 to flat) but have not hear anything further on this!

Another former rumour related to European economy; alcoholic beverages and newspaper would return. Since I mainly fly F100 in Europe -still with both 'luxury item's' available for a few more weeks- can anyone confirm KLM has re-introduced these on 737 operated flights? I guess not as it would make select even more of a laughing stock....

I'm on a roll, so moving on to the FD Helpdesk (and I have to say the Dutch speaking agents have been nothing but friendly and helpful); am trying to get an upgrade to MIA via DTW. Unsuccessful for weeks with still 17 seats open! Can no-longer upgrade in lounge (as we all knew) but never realized upgrade needs to be requested 14 days in advance on non KLM operated flights!
As PE may benefit from comp upgrade DTW-MIA but my partner is 'only' GE... Could buy upgrade for him but then in run the risk of not getting comp u/g myself. Anyone got any experience or useful tips here?
Other comment from Helpdesk is that: on NW flights NW Worldperks members (only) will get upgrades; waitinglist is no longer possible (after trying for over a month I was initially advised no pax had been able to use points to upgrade; have been trying regulary to be told now that other pax have managed toget upgrade and that no more seats will be made available - guess only solution is to call Helpdesk every hour on the hour and even then...).

Have decided to revive my Singapore Air account - just out of spite!
Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
As\posted above, the MD11 is the best in row 1 and the front row downstairs or exit row upstairs on the 747. I flew a 777 about 2 weeks ago on an Asian carrier and it was 2 x 2 and very roomy and very comfortable
Old Sep 10, 2004, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2h
As PE may benefit from comp upgrade DTW-MIA but my partner is 'only' GE... Could buy upgrade for him but then in run the risk of not getting comp u/g myself. Anyone got any experience or useful tips here?
Being a Gold elite till november last year i made around 6 North Atlantic crossings before turning Platinum.

Out of them 6 trips i got upgraded every single time. The trick here is to find a agent who doesnt know that KLM GE's are not entitled to an upgrade. Numerous times i asked the lounge agents only to be told that I am not entitled to an upgrade. Even tried at boarding gates with no luck. But the whole point is keep on trying. If one says no then go to another

What i also used to do is phone up the NW elite line and ask them to upgrade me before hand. Normally they would just confirm me there and then, if no seats available then i would try at the airport. But i have read somewhere that the Elite line no longer processes upgrades. Try calling them anyway? You never know.

Drop me a p/m if you want any more info.
Rip
Old Sep 10, 2004, 6:51 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by lallyr
Out of them 6 trips i got upgraded every single time. The trick here is to find a agent who doesnt know that KLM GE's are not entitled to an upgrade. Numerous times i asked the lounge agents only to be told that I am not entitled to an upgrade. Even tried at boarding gates with no luck. But the whole point is keep on trying. If one says no then go to another
Good in theory, not so good in practice. NW agents have a habit of documenting your PNR when they inform you "no upgrades." That can make things with the next agent a big embarassing...
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:18 am
j2h

Originally Posted by lallyr
Being a Gold elite till november last year i made around 6 North Atlantic crossings before turning Platinum.

What i also used to do is phone up the NW elite line and ask them to upgrade me before hand. Rip
Thanks for the tip. So best bet is to try during layover in DTW?
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah if all else fails then try again at the layover. Wouldnt bother trying in the lounge... i never used to have any luck in there. Try at the boarding gate.

Have you tried giving NW airlines a call in the US? Like i said earlier, they used to be able to upgrade you manually before hand. I think it was 3 days before a flight.

Has your seat been upgraded to First yet?
Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:00 am
j2h

Not yet but flight isn't until 30th. Will call NWA a few days before just to find out. Given booking class they won't upgrade me anyway until few days prior to departure.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing you might want to be carefull about is that if you are under the same booking ref the NW system wont upgrade you. NW will have to split the booking. I have read of this a few times on the NW forum.

Maybe some one else can confirm if this is still the case.

Never actually experianced this my self as i still consider my self lucky enough to not have a wife So always travel on my own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.