Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can you tell if a KLM flight is overbooked?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
How can you tell if a KLM flight is overbooked?

Hi,

We are a group of 5 traveling TLV-AMS with KLM, we have fully flexible business class tickets and want to change our flight to the 14/5, according to KLM.com 5 seats are available on KL462 on 14/5.
Is there a way to tell if a flight is overbooked? we must travel on that date/flight and are afraid of being denied boarding due to overbooking. KLM's call centre were useless and unable to answer.
I guess my question is if KLM sells 5 tickets, does it mean there are actually five seats free or some of the seats are actually overbooked?

btw, KLM keeps a fixed configuration of 6 J class rows on the TLV route regardless of demand.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
There's no way to know for sure, but 5 seats booked together in C on such a route is quite "a lot" so I would tend to think that it's not (yet) overbooked. Also, another factor to consider : I suppose KL uses a 737 with an adjustable C-class cabin size, so they can adjust the C cabin size accordingly. And in case of overbooking, Y pax will be off-loaded before C pax.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak
There's no way to know for sure, but 5 seats booked together in C on such a route is quite "a lot" so I would tend to think that it's not (yet) overbooked. Also, another factor to consider : I suppose KL uses a 737 with an adjustable C-class cabin size, so they can adjust the C cabin size accordingly. And in case of overbooking, Y pax will be off-loaded before C pax.
Not true for the TLV route, it's operated with the regular adjustable 737-900 but as I mentioned in my original message, the TLV route is always operated with a 6 row J class configuration, I have no idea why or if they ever make an exception - that's just my experience (and I fly often on that route with KL). usually the J cabin is half empty on KL flights from/to TLV but on the 14/5 it's gonna be completely full.
I wonder if KL will be able to rebook us on the AF flight leaving 2 hours before in case of overbooking.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
I wonder if KL will be able to rebook us on the AF flight leaving 2 hours before in case of overbooking.
For sure, they can do this when needed. But just relax and take the flight you want. Don't forget that the flight you originally booked can be also overbooked and so being bumped can happen anytime. As you said there is a fixed C cabin size on TLV (sorry, I missed that in your 1st thread), worst case scenario for your party is that one or a few of you will be downgraded to Y.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
You could get an indication by looking at the load levels through the fare codes. Someone with an Expert Flyer account could do this for you.

If all codes are 0 then you are very likely to have an overbooking situation. However revenue management are paid to get as close to full capacity as possible and normally there will not be an issue. I would guess on an expensive fully flex ticket your party would not be the first to be bumped.

If that date works for you I would switch and check in at T-30. If they are prepared to sell 5 tickets on a route I would guess that there is still good availability. I would know what re-route I would want if the worse scenario did happen.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
You could get an indication by looking at the load levels through the fare codes. Someone with an Expert Flyer account could do this for you.

If all codes are 0 then you are very likely to have an overbooking situation. However revenue management are paid to get as close to full capacity as possible and normally there will not be an issue. I would guess on an expensive fully flex ticket your party would not be the first to be bumped.

If that date works for you I would switch and check in at T-30. If they are prepared to sell 5 tickets on a route I would guess that there is still good availability. I would know what re-route I would want if the worse scenario did happen.
Thanks for your comment DaveNCL, I agree about our chances of a downgrade or IDB, we will probably be last to offload - since most of us have elite status, traveling on a corporate account with full fare J tickets.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Flight KL 462 on may 14th is available for booking both in C and economy class for the moment Economy is definitely not overbooked.. However still 2 weeks before actual flight.
Flights are being screened between 72h-4h before departure so still quite some options for KLM to make adjustments.
C class booking though seems rather full. Sure KLM will be happy with that.
In general 737-900 operates with max of 20-22 C class seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.