Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

KLM loses case on "mechanical failure" excuse for non-payment of EU261/2004 claims

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM loses case on "mechanical failure" excuse for non-payment of EU261/2004 claims

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

KLM yesterday lost a case at the ECJ which will have airlines all over Europe facing payment on claims that they had habitually rejected.

Ms van der Lans had an air ticket reservation on a flight operated by KLM from Quito (Ecuador) to Amsterdam (Netherlands). The aircraft arrived in Amsterdam with a delay of 29 hours. According to KLM, the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances, specifically, a combination of defects: two components were defective, the fuel pump and a hydromechanical unit. These components were unavailable andhad to be transported by air from Amsterdam in order to be installed in the aircraft concerned. KLM also observed that the defective components had not exceeded their average lifetime and that their manufacturer had not provided any specific indications as to which defects might arise if those components reached a certain age.

Ms van der Lans brought an action before the Rechtbank Amsterdam (District Court, Amsterdam) which decided to refer questions to the Court of Justice for a preliminary ruling. Essentially it wishes to know whether a technical problem which occurred unexpectedly, which is not attributable to defective maintenance and which was not detected during regular tests, falls within the definition of ‘extraordinary circumstances’, thereby exempting the carrier from his obligation to pay compensation.

<snip>

However, since the functioning of aircraft inevitably gives rise to technical problems, air carriers are confronted as a matter of course in the exercise of their activity with such problems. In that connection, technical problems which come to light during maintenance of aircraft or on account of failure to carry out such maintenance cannot constitute, in themselves, ‘extraordinary circumstances’.

<snip>

Therefore, in the course of the activities of an air carrier, that unexpected event is inherent in the normal exercise of an air carrier’s activity, as air carriers are confronted as a matter of course with unexpected technical problems. Furthermore, the prevention of such a breakdown or the repairs occasioned by it, including the replacement of a prematurely defective component, is not beyond the actual control of that carrier, since the latter is required to ensure the maintenance and proper functioning of the aircraft it operates for the purposes of its business.

Therefore, a technical problem cannot fall within the definition of ‘extraordinary circumstances’.
The full judgement can be read here.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
I have a similar case pending for more than 2 years now! It has reached Danish supreme court.

I was just in touch with the firm running he case for me. They are hoping that this ruling will finally put an end to KLMs messing around.

Needless to say I stopped flying KL a long time ago as a mean of protest. Childish? Yes, but I don't care, and as a consumer I do have a choice.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
KLM yesterday lost a case at the ECJ which will have airlines all over Europe facing payment on claims that they had habitually rejected.
ahem...
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You might want to update the hundreds of other EU261/2004 related threads as well, then....
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I am conscious that olivedel is going to be deeply chagrined by having yet another Reg 261/2004 thread providing yet more information to monstrously greedy passengers that treat long-suffering airlines like AF or KLM like "cash machines" and since the discussion in the other thread was precisely on this issue and since we had already started there referring to this case quite some time ago ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.