Wiki Posts
Search

Award tickets cancelled to SXM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Award tickets cancelled to SXM

KLM has cancelled award tickets to Sint Maarten for late October. I have been requested to contact KLM about it. What are my options and rights in this situation? I would like to know before I call them. Also I do not know now what I would like to do at the moment. Perhaps we would delay the trip.

Rebook for an other destination? Refund of the miles and payment? How is the compensation handeld in this situation? Is it a capacity reducement? Or a force Majeur? We booked them before the hurricane.

I am fully aware of the situation on Sint Maarten and would appreciate if we can keep it to the subject. We have good reasons to go. Personally but also economical.

Last edited by Meneer Guggenheimer; Sep 21, 2017 at 5:19 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:32 am

Given that it is more than 2 weeks out, no compensation is due, even if it wasn't/isn't related to the damage cause by the hurricane.

I would expect refund or rebook at another date will be the most viable options, rebooking for another destination might be more tricky if there is no award availability, although KL might try to accommodate, I would advise on having your request/plan ready when you call, if you think you can make alternative arrangement somewhere else, be prepared to say where you want to go to, and which flight(s) you would like to take.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Given that the airfield is barely operational (traffic tower is wrecked, equipment destroyed) and there's a lot of emergency services trying to get in and people getting out, commercial flights might have a very very low priority into Sint Maarten.

So I'd say this is a textbook force majeur situation

One of KLM's 747's made it into Sint Maarten last week with a volunteer crew, supplies and managed to evacuate a lot of people on several runs.

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nederland/p...ed-terechtkwam
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
You had 8 awards tickets in E-Comfy? I can remember you posting somewhere else, and thought about it when the storm hit Sint-Maarten.

Try to call the Platinum desk and see what they can do for you. But I assume it will be a difficult conversation given the amount of seats and the price you paid.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Justin Case
You had 8 awards tickets in E-Comfy? I can remember you posting somewhere else, and thought about it when the storm hit Sint-Maarten.
Yeah, that came to mind when I saw the destruction wrought on Sint Maarten, too!

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
I took the SXM 50% with the whole family of 8! And we are in EC as I am platinum for free.
Justin Case likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am fully aware of the situation on Sint Maarten and would appreciate if we can keep it to the subject. We have good reasons to go. Personally but also economical.
Are you saying that you still want to travel to Sint Maarten?

Johan
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: FB Plat
Just before the hurricane formed, I booked flights to SXM for January. It looks like full the cleanup / rebuild while take a long while yet, so I changed destination*.

Here's the official info on KLM.com. Mine was a dirt cheap non-ref/non-change ticket. But I got it changed at no question and no fee, only paying the small price difference.

I recommend you phone them to discuss your options: they handled my case brilliantly and the entire call took only 10 minutes.

*I'll definitely go to St Martin at a later date, because I love the island and want to make sure they get my tourist €s.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:46 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I believe the current route is to fly to Curacao and from there on to St maarten?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Are you saying that you still want to travel to Sint Maarten?

Johan
Air France is still scheduled to fly then. The hotel is reopening and life does go on. Economical the island needs to reboot as fast as it can. There are many reasons not to go. But there also reasons to go
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Have to say that Caribbean got hit hard by the hurricanes this year. Irma, Jose then Maria, not to mention Harvey that demolished Houston right before ... :/
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As per the last info posted today, both KL and AF services to SXM are cancelled until end october.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-oct-2017/
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can KLM rebook you on AF or DL (or any other partner that serves SXM)?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:25 am

But there also reasons to go
No. As anybody with experience in emergencies will tell you, the airline seats, rooms, rental cars will be needed for emergency workers, engineers, etc. In situations like this you stay out of the way.
husball likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
No. As anybody with experience in emergencies will tell you, the airline seats, rooms, rental cars will be needed for emergency workers, engineers, etc. In situations like this you stay out of the way.
It is not like we travel directly after the storm.

We will travel 7 weeks or later after it so we are on the edge of what now is communicated. (Our hotel will be open). We will leave it open and decide before and also listen to the people and the companies on Sint Maarten what is wise.

Easiest would be to go to an ABC island and spend the money there. But that would be a double loss towards Sint Maarten.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
7 weeks isn't that much time for recovery after a hurricane of this scale. What are you wanting to do there? Hotels might be open (more likely for recovery / business related travel), but you can't go to the beach because it will stink and there'll be a pile of debris in the water. No much hiking either because nobody will care about the trails until the island is in shape. That's not a great holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.