Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sufficient connection time at IAH to AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

I am flying PHX-IAH-AMS-SVO.

I already purchased the IAH-AMS-SVO flights on KLM on one itinerary. I now need to buy a PHX-IAH ticket to position myself at IAH for the international segments.

I would prefer to fly US Airways because of my status on that airline. The connection time would be 2 hours 1 minute. Is that enough time to connect at IAH? I would need to claim bags and re-check them. (US Airways will not interline across two itineraries.)

If I miss the connection due to a late arrival from different airline on a separate itinerary, what would KLM do? Would it re-accomodate me the next day without charge? Any chance of rerouting on Air France through CDG?

Alternative option is to take a United flight much earlier in the morning, pay for bags, etc.

So, my questions:
1. Is 2 hours enough time?
2. If I miss the flight, what will my options be?

Thank you!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold

1) I don't know IAH but 2 hours may be tight, especially when you keep in mind that:
2) Your only option is to buy a new (and very likely very expensive walk-up) ticket. As you said these are two seperate tickets, and on top of that with completely different carriers. Chances for goodwill from KL are (very very) slim.

I'd look for an earlier PHX-IAH flight if I were you, this plan would be too risky I think.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Two hours is well within the MCT, but you are not connecting at IAH and you are on separate tickets. This means waiting for your luggage at US, schlepping it to KL, checking in, reclearing security and so forth.

If you no show for your KL flight, KL will cancel your entire onward ticket out to SVO and return if there is one. Depending on the fare rules for your ticket, there may or may not be value left on the ticket and you may or may not be able to use that value towards a new ticket.

Alternatively, a kindly disposed agent might rebook you at no fee. But, you need to be prepared to purchase an entire new ticket out to SVO and onward/return and that ticket will be at walk-up prices which can be off-the-charts.

There is not totally safe allowance in this situation because the risk is significant. Thus, I would tend to allow an overnight at IAH given the downsides.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
There is not totally safe allowance in this situation because the risk is significant. Thus, I would tend to allow an overnight at IAH given the downsides.
+1
Don't even think about trying to make that connection. Leave PHX the night before and overnight in Houston.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. United has a flight that arrives 6 hours before the IAH-AMS flight. That should be enough time, right?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Needless to say, the more time you allow, the risk of missing your xIAH drops. Only you can determine your risk tolerance. It is not the time on the ground at IAH, but what happens if you no show, which matters. If there is a flight 30 minutes later with space and KL will rebook you onto it, don't worry. If there is no availability for 3 days and you must buy a new ticket, not so good.

I still suggest overnighting at IAH given the onward itinerary.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
The connection time would be 2 hours 1 minute. Is that enough time to connect at IAH?
Outbound, that certainly is more than enough time to connect. You wouldn't need to clear customs, after all.

Your problem is not the time required at IAH. The problem is the punctuality of US Airways. What are you going to do if they're two hours delayed?

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. United has a flight that arrives 6 hours before the IAH-AMS flight. That should be enough time, right?
In theory, yes.

You can use the BTS statistics to determine what recent delays have been like:
http://apps.bts.gov/xml/ontimesummar...maryFlightData
Then again: past results don't guarantee what happens in the future

In the end, you're always taking a risk of delay or cancellation of the flight to IAH. Is it boring to spend long hours at an airport? Yes, but that's why alcohol sales are usually quite brisk there.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
2 hours would be enough time but any delay and you risk it all. From terminal A you would need to transfer to terminal D. I think the train connects those two. Both A and D are small and don't require much walking.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Remember that luggage drop off for international closes one hour before your flight and also requires you to go landside and back through security. I would pick a flight where you can interline with KLM or travel carry-on only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.