Wiki Posts
Search

747-400 Upper or Lower Biz Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:32 pm
mlm
Original Poster

747-400 Upper or Lower Biz Class?

We're flying from LAX to AMS to CPT on KLM. 2 of our flights are on 747-400 aircraft. I chose row 1 K& J (lower) but considering switching to upper deck. If you've flown as a couple, do you have a preference upper or lower? Does row 1 have windows? Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: FB
If you have some larger carry-on I would take the lower one as there is more space in the overhead bins. Once I needed to give mine to the crew who placed it in the back.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mlm
We're flying from LAX to AMS to CPT on KLM. 2 of our flights are on 747-400 aircraft. I chose row 1 K& J (lower) but considering switching to upper deck. If you've flown as a couple, do you have a preference upper or lower? Does row 1 have windows? Thanks.
Why not book one trip lower and other upper? Best of both worlds
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Why not book one trip lower and other upper? Best of both worlds
This is a great idea.

Also, row 1 has the better part of 3 windows.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mandatory
If you have some larger carry-on I would take the lower one as there is more space in the overhead bins. Once I needed to give mine to the crew who placed it in the back.
Not really much of an issue, in my opinion.

Larger carry-ons are routinely placed in the wardrobe at the top of the stairs, where there's plenty of space. If I have two bags I just put the larger there myself when I board.

Johan
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:07 pm

Seats on the lower deck, as well as the general cabin feel a lot more spacious to me. Both feel very private (a lot more than main J on 777s for example). For the spacious feel though, I always try to get lower deck seats.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by rfrn
Seats on the lower deck, as well as the general cabin feel a lot more spacious to me. Both feel very private (a lot more than main J on 777s for example). For the spacious feel though, I always try to get lower deck seats.
+1^
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold
Can't speak towards the upper deck, but +1 on lower deck feeling really spacious. Row 1 is excellent. Wardrobe closet at front of cabin perfectly capable of holding anything that won't fit overhead.

Off topic slightly, but 1A is also great for solo travelers or groups with odd numbers (recently did LAX-AMS-DEL and back as family of 3 and took row 1 on all 4 747 flights).

As a couple, I'd definitely go with the suggestion to take lower deck one direction and upper deck the other direction.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I mostly choose upper deck for day flights. There might be some traffic from FA's to/from the pilots. During night flights I would choose lower deck for sure. Very quite and has more 'empty' space'.

Last time I did lower deck both ways. Row 1 is excellent, but I also like row 3 aisle seat. Lots of empty space next to you. Like this for the spacious feel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.