Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thumbs up to KLM Call Centre

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thumbs up to KLM Call Centre

I thought to report this perhaps insignificant but still worth sharing experience I had with KLM call centre last Saturday. Right: I woke up (perhaps not entirely and you'll soon understand why ), got my self a brew and booked a flight (my dates were Tuesday 18th returning on Sunday 23rd of February); all done and I even didn't bother to look at the confirmation (I no longer get excited by such things ), however later in the day I opened the travel application on my BlackBerry and noticed a rather bizarre "Missing Accommodation - 38 nights" Needless to say, I realised that I had booked my return flight for the wrong month (March 23rd)... Anyway, I rang the number on the back of my card and an operator responded straight away: I explained what happened and also told her that I was aware about penalties for changing dates and that cancellation wasn't allowed; well, the lovely lady with an even more lovely Dutch accent proposed to cancel the booking entirely at no extra fees so that I could book again - this time for the right dates What a nice gesture I thought! ^

G
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
It is nice when you get such good, old-fashioned service like that! ^

I made a similar mistake a couple of years ago - booking a weekend round trip with the return date set for a year later! Once I noticed, I immediately called the service centre and explained the error: the operator told me that, as the CC payment had not yet gone through, I could cancel for free so long as I booked the replacement, correct itinerary (which I then did); as soon as the new trip showed on MMB, the old, erroneous one magically vanished.

All's well that ends well.

-- Henry
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
KLM still offer free refunds for bookings made via KLM channels within 24 hours of ticketing.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I've had them cancel and refund without penalty when I somewhow managed to book the same trip twice for the exact same dates - and not within 24 hours of either booking. Neither trip was changeable or cancellable.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
...I somehow managed to book the same trip twice for the exact same dates...
Presumably, you did so: to be sure, to be sure!

-- H
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh Henry!

That wasn't even funny the first time.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by mfkne
KLM still offer free refunds for bookings made via KLM channels within 24 hours of ticketing.
is there somewhere an official statement of that policy?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For our US colleagues, there is:
http://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prep...t/index.htm#p4

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...some-help.html

I don't think it applies in Europe.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I have found the KLM call center excellent and they really do seem to know what they are talking about and are happy to help as best they can...in my experience.

I know what you mean, AlicorporateUK, I receive so many confirmations that it is very tempting just to leave it until later before opening it and going through the details. But because I am very good at making stupid mistakes, I have trained and forced myself to go through the confirmations as soon as they come in. I have found with cheaper point-to-point promotional fares (such as AMS-GVA round trip) that my credit card tends to get charged immediately and a ticket number is issued on the spot. So, while the 24h cancellation policy certainly works (needed to use it quite a few times), the refund process can take a while. But it does work without problems.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I don't think it applies in Europe.
It does in NL: http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/plan...ight/index.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLM
Als u uw ticket bij KLM in Nederland heeft geboekt, krijgt u altijd volledige teruggave van uw ticketkosten (inclusief de kosten van extra opties) als u uw boeking annuleert door binnen 24 uur na boeken teruggave aan te vragen – geen annuleringskosten.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is a free cancellation allowed within 24 hours of booking in...

AT - no
BE - no
CH - no
DE - no
DK - no
ES - no
FR - no
FI - no
GR - no
IE - no
IT - no
LU - no
NL - yes
NO - no
PL - no
PT - no
SE - no
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:24 am

Which raises the question: What does "in NL" mean? A resident of the Netherlands booking a flight from anywhere to somewhere else? A resident of any country booking a flight originating in AMS to somewhere else? A resident of any country booking a flight from anywhere to somewhere else via klm.com after selecting the Netherlands as the country of departure (so as to get the Dutch website)?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it means any ticket bought on www.klm.com where the first sector departs from AMS.

The website now always (I think) re-directs you to the country of first departure, so regardless of which website country you initially select, the ticket will always be issued in the country from which the first sector departs.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:57 am

It doesn't redirect you (anymore) - it merely says the currency was changed to the local currency of the departure country.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume that's a side-effect of changing the country in which the ticket is issued, on the basis of a mismatch between the website country, and the country of departure.

After all, there's no need to "change" the currency from Euros (Germany) to Euros (Netherlands) for instance - so there does seem to be more than a simple currency change occurring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.