Emergency Exit Seat - language criteria?

Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
There should have been at least one Dutch-speaking FA on board.
Flights are not filled with Dutch people you know
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Anne Smithson
and most Dutch passenger speak English, whereas most other passengers (German, Polish, Austrian, Swiss, Norwegian, French, Italian, Japanese, Mexican, etc.) don't speak Dutch.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
And I believe all KLM's safety procedures are performed in English as well ie the captain always says "Cabin Crew take your seats".. never heard them say anything like that in Dutch.

Given KLM's prime market is the transfer business - Isn't it something like 70% of their customers.....And Im sure that of the 30% of O&D passengers remaining the majority are probably not dutch.... it makes sense for English to be their main language onboard.

The KLM site (in english) says:

2.3 When you selected to sit in the seats adjacent to the aircraft emergency exits, you have to be able to understand the safety instructions and to be capable of assisting in an emergency situation and therefore have strength, dexterity, full mobility and do not take any medication that can affect these qualities as required by applicable safety laws and regulations.

So it appears in this case the passengers were unable to understand the safety instructions given by the crew and therefore we moved.

Last edited by ANstar; Nov 28, 2016 at 9:40 am
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Anne Smithson
lol the dutch are all off flying easyjet! My last LGW flight was probably 90% dutch pax.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by ANstar
lol the dutch are all off flying easyjet! My last LGW flight was probably 90% dutch pax.
Yep, EZY takes care of the Dutch point to point travellers, heading to the UK for shopping and KLM takes care of the British in the UK regions who prefer to avoid a transfer at LHR.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANstar
And I believe all KLM's safety procedures are performed in English as well ie the captain always says "Cabin Crew take your seats.
On the rare occasion that he says "cabin crew please take your seats", you know he is not Dutch.

Johan
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
On the rare occasion that he says "cabin crew please take your seats", you know he is not Dutch.

Johan
i miss the "have a nice landing" added
Oh well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.