Farewell MD-11

Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Farewell MD-11

For those interested, there is a new book available for pre-order, dedicated to the MD-11. Dutch only and it will most likely be available in October.

I will also use this thread for further updates regarding the last flight and other events.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I am fairly sure I had my last MD-11 ride in March this year on AMS-SFO, but it would be great if KLM did some sort of farewell flight for the MD-11 like Monarch did for the A300 and Biman did for the DC-10.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
"Please note that the book is Dutch written."

From the cover, one would assume that it was English written!!!

Item price: €25,11

http://www.md-11.nl/product/farewell-md-11/

(PS: Adiós, amigo!)

Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
In the coming days I'll decide if I'll be on the last YUL-AMS in October. BTW, it seems that J is already sold out on that flight.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zembla
In the coming days I'll decide if I'll be on the last YUL-AMS in October. BTW, it seems that J is already sold out on that flight.
There is at least one seat available in business class for the last YUL-AMS flight...

Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Thanks, irishguy28! You inspired me to book the ticket - I just virtually cleared out my FB balance getting the GLA-AMS-CDG-YUL-AMS-GLA J award (255,000 miles + €648). But I'm now on that flight - whether or not it happens to actually be the last MD-11 for KLM. (Outbound AMS-YUL were more expensive in miles, as only Flex awards were on offer: 135,000 versus 92,500 for the Classic.)

The process of booking was quite traumatic: after selecting the flights, and confirming my 'regulatory information', I was offered the seat selection process: all worked well (and still plenty of choice in J for KL672) until tried clicking the "Continue" button. Nothing! Frozen. So I went back and started again, skipping the seat selection process; at this stage, I was offered the "payment details" ... using the C/C I have logged in my account, my first name mysteriously disappeared, but the box where it should be was read-only. (And the next page told me I have to have a first name!).

Tried again with Firefox rather than IE: same problem. So, eventually, I chose to use a different C/C - but types in the same details as are logged in my A/C ... and now I have the ticket!

All that remains is for me to (hopefully) go back to my account and select some decent seats.

-- Happy Henry

Oh, and thanks also to KLflyerRalph for bringing this thread up! ^
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're welcome....I would have nabbed it myself, but not at *that* price.

(Particularly when YUL can be had as a Promo Award in Sep/Oct! I don't value being on the last MD-11 passenger flight *that* highly! [You can fly back the next day for just 31,250 miles in J)

I recently spent a similar amount of miles on a one-way ticket to Sydney, and also fell foul at the seat selection step. I thought it was to do with the fact that the second flight was on Garuda - even going back to the booking on KLM.com no seats can be selected on that sector.

PS: That wasn't the last award seat, there is still availability this morning.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 3, 2014 at 2:16 am
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Henry III
The process of booking was quite traumatic
Almost sounds like an understatement. I tought OLCI was a real ordeal, so it is good to know that booking an award flight is even more of a nightmare. Changes one's perspective.

Johan
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You're welcome....I would have nabbed it myself, but not at *that* price.

(Particularly when YUL can be had as a Promo Award in Sep/Oct! I don't value being on the last MD-11 passenger flight *that* highly! [You can fly back the next day for just 31,250 miles in J)
Agreed. The pain can be eased by taking the promo award fare on AF on the way out (It's wide open). But the return fare is steep. As much as I love the MD11 this is causing severe hesitation for me, and with a tight and important professional schedule before and after the last MD11 flight Y is not an option for me.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I already have plans for that weekend anyway. Otherwise I may have done it in Y - and begged Henry III for lounge admittance in YUL!!!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for info about the last scheduled M11 flight. Unless the aforementioned YUL-AMS is it.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I already have plans for that weekend anyway. Otherwise I may have done it in Y - and begged Henry III for lounge admittance in YUL!!!
Although We do entertain petitions at the Imperial Court, one finds 'begging' so terribly tawdry and rather passé!

-- H3
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Henry III
terribly tawdry and rather passé!
Rather like the YUL lounge!!!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:01 am

I noticed there's a mention of the MD-11 decommissioning in the July Holland Herald - not really enough to be called an 'article', though.

-- Henry
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:03 am

... But I probably won't have enough miles to get a J Award on the first KLM flight of the B-787!

-- H

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.