Wiki Posts
Search

Best seat in WBC on 747-400

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Best seat in WBC on 747-400

Hi,

I'm flying YYZ-AMS on this plane in mid-January.

For both legs, I booked seat 1a. Figured it was best because you're sitting alone, no one to walk over when going to the bathroom.

Having never flown this plane, or in the new KLM business class (did old version a few years ago) I was just wondering if this seat is the best. There may be some other considerations.

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:47 pm

Actually there are no real bad seats on the 747 in WBC.
Seat 1A is excellent and very quiet. However, it is also at the least wide part of the aircraft.
For a real spacious and private feeling, seat 4A can be recommended. It is also alone - but you are much farther away from other passengers than in any other seat on the plane. The bathrooms are to the right of the cabin and so is the galley. So, the curtain next to seat 4A is rarely used, if at all, during the flight.

Maybe try 1A outbound and 4A inbound, so you can judge for yourself.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

thanks djenroute.

looks like 4A is still available on the inbound. i'll make the switch and report back on which I prefer.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
Any recomendations for WBC seats on the 747 combi for a couple?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by tpatta
Any recomendations for WBC seats on the 747 combi for a couple?
For a spacious feel. Row 3 on the lower deck. For a very quiet private feel. Row 1. For the upperdeck "private jet feel" any row on the upperdeck.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
Originally Posted by Zembla
For a spacious feel. Row 3 on the lower deck. For a very quiet private feel. Row 1. For the upperdeck "private jet feel" any row on the upperdeck.
Thanks Zembla.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
thanks djenroute.

looks like 4A is still available on the inbound. i'll make the switch and report back on which I prefer.
I strongly recommend that you verify continuously when booking 4 A. I recently lost my seat despite have confirmed 4X and checking regularly.
No explanation was given. I usually fly EVA, AC, or CX on my asia long hauls and wanted to build some skymiles up. The new seats were nothing special and certainly aren't as private or comfortable as the EVA or CX pods, or even the old AC pods. (The professional FAs, nice lounge and wonderful AMS airport did compensate though.)
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
Well, for me the upper deck does not give any private jet feel. Having just flown the new WBC (quite a disappointment to be honest, but that's for another thread), but I agree that 1A but also 4A are very private.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips.

In the end I got 1A for the outbound and 4a for the inbound.

Either seat is quite nice and quite private. If I had to pick between the two, I'd go 4a because you get a bit more room between your seat and the fuselage. Can stuff some extra carry on items there.

Other than that, my remarks:
1) Food was soooo much better leaving AMS than YYZ. The former was tasty, the latter was inedible
2) Service was very good during the flights. I preferred the crew on the inbound (friendlier). However, I must say that ground service got a poor mark. Our flight was delayed 4 hours on the tarmac in YYZ. There wasn't much of an effort to help ease the pain of missed connections or make my life easier in general.
3) They really need to sort out their boarding process. It was very chaotic in AMS.
4) As far as the hard product, I thought it was excellent. Roomy seat, great for lounging. I have only flown AC in TPAC J (the "pods"). I much preferred this seat. Though if I was sitting next to someone I might sing a different tune.

I'll write a dedicated trip report, but thought I'd start with that. Overall I really enjoyed my KLM flights (not the delays, though). Thought it was excellent, better than AC. Would definitely fly them again if some well priced premium fares pop up. Have to build my Delft House village somehow!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Thanks for all the tips.

In the end I got 1A for the outbound and 4a for the inbound.

Either seat is quite nice and quite private. If I had to pick between the two, I'd go 4a because you get a bit more room between your seat and the fuselage. Can stuff some extra carry on items there.
Did you like the screen resolution?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our flight was delayed 4 hours on the tarmac in YYZ. There wasn't much of an effort to help ease the pain of missed connections or make my life easier in general.
I should hope that they at least served beverages with nuts/snacks while waiting for take-off.

Johan
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:41 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by ajs123
Well, for me the upper deck does not give any private jet feel.
Hence the "" in my post.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The screens in the new WBC on the 747 are truly appalling! I had my first experience of the new WBC last week (and 4A is a great seat for a solo traveller) and I really was shocked at how small the screens are, and how grainy the image is.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Sure, it was fine for me. Not HD quality, but better than what I get on AC.

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I should hope that they at least served beverages with nuts/snacks while waiting for take-off.

Johan
Yes. Several beverages. Nuts and cheese.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The screens in the new WBC on the 747 are truly appalling! I had my first experience of the new WBC last week (and 4A is a great seat for a solo traveller) and I really was shocked at how small the screens are, and how grainy the image is.
Really? What are you comparing to? I've done J on AC, CX, BR, ANA and OZ. Maybe my memory is failing me, but KLM didn't stand out as particularly bad. I thought the screen size was pretty good (compared to AC) and resolution was fine.

My main complaint about the TV situation is that the selection of movies and TV shows was pretty light. Especially TV.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:47 am

Really? What are you comparing to? I've done J on AC, CX, BR, ANA and OZ. Maybe my memory is failing me, but KLM didn't stand out as particularly bad. I thought the screen size was pretty good (compared to AC) and resolution was fine.

My main complaint about the TV situation is that the selection of movies and TV shows was pretty light. Especially TV.
Indeed. Whilst I would agree that the screen on their slippery slope seat is appalling, and the screen on their NEV4 seat is mediocre, I think that the new WBC screens are actually quite decent compared to many other J screens out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.