Search

Flying j ord-sfo 747, 1a or 4a?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Flying j ord-sfo 747, 1a or 4a?

Hello all,

I have a trip in the distant future (December) from Ord into ams in business on a 747. I've never flown in a 747 and so even though they are older planes I am looking forward to it. I'm hoping for some advice on seats.

right now the map is wide open. I'm flying solo and definitely want aisle access and would prefer to not have anyone disturb me to get up. I've heard good things about 1a and 4a.

I'm wondering both how close 1a is to the other side of the aisle and in what order service goes.

thanks y'all
z
Old May 10, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Personally I prefer 1A.

Here's a picture of the C from a AMS-ORD trip report (Source: http://flight-report.com/fr/report/2...MS-Chicago-ORD). It's in French but has lots of picture to look at.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
1A is also my first choice when travelling solo. It's very private and you can easily access the cupboard at the front if you need extra storage. But 4A is a great seat too, and 4E is also fine. Overall, KLM's 747 lower-deck business class is one of my favourite cabins.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
1A is also my first choice when travelling solo. It's very private and you can easily access the cupboard at the front if you need extra storage. But 4A is a great seat too, and 4E is also fine. Overall, KLM's 747 lower-deck business class is one of my favourite cabins.
^

Absolutely agree with this pecking order. 1A is the most quiet seat in the house and the proximity to the neighbours across the aisle has never bothered me. Main deck is definitely preferable to the upper deck which gets a lot of foot traffic to the cockpit and restrooms.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Thanks y'all. For the record the main post is correct in saying ORD-AMS. I dunno where SFO came from in the title
Old May 11, 2017, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Zorland
Thanks y'all. For the record the main post is correct in saying ORD-AMS. I dunno where SFO came from in the title
KLM's wishful thinking of being allowed to operate domestic US sectors
Old May 11, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: FB plat, *G, Hilton diamond, Accor plat, Sixt plat
Originally Posted by sbams
^

Absolutely agree with this pecking order. 1A is the most quiet seat in the house and the proximity to the neighbours across the aisle has never bothered me. Main deck is definitely preferable to the upper deck which gets a lot of foot traffic to the cockpit and restrooms.
For night flights I like 4A more, it is also very quiet, but the footwell is much larger than in 1 A, so for sleeping I consider it the best seat
Old May 13, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
On my flight recently service started with 1J and 1K and then 1A, but that might have been more a polite thing to do, as 1J and 1K were an older couple traveling together and I was (am) a young solo traveler.

1A is my favorite, for sure. I know people are always raving about the upperdeck but personally I much rather have window AND aisle access in the front of the plane than a so-called "private cabin" upstairs with 2x2 seating. It's not like you turn around to look at the rest of the plane, so the forward WBC cabin feels very private anyways.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I liked 4A. I feel claustrophobic when I am up front and only have a wall in front of me. I liked that 4A was private, no one behind me (all the traffic is on the other side of the plane), extremely quiet and I could see the entire cabin. Just a weird preference, YMMV. I agree with df3062 in that the footwell area was large. Between that and the way its placed, its the roomiest area I have ever experienced in Biz.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I liked 4A. I feel claustrophobic when I am up front and only have a wall in front of me. I liked that 4A was private, no one behind me (all the traffic is on the other side of the plane), extremely quiet and I could see the entire cabin. Just a weird preference, YMMV. I agree with df3062 in that the footwell area was large. Between that and the way its placed, its the roomiest area I have ever experienced in Biz.
Well said. It's 1A if you like a private somewhat closed in experience. 4A if you like a spacious loungy look and feel. I also confirm the ottoman (footwell) is smaller in 1A, due to the curvature of the nose of the 747.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:34 am

Flying 2 pax and options are 4J/K and 77J/K. Any suggestions for a red-eye to Europe? I like the novelty of an upper deck, but if there's really a lot of traffic/noise, then perhaps the main deck option is better. My concern with being in row 4 is noise from the galley, but this doesn't seem to be an issue based on the above. There is also 79 available on UD, but that looks to be very close to the galley.

TIA for help.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
I've never had a problem with any J seats. I love both decks on KLM's 747's. The catering out of Amsterdam is great, but out of ORD is very hit and miss.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Upper deck is lovely and an experience that'll soon be gone. I'd go upper.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by onfo
Flying 2 pax and options are 4J/K and 77J/K. Any suggestions for a red-eye to Europe? I like the novelty of an upper deck, but if there's really a lot of traffic/noise, then perhaps the main deck option is better. My concern with being in row 4 is noise from the galley, but this doesn't seem to be an issue based on the above. There is also 79 available on UD, but that looks to be very close to the galley.

TIA for help.
Row 4 is plenty far away from the galley. The online map makes it look like it's right on the other side of the bulkhead. In fact it's long narrow running starting behind the lavs. While I go with UD on DL. (1-1 seating can't be beat) on KLM I go with lower deck. Less crowded and more spread apart.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I went with 1A when I had the choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.