Wiki Posts
Search

KLM now advertise airport check-in

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
KLM now advertise airport check-in

After years of investments into online check-in, KLM website now shows this message for ALL my reservations.
Go figure why they changed the message which previously said to check-in online 30 hours before the flight. This is completely stupid because for example the desks at Birmingham open 2 hours before the flight ...

I told them over twitter :
Originally Posted by KLM
Hello. At times due to security reasons few flights do not have the online check-in option and the check-in can be done only at the airport. Possibly your this flight has the check-in as airport. Please help us with the booking code for us to look and confirm this. We remain at your disposal.

Originally Posted by Mirk
I don’t think this is security related because all my bookings show that and it’s all safe airports which I already flew to. But if you want to look, XXXXXX shows it for example.

Originally Posted by KLM
The booking code your provided shows your flight departing on 21 December. Hence, the checking-in is not possible right now. If you have a different booking code with an earlier departure time, kindly send it as well.
After that, I started to turn red ...

You really don’t understand my point at all.
What I’m saying is that I have a small message saying that I can’t check-in online and that I will have to show up at the airport to do so 3hrs before the flight. WHILE usually it should say that the check-in will be available online 30hrs before departure.
As of today, I’m not impacted at all and I’m sure I should be able to check-in online 30hours before the flight.
BUT, you have something on your website which tells everyone to show up at the airport 3hrs before the flight to check-in (while some desk only open 2hrs before) AND it’s completely stupid knowing all the investment you did to get people to check-in online.
If you don’t want to listen any productive feedbacks up to you :/
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
After years of investments into online check-in, KLM website now shows this message for ALL my reservations.
Go figure why they changed the message which previously said to check-in online 30 hours before the flight. This is completely stupid because for example the desks at Birmingham open 2 hours before the flight ...

I told them over twitter :

After that, I started to turn red ...
Funny, I have seen this message too. It was for a OTA booked flight, Delta issued tickets and KL metal. The entire OLCI was utterly broken. It might have something to do with how it was ticketed?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I think you may have misinterpreted this statement.

It is not "advertising" airport check-in; neither does it say, or mean, that you cannot check-in online.

All my bookings, when checked on KLM.com, have this statement on every flight. I merely interpret it as meaning that passengers should turn up in good time for their flights. (There are increased security checks now at Schiphol so there have been frequent reminders from our corporate travel agent, and in the media, to turn up in good time/30 minutes earlier).

I do not interpret this as meaning that KLM are "switching off" OLCI for all flights [the statement appears on sectors for which they are not responsible or for which they neither operate nor handle check-in) and you will still receive an email after OLCI checkin opens.

Besides, the Dutch version states "you may/you can check in" so perhaps their translation may not be ideal.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 22, 2016 at 11:16 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:13 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It is a little weird to emphasise airport check in though. If I remember correctly it used to advertise online check in opening in X days. To indicate that airport checkin is available is kind of useless, and in this case, confusing.

The message shows up for all bookings by the way; even my AF bookings made on airfrance.com now show this message.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that it doesn't make much sense. BUT - I don't think it means that OLCI is *not* available. And I'm not sure that most people will notice or ever see this message. It doesn't show up on the e-ticket or emailed confirmation, and I am guessing that not everyone consults their bookings online.

I was able to check in just fine online 2 weekends ago with this notice on my booking.

But then again...I have seen the question posed here many, many times in the past: "how early can I check in at the airport?"/"what time do the check-in desks open"?

(Not to mention that the KLM check-in desks at AMS are open all day, and I don't know if they would turn you away as an Economy/Ivory passenger if you tried to check in earlier than 3 hours)

Maybe this was KLM's sloppy attempt to fend off any further such queries!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
It is a little weird to emphasise airport check in though. If I remember correctly it used to advertise online check in opening in X days. To indicate that airport checkin is available is kind of useless, and in this case, confusing..
I really don't see what is the problem here
They are not emphasizing or advertising airport check-in. They are just informing you that sometimes, OLCI might not be possible for your flight (or specifically for you) for security reasons (because they want to see your passport, your visa, or any other reason), and in this case you have to check-in at the airport. Or you have also the intermediate situation where you can do OLCI but the BP can only be issued at the airport check-in desk. So just an information given by this message...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that you can only select a seat for free on KLM now when check-in opens - I would recommend not waiting to get to the airport to check-in.

In fact, AMS-originating pax will be at a disadvantage, as all the connecting pax (70% of KL's passengers) will have "early access" to the flights, and early pick of the free seats.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:07 am
Original Poster

At first, I understood that OLCI was not available and I thought something was wrong for this particular booking. When I realised all the bookings had the same thing, I suspected the bug. But as I've now just made an OLCI on a booking which displayed this message I definitely think this is a stupid change.

I understand that OLCI can not be available for some airports or some security reasons but when you see the same thing for over 10 bookings for 5 different persons ...

3 hours before the flight can works for some airport where the desks are open all day but not in the smaller ones where they open 2 hours before and you can't know that before going to the airport.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:12 am

This is completely stupid because for example the desks at Birmingham open 2 hours before the flight
There are several self check-in kiosks at BHX (including a couple between the train station/NEC and the air-rail, just as you approach the escalator for the bus station) and, more than once (when travelling with luggage), I remember checking-in even ~3 hours before the flight, the last time being literally a week ago for the 1432 service to AMS. Same applies to other airlines - yesterday, for instance, I checked-in for SK2534 just after 7AM and noticed that both FRA & MUC (LH - with the latter departing at 11) were also open for check-in at the nearby desks in the downstairs area.

G
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:42 am

I tend to fly from Humberside........try turning up there 3 hours before the 06.10, the doors would be locked, with not even the cleaners in by that time !
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:47 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I really don't see what is the problem here
They are not emphasizing or advertising airport check-in. They are just informing you that sometimes, OLCI might not be possible for your flight (or specifically for you) for security reasons (because they want to see your passport, your visa, or any other reason), and in this case you have to check-in at the airport.
I don't think there is a problem, we are just theorizing here

What you describe would be logical and I have seen that in the past (though presented in a different form). However this message we talk about now is put up on the page as some sort of 'alert' which (at least to me, and the OP too) comes across as if this is a special case and only airport check in would be available. If it was just a line of text somewhere on the page I would agree with you 100%, but the way it is presented makes this line seem like the most important piece of information on the page. While it should be just an additional 'by the way, bla bla'. In my opinion at least
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
However this message we talk about now is put up on the page as some sort of 'alert' which (at least to me, and the OP too) comes across as if this is a special case and only airport check in would be available. If it was just a line of text somewhere on the page I would agree with you 100%, but the way it is presented makes this line seem like the most important piece of information on the page.
It's only displayed when you click on the "Trip Details" tab.

And it looks very different to how KLM show an "alert" which pops up as soon as you enter the booking details (see below).
Attached Images   
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

There used to be a counter till the opening of the OLCI but it disappeared and I guess it got replaced by this stupid message.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:19 pm

I noticed this too on my trip, however the app still says "checkin opens in 12 days" for my flight on 11 october.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: FB Silver - STE, BAEC Bronze - OW Ruby
OLCI works fine even with the "airport 3 hours" message, just type in your PNR on the OLCI page and voila

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.