Search

Hand baggage allowances on Euro short haul

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Hand baggage allowances on Euro short haul

Hi all

i am flying ABZ-AMS-ZRH with KLM in a few weeks, to have a ski weekend with my bro. I am looking to go hand-baggage only, and wondered if I could take a small wheelie bag and a pair of ski boots in a bag? Or would I be needing to check a bag? I haven't flown KLM before so am not very familiar with what is sacceptable and what's not.

Apologies if there is something I should have found by searching but I'm on my phone (no working internet at home)!

Thanks all

EB
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:31 am

That information is easily available on KLM website, also on a mobile phone (actually I think it probably works better on mobile than FT)
https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/pre...ance/index.htm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:20 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
One small trolley-style bag and one accessory, like camera or laptop bag. I suspect that what you are describing will not be allowed.

That doesn't mean you wont get away with it, especially if you have status and are able to use Skypriority, but I would not be surprised if they would ask you to check one of the two.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks Xandrios, good to know.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
You'll probably be OK. I've done this with a motorcycle helmet and it was fine.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by caliform
You'll probably be OK. I've done this with a motorcycle helmet and it was fine.
A pair of ski boots takes significantly more space than a helmet! I join others who suggest it will likely be refused.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:56 am

Put the ski boots on your feet
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Poster

OK, will re-think my packing strategy! Thanks for the constructive replies.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:22 pm

Just flew AMS-WAW last week, in the SP line (Delta DM) and was accosted by the KLM GA who said "This flight is very full, and you are flying in economy, so you need to gate check your bag." I had with me a briefcase and my Briggs & Riley commuter rollerboard which is 19". A/C was an E190, which easily accommodates my bag (it fits in a CRJ700 which has tiny bins). I pointed out that I was within the hand baggage policy, blah blah... no use. Once seated in 4D, I of course saw MANY people schlepping 2-3 bags on board behind me. Moral of the story, make sure if you get challenged that you know the policy and understand the difference between a request and a demand. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.