Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Memorabilia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Nice collection. We have a lot of houses in the family but they also used give away blue tiles. Like to be used as a coaster. My parents must have them somewhere. I will have a look for them. Those where I think given in the 80's. We flew a lot up and down from Hong Kong to Amsterdam (partly??) then and I remember as kid getting them.

I must also somewhere have 'KLM wings' which you got to clip on your shirt. Will have a look.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
I must also somewhere have 'KLM wings' which you got to clip on your shirt. Will have a look.
Funny... now you say so I think I recall those. Didn't those come in gold and silver, for junior "pilots" and "stewardesses"?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I must also somewhere have 'KLM wings' which you got to clip on your shirt.
Originally Posted by KL895
Funny... now you say so I think I recall those. Didn't those come in gold and silver, for junior "pilots" and "stewardesses"?
The wings came with the Junior Skipper (boys) and KLM Kite (girls) certificates (see post #16 ). I still have mine, over 56 years later!
Attached Images  
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We have a lot of houses in the family but they also used give away blue tiles.
Those were given to Royal Class pax on longhaul flights, Business Class got the houses.

They used to have all sorts of gifts in Royal Class. On shorthaul flights the purser would come around with a tray, you could pick whatever took your fancy. Once, to the purser's amazement, I picked the largest luxury cigar he had. I was eight years old, and flying unaccompanied, so I explained that I would present the cigar to my grandfather (who didn't smoke!).

One of the Royal Class gifts on longhaul flights was a small suitcase. Yeah, this one looks a bit disheveled, but it has spent the past 30+ years in the workshop as a sandpaper repository. I figure it has held up pretty well. I may have better looking ones in the attic. I'll have a look around next time I'm up there.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Those were given to Royal Class pax on longhaul flights, Business Class got the houses.
I seem to recollect the opposite (having never gotten to fly Royal Class), but I do remember the tiles rather than the houses back in the 80's.

Or maybe I just got upgrades without ever realizing it ....

But a little Googling tells me it was business class:

http://www.klmdelftblue.com/KLM_Hous...ollection.html

GenevaFlyer
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The wings came with the Junior Skipper (boys) and KLM Kite (girls) certificates (see post #16 ). I still have mine, over 56 years later!
As mine could not be older than some 30 years (rather than 56...) and I recall them as being made of quite cheap plastic (yours look metal?), I think that either my memory must be wrong or they also made a cheaper version later on.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KL895
yours look metal?
Yep, and sturdy too. Nothing cheap or flimsy about it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if later versions were and looked cheap.

Johan
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
I seem to recollect the opposite (having never gotten to fly Royal Class), but I do remember the tiles rather than the houses back in the 80's.
Before the invention of Business Class, KL had tourist class and Royal Class only. The latter also on shorthaul until the mid 70s, if I remember correctly.

Back in those days RC pax got houses, plus various other gifts (e.g. those little suitcases). I suspect that you are right: with the introduction of Business Class the tiles arrived on the scene, whilst RC pax continued to get houses.

The whole family flew always flew RC, unless it was sold out. I grew up in a house full of houses, so to speak. My parents would always give away a handful to any guests who showed an interest, there were plenty to spare anyway. Yet I cannot recall any of those tiles. I certainly don't have any.

Johan
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amazingly, when IFE made its appearance with the introduction of the 742 in the early 70s, even Royal Class pax had to pay for a headset, which consisted of two plastic tubes with earbuds. My parents were stingy enough to make my sister and I share one! (2.50 in 1971 dollars is about $17.-- in today's)
Attached Images  

Last edited by johan rebel; Sep 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:54 pm

Amazingly, when IFE made its appearance with the introduction of the 742 in the early 70s, even Royal Class pax had to pay for a headset, which consisted of two plastic tubes with earbuds. My parents were stingy enough to make my sister and I share one! (2.50 in 1971 dollars is about $17.-- in today's)
I think that was an IATA rule back in the day. Does anyone know why IATA would have cared if an airline gave away free headphones? Somewhere, I have an ancient inflight brochure and the airline apologizes for having to charge for headphones and then blames IATA for making them charge.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
I think that was an IATA rule back in the day.
It was.

IATA had plenty of crazy rules. These included restrictions on the value of giveaways, which KLM circumvented by serving jenever in the now famous huisjes.

Johan
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

PH-DNV DC-9-32 City of Warsaw/Warschau/Warszawa

Ceremony with festivities and a joy flight.
Attached Images        
bodory, tubesoxs, Carel1 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Boarding Card showing the old AMS concourse/gate layout.
Attached Images  
Carel1 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Boarding Card showing the old AMS concourse/gate layout.
What do those ancient piers correspond to in today's spaghetti of piers? I assume the B pier is current D pier?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
What do those ancient piers correspond to in today's spaghetti of piers? I assume the B pier is current D pier?
Probably.

I have books on Schiphol's history somewhere, will check.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.