Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Connection time in AMS

I'm working through a travel agency and I have limited flexibility in picking flights. I'm doing this as part of a river cruise with cheap airfare.

I have a schedule tentatively reserved for Sept 2017. It's flight DL 9550 (operated by KLM) arrive 1:35pm connecting to DL 127 at 2:45pm. That's only 1 hr 10 min connection. I was told that I would only have to go gate-to-gate and not terminal-to-terminal. I'll try to find info on Delta's website, but can anyone tell me how to figure out if this connection gives us enough time to make the next flight?

Thank you very much!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:55 pm

I don't think DL127 is the right flight number, either way AMS is just one big terminal, and walking from one side to the other can easily take 15-20 minutes in a normal pace.
Coming from the US you don't need to clear security, based on your final destination you might need to clear immigration, either way 1:10 should be plenty of time for that.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
I don't think DL127 is the right flight number, either way AMS is just one big terminal, and walking from one side to the other can easily take 15-20 minutes in a normal pace.
Coming from the US you don't need to clear security, based on your final destination you might need to clear immigration, either way 1:10 should be plenty of time for that.
Looks like BUD-AMS is KLM 1974. Sorry, mixed up flight numbers.

Is there a way to look up gate information for KLM flights to get an idea how far I'll need to walk? This isn't coming from the US. It's a segment on the way back though. Next flight is AMS-BOS.

When transiting, I'll stay in the departures area, isn't that correct?

I appreciate the reply!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:22 pm

Well, either way the same logic applies in that direction as well, you will have to pass immigration, and are looking at a reasonably long walk.

I was confused as DL127 today operated FLL-LGA, but it seems like in September it will indeed operate AMS-BOS, so being a DL metal flight you have to go through secondary security questioning in gates D01/E01, and only then you will be told your actual gate, with 1h10 you should be fine, just make sure to go straight to immigration and then to gate D01.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Looks like BUD-AMS is KLM 1974. Sorry, mixed up flight numbers.

Is there a way to look up gate information for KLM flights to get an idea how far I'll need to walk? This isn't coming from the US. It's a segment on the way back though. Next flight is AMS-BOS.
No, because AMS assigns gates as needed so you can't really be sure where you or your connecting flights are going to end up. AMS is large but not insurmountably so; you should be able to get from anywhere to anywhere in 20 minutes at most. Regardless, if you're on one PNR and miss the flight due to delay you will be accommodated on a different flight. KL is the world's most timely airline though so I wouldn't worry too much; their record is excellent.

When transiting, I'll stay in the departures area, isn't that correct?
Yes, but you'll need to clear immigration for Schengen. There is an immigration point between the two (Schengen and non-Schengen) departure areas; you don't need to exit and go through security again.

Last edited by CyBeR; Jan 11, 2017 at 4:43 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CyBeR
you should be able to get from anywhere to anywhere in 20 minutes at most.
That's just the walking. Passport control can add anywhere between 0 and god-knows-how-many minutes to that.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
That's just the walking. Passport control can add anywhere between 0 and god-knows-how-many minutes to that.

Excluding wait times for such things as immigration, indeed. I should've mentioned that.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well, either way the same logic applies in that direction as well, you will have to pass immigration, and are looking at a reasonably long walk.

I was confused as DL127 today operated FLL-LGA, but it seems like in September it will indeed operate AMS-BOS, so being a DL metal flight you have to go through secondary security questioning in gates D01/E01, and only then you will be told your actual gate, with 1h10 you should be fine, just make sure to go straight to immigration and then to gate D01.

The OP will have to clear passport control and do the airline security contractor's questions prior to departure. At that time of day, it takes me 1-25 minutes to clear passport control as a departing US citizen; and it's usually closer to 10-25 minutes when I'm there at that time of day.

I have looked online for my actual departure gate for my DL flights from AMS and do the ridiculous questions there. It has reduced the chances of me missing my flights compared to when doing the D1 type routine. The centralized questioning staff seem less concerned about having to deal with departure gate agents wanting to get out the flights on time.

50-70 minutes of transit at AMS is more than sufficient for me to do this. But if it actually turns out to be less than 45 minutes due to delayed gate arrival or otherwise getting off the plane, then rushing it may indeed be necessary. And having checked luggage can be your friend in some of these circumstances.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The OP will have to clear passport control and do the airline security contractor's questions prior to departure. At that time of day, it takes me 1-25 minutes to clear passport control as a departing US citizen; and it's usually closer to 10-25 minutes when I'm there at that time of day.

I have looked online for my actual departure gate for my DL flights from AMS and do the ridiculous questions there. It has reduced the chances of me missing my flights compared to when doing the D1 type routine. The centralized questioning staff seem less concerned about having to deal with departure gate agents wanting to get out the flights on time.

50-70 minutes of transit at AMS is more than sufficient for me to do this. But if it actually turns out to be less than 45 minutes due to delayed gate arrival or otherwise getting off the plane, then rushing it may indeed be necessary. And having checked luggage can be your friend in some of these circumstances.
So after my flight BUD-AMS, I need to go through passport control, then answer security questions at either gate D1 or E1? Then I will find out the gate for my flight? Seems like you disagree whether you can find the gate information online.

Where would I find the page for questions I need to answer? Is that on the AMS airport website somewhere? What type of questions do they ask?

Is AMS well signed, do they make it obvious where passport control is? As said, I don't want to go back through security.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:29 am

So after my flight BUD-AMS, I need to go through passport control, then answer security questions at either gate D1 or E1? Then I will find out the gate for my flight? Seems like you disagree whether you can find the gate information online.

Where would I find the page for questions I need to answer? Is that on the AMS airport website somewhere? What type of questions do they ask?

Is AMS well signed, do they make it obvious where passport control is? As said, I don't want to go back through security.
You might be able to find the gate information online shortly before the flight, but given that you will be coming from BUD, just take a look at the monitors, it is far more efficient

You will get some security questions, there is not a page with those questions and you don't need one, just answer their question honestly and you will be fine.

And yes, AMS is very well posted, once you get off your flight you can follow the signed to "D1-57/E/F" gates and you will get to transfer immigration.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Poster

You might be able to find the gate information online shortly before the flight, but given that you will be coming from BUD, just take a look at the monitors, it is far more efficient

You will get some security questions, there is not a page with those questions and you don't need one, just answer their question honestly and you will be fine.

And yes, AMS is very well posted, once you get off your flight you can follow the signed to "D1-57/E/F" gates and you will get to transfer immigration.
Thanks. Very helpful. I will look for the signs as you suggested. Maybe I'll check my bag. Can never seem to convince my partner to do that. We'll be on a 737 transferring to a Airbus A330, so maybe it's not necessary. But we're going to a CRJ 900 so we could end up gate checking our bag anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:34 am

Thanks. Very helpful. I will look for the signs as you suggested. Maybe I'll check my bag. Can never seem to convince my partner to do that. We'll be on a 737 transferring to a Airbus A330, so maybe it's not necessary. But we're going to a CRJ 900 so we could end up gate checking our bag anyway.
Checking your bags is probably wise, the less to go around with in a connection the better
If it doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, you might end up having to gate checkin it in BUD as well.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Checking your bags is probably wise, the less to go around with in a connection the better
If it doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, you might end up having to gate checkin it in BUD as well.
You think a 737 is too small for an average size bag? Like most people I have one super small bag that fits almost anywhere and a medium size bag that would fit on most planes, but could be technically over the size limit.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:10 am

You think a 737 is too small for an average size bag? Like most people I have one super small bag that fits almost anywhere and a medium size bag that would fit on most planes, but could be technically over the size limit.
The problem is not that it wouldn't, by itself, fit in the 737 overhead bins, the problem is that almost everyone have one of these and all of them together wouldn't fit.
I've never seen KL enforce the size limit (and I've seen way too many bags that were clearly oversized as they couldn't fit wheels in) , but if the flight is full they might have to gate check some of the bigger bags.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:26 am
Original Poster

The problem is not that it wouldn't, by itself, fit in the 737 overhead bins, the problem is that almost everyone have one of these and all of them together wouldn't fit.
I've never seen KL enforce the size limit (and I've seen way too many bags that were clearly oversized as they couldn't fit wheels in) , but if the flight is full they might have to gate check some of the bigger bags.
I see. It becomes a timing issue. Can I get my gate checked bag and make it to through passport control in time for my next flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.