Wiki Posts
Search

Current state/quality of KLM wifi?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Current state/quality of KLM wifi?

Last month I flew on a KL-operated 787 back from the US, which offered wifi onboard.

However the very small 120MB data limit, tied to a hefty €20 price tag stopped me from trying it. Mainly since I read some reviews from 2016 saying the poor connectivity and hoops you'd have to go through to actually connect (buy voucher in-flight, create a Panasonic account, log in with account and enter voucher number).

I couldn't justify myself in getting Wifi, retrieving and sending a bunch of Emails and loading some online google sheets, only to run out within an hour or two of data usage and having to spend another €20 to load up another 120MB

What's the current state/quality of the KLM inflight wifi on planes that offer it. Is it still as bad as stated above or did they improve on the quality and ease of use?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
No, it is still a complete disaster. After purchase it usually simply doesn't work for me at all.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
No, it is still a complete disaster. After purchase it usually simply doesn't work for me at all.
I trust you get your money back every time?

Johan
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:49 pm

I used it once recently and it was one of the only times in my life where I found it useful to be an IT person outside of work. I probably wouldn't have been able to get it working otherwise.

I found that I burned through the 50 MB package *really* quickly even though I tried to disable as many auto-download/auto-update functions on my phone as I could.

I probably wouldnt buy it again unless the data allotment went up, way up.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

I don't get it. As an airline you introduce a new product that's VERY expensive to install or retrofit and then you make it an absolute horrible and overpriced experience to use.

What's up with that. I'd assume some people at AFKL tested it before actually buying it from Panasonic?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Wunk
I'd assume some people at AFKL tested it before actually buying it from Panasonic?
Nothing in the history of everything has been tested so thoroughly.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...rd-2013-a.html
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Nothing in the history of everything has been tested so thoroughly.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...rd-2013-a.html
I think it took them 3 years to get it working at all, then decided too much money was sunk into it to declare it a failure and start over.

I am in a lot of planes with wi-fi, transcon US and intercontinental. I have never had this level of issues with internet. It's a complete disgrace.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

then decided too much money was sunk into it to declare it a failure and start over.
An all too common problem with software projects.

Those in charge just keep on throwing more resources at the problem, while everyone else can see it is just money down the drain.

At work I deal with the consequences of one such project every day, even though it has now been "in development" for over seven years. Another one has been looming on the horizon for about the same time. I sincerely hope it stays there forever.

Johan
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I think it took them 3 years to get it working at all, then decided too much money was sunk into it to declare it a failure and start over.
yet a common sense approach of 'Hey, Delta's gogo service works pretty sweet, let's see if we can install that as well' didn't come to mind?
aviationbuff likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

yet a common sense approach of 'Hey, Delta's gogo service works pretty sweet, let's see if we can install that as well' didn't come to mind?
That came to mind, and then they got 5 bids, and went with the one that was 2.5MM EUR lower than the competitor, thinking 'what is the worst that could happen', no doubt.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I just purchased a 30 euro pass on my flight from AMS-MSP. First of all it's ridiculous to have data caps like that, but nothing I can do to change that. However, it worked like crap, and I was only able to use about 1/2 of my data allotment. How has everyone been getting refunds? I tried submitting for a refund on the KLM site, but because I was on a delta ticket (006) it directed me back to Delta....
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:19 pm

Either way Delta handles customer service for KL in the US, so you got redirected to the right place, please do report back if you get a refund.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
And if you're T-Mobile US customer, then you have it for free as well (you can add it as an subsciption to your plan).
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:41 pm

The problem may be that back when that decision was being made, Gogo was based on terrestrial towers and thus not available outside the United States.

These days they have a system that works off of satellites as well so it'd be a different matter today.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
The free limited wifi with Emirates is a better experience then KLM paid wifi service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.