Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 27, 04, 10:00 am   #1

Programs: AA: EXEC PLT & 3MM miler; UA: 1k; KL/AF: life PLT; BA: Gold; SPG: Platinum
Best seats in WBC on MD-11

Flying from AMS to YUL next week. Believe that equipment is MD-11. What is best seat on that flight?
Thanks
anandrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 04, 10:19 am   #2

Anything in rows 1 or 2 on the M11 is a fantastic experience because of the mini-cabin.
B747-437B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 04, 10:24 am   #3

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Plat/LTG, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Another vote for the front section here .
MAN Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 04, 11:34 am   #4

Programs: AA: EXEC PLT & 3MM miler; UA: 1k; KL/AF: life PLT; BA: Gold; SPG: Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Anything in rows 1 or 2 on the M11 is a fantastic experience because of the mini-cabin.
I booked seat 2J. That one good?
Old Jul 27, 04, 1:29 pm   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandrag
I booked seat 2J. That one good?
It is fine, although I personally prefer bulkhead seat 1J (or 1A. My choice would depend on the time and heading of the flight, I prefer to avoid direct sunlight).

johan
johan rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 04, 1:54 pm   #6

I think the bulkhead on that plane is the best seat in the fleet. Tons of room in front of you, on the right-hand side there is no galley to bother you, nobody to lean back in front of you, and you can leave your seat and walk upright to the loo while the aisle guy is sleeping fully reclined.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 04, 2:11 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw
I think the bulkhead on that plane is the best seat in the fleet. Tons of room in front of you, on the right-hand side there is no galley to bother you, nobody to lean back in front of you, and you can leave your seat and walk upright to the loo while the aisle guy is sleeping fully reclined.
So the right side would be 1J and 1K?
By the way, how much do the seats recline? I am flying over to Europe in BC on BA which is just always a pleasure due to the totally flat beds
Old Jul 27, 04, 3:18 pm   #8

Yes, I think it's the J/K side.

The seats don't recline flat - they are actually pretty old. I liken them more to a barcalounger than one of the high-tech pod things you'll find on BA. As my father can attest, it is possible to sleep in a barcalounger, as he has done so immediately after dinner every night for the last decade.

Right after takeoff, they close off the galley on this side leaving a solid wall. Since service and lavs are on the other side, this is both the roomiest and the quietest of the whole plane. I prefer to take the 11 over the 777 or the new NW 340s just because of this.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 04, 3:43 pm   #9

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN, KL PfL, SQ PPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandrag
By the way, how much do the seats recline? I am flying over to Europe in BC on BA which is just always a pleasure due to the totally flat beds
BA's Club World seats are far, far better than the KL WBC seats, which were state-of-the-are perhaps ten years ago. On flights where I need to get some sleep, I will fly BA over KL even if it means a transfer in the zoo that is LHR. I haven't been on the new WBC on the 777's, which is said to be a lot better, but on the MD-11 it's a painful experience IMHO. (Not that the CW seats are perfect; they're rather narrow and hard, and BA's IFE is in dire need of upgrading...)
WearyBizTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 04, 7:39 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
BA's Club World seats are far, far better than the KL WBC seats, which were state-of-the-are perhaps ten years ago. On flights where I need to get some sleep, I will fly BA over KL even if it means a transfer in the zoo that is LHR. I haven't been on the new WBC on the 777's, which is said to be a lot better, but on the MD-11 it's a painful experience IMHO. (Not that the CW seats are perfect; they're rather narrow and hard, and BA's IFE is in dire need of upgrading...)
Agree with you. Spent many hours in WBC going to Asia on KLM over last few years and not the best seats. I haven't been on the 777's or the NW 330's so wondering how they are. Come to think of it, i don't think I have ever been in WBC on the 11 either. Done many in NW's DC-10s which must rate as the worst BC value for $ of any major airline.
Regarding BA: I am going to Coventry as my first stop so BA made sense for the way over to Europe anyway. I would say that the CW seats are quite good though, with the position of the headrest when flat being my biggest complaint