Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bring the City of Calgary to Calgary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Bring the City of Calgary to Calgary

A local aviation videographer created this video on the weekend, as part of a group effort to have PH-BFC deployed to YYC before its retirement. Even picked up by the NL sites!

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...y-naar-calgary
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Sinds de ingebruikname van het toestel in 1989 is de PH-BFC nog nooit in Calgary geweest."

In the Good Old Days KL would fly aircraft to the city they were named after to be christened with champagne. I'll post some stuff in the Memorabilia thread when I get around to it.

Johan
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I guess PH-BFC won't be coming after all.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2195734-vlieg...r-calgary.html
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:05 pm

That was to be expected. If a rotation is ever replaced with a 744 they might try to make it happen though. They send a 744 to YYZ every so often (in fact, PH-BFC most recently on the 28th) too.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:47 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
"Zo'n eenmalige vlucht heeft een te grote impact op de rest van onze vlootoperatie. Op Calgary vliegen andere types toestellen. Als we de 747-400 inzetten dan duperen wij te veel passagiers op onze andere lijnvluchten."
I'd say that it is a financial matter. Worst case they fly this B747 to Calgary the last day of it being in service - I do not believe for a second that its new replacement aircraft is only available from the very first day that it starts service.

Yes, the B747 uses more fuel. And yes, it probably will be half empty. So I do understand that they don't want to do it - but not for the reasons they mention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.