Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thalys to KLM - 90 minutes on a single ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Thalys to KLM - 90 minutes on a single ticket

I'm looking into booking KLM ticket from Antwerp to Vienna via AMS with KLM, with Antwerp to Amsterdam segment operated by Thalys. I'm being offered 91 minutes long transfer at AMS. It would sound OK, except I will be traveling with checked baggage and since it's train to plane transfer, I will have to check it at AMS. I wonder if it's doable comfortably? I'm mostly worried about line at AMS check-in.

If the train is late and I miss my flight for that reason, does EU261 apply as usual? I don't really care about compensation, but hotel would be nice.

Another issue is that website doesn't let me purchase extra bag for my return leg (probably because it includes train segment) stating I can only do that at the airport. Is there any way around it or would I really have to purchase baggage at the airport (which means additional hassle at the airport and extra costs).
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:45 am

If you have access to priority check-in and security, 90 minutes is plenty, otherwise it might be very tight, but looking at the MCT, and considering your flight is therefore in winter, it's probably still fine.
If your train is delayed, I'm sure KL will take care of you.

The MCT, for reference, is:

Code:
KL-KL II 2.00 EQP TRN - ALL OPN -31OCT17
KL-KL II 1.30 EQP TRN - ALL 01NOV17-INF
the810 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:50 pm

I think time wise you should be fine and as there's always a lady at the entry of the line, you could tell them you were on a KL booked Thalys and you only have X minutes until your next flight, they'll most likely help you out accordingly

As for purchasing the luggage, I had the same issue the other day and after contacting the social media helpdesk (Facebook), they provided me with a special link so I could pay the cheaper price for additional luggage instead of the more expensive airport rate.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
As it is offered as one single ticket you should be protected if you would miss the connection. The eu regulations regarding compensation apply to flights only, though something similar may exist for train trips as well?

When is your flight? From now on the airport will slowly be less crowded as holidays are finishing, though of course there are still busy days during school breaks or other celebrations.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
If policies don't change before your departure, you're allowed to take one Thalys earlier or later without changing tickets (you only risk being on a jump seat).

Thalys trains run every 1-2 hours during the day, so if you feel more confident taking an earlier train you'll have more transfer time at Schiphol.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:03 am

The clarifications to EU261 published last year specifically state that train journeys are not covered, even if purchased as part of your airfare (page 21 section 6).
That said, I do believe KL would rebook you if needed, but compensation does not apply.

Imo you'll be fine if you keep an eye on any possible train issues the day before and the day of departure. If you cannot book an earlier train try contacting KL directly. They've been able to issue tickets like these for me that were not showing online.

Members of the Thalys loyalty programme travelling on semi-flex tickets may show up for an earlier or later train and travel without seat assignment when speaking to the train manager before boarding. Semi-flex allows the train directly before or directly after your booking, whereas Flex allows you to choose any train on the same day. It's been 20 months since I last did the KL/Thalys thing, so I'm not sure how the train tickets are issued these days. Thalys are changing their fare structure for departures from December 10th and onwards, so that may also change things.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Eurobonus (gold), Accor (plat), Bonvoy (plat)
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
. It's been 20 months since I last did the KL/Thalys thing, so I'm not sure how the train tickets are issued these days..
Thalys tickets on behalf of KL ("AirRail") indeed allow to board the previous or the next service aswell (but without seat guarantee).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Nico40
Thalys tickets on behalf of KL ("AirRail") indeed allow to board the previous or the next service aswell (but without seat guarantee).
I am currently in a KL ticketed Thalys and I've taken 1 train later I've booked (so it's possible), but they've issued a new ticket at the NS International Train ticketing desk at Schiphol.

AMS departing KL train tickets only mention 'restricted fare - AIRRAIL KL', while Brussels departing tickets mention (in Dutch) 'this ticket is also valid on the Thalys train before and after the planned train time, without seating guarantee'.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arjen05
AMS departing KL train tickets only mention 'restricted fare - AIRRAIL KL', while Brussels departing tickets mention (in Dutch) 'this ticket is also valid on the Thalys train before and after the planned train time, without seating guarantee'.
As pax taking the train from AMS are invariably connecting from a flight, surely the ticket must allow them to take the first departing Thalys. In case of severe delays, that may well be much later than the first train after the one originally booked.

Johan
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
As pax taking the train from AMS are invariably connecting from a flight, surely the ticket must allow them to take the first departing Thalys. In case of severe delays, that may well be much later than the first train after the one originally booked.

Johan
Correct; as all Thalys tickets departing AMS have to be picked up from the NS ticket desk at Schiphol, and will therefore be issued only for the next departing train.

The comment you replied to, though, specifically limited this to tickets departing Brussels (or Antwerp) - so, in the OPPOSITE direction.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
Does this philosophy also apply to Cityhopper flights? ;-)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I will be going to Antwerp in Jan and had planned to book all through KLM, they seem to be offering connections of 70 mins which seems a bit short. I can get one for just over 2 hours which seems better with luggage. Do I have to go to the NS ticket office to pick up the train ticket ?
The other query was for luggage, when I try a dummy booking it shows no luggage though I should have one piece included from FB card. Is this just a software glitch or will they want to charge for it ?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:23 pm

70 minutes on arrival should be plenty, even if you wait 50 minutes for your luggage you can still make it.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by ninjalad
I will be going to Antwerp in Jan and had planned to book all through KLM, they seem to be offering connections of 70 mins which seems a bit short. I can get one for just over 2 hours which seems better with luggage. Do I have to go to the NS ticket office to pick up the train ticket ?
The other query was for luggage, when I try a dummy booking it shows no luggage though I should have one piece included from FB card. Is this just a software glitch or will they want to charge for it ?
On arrival it's not really a big deal. Even if you don't make it, the Thalys runs every hour so you'll just be put on the next one. Also, the Thalys departure platform is literally a minute away from the baggage claim exit. And yes, you have to go to the NS International ticket office to pick up a ticket.

As for luggage -- the Thalys does not have a luggage allowance but your plat status should show luggage for the actual air segments.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:18 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by the810
I'm looking into booking KLM ticket from Antwerp to Vienna via AMS with KLM, with Antwerp to Amsterdam segment operated by Thalys. I'm being offered 91 minutes long transfer at AMS. It would sound OK, except I will be traveling with checked baggage and since it's train to plane transfer, I will have to check it at AMS. I wonder if it's doable comfortably? I'm mostly worried about line at AMS check-in.

If the train is late and I miss my flight for that reason, does EU261 apply as usual? I don't really care about compensation, but hotel would be nice.

Another issue is that website doesn't let me purchase extra bag for my return leg (probably because it includes train segment) stating I can only do that at the airport. Is there any way around it or would I really have to purchase baggage at the airport (which means additional hassle at the airport and extra costs).
In addition to what has been said, remember to keep your validated Thalys ticket as you will need to show it at check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.