Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:16 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Went to check my 8 segments in December and could chose seats in all three categories.

As FBG pax I was given the delightful opportunity to pay CHF 12,50 for the emergency exits or CHF 10 for EC. Two people being gold this would have cost an extra CHF 160 for all our segments in December OR almost the same as a 4 segment trip for one person (costs around CHF 256 for the right flights ex GVA to CPH, HEL, ARN etc)

I have said it before, and I'm saying it again. NO, I'm not EVER going to pay for something I used to get for free because of my status as a FF with AF/KL Now being FBG is not all of a sudden that interesting with KLM...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
On all my Embraer 190 flights I have booked in Dec and Jan, I can only start to pick at row 10 (free). Then I can pay for the Emergency Exit (11), or start to choose again for free starting from row 15 (so 12 & 14 are blocked out like 1-9).

Also, the last two rows are also blocked out.

Both logged in and not logged in.

Also tried a new booking, and it was the same.

Useless so far.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It would seem that the Embraers don't have "Economy Comfort" - only these extra-legroom seats
Same for the F70. Perhaps it is a Cityhopper thing? Or is the seat pitch the same throughout the entire cabin on these two aircraft types, so that there is no basis for designating certain rows EC?

Johan
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Same for the F70. Perhaps it is a Cityhopper thing? Or is the seat pitch the same throughout the entire cabin on these two aircraft types, so that there is no basis for designating certain rows EC?
I think that is the reason. According to the KLM website the seat pitch of the Fokker 70 is 31 inch everywhere, and for the Embraer it is 32 inch in the front and 31 inch in the back.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
ppffff €22,50 for a seat in row 6-10 from AMS to BCN no way!!! (silver)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
More information is to be announced soon, but Economy Comfort is only applicable on B737 aircraft, i.e. not Fokkers and E190.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
More information is to be announced soon, but Economy Comfort is only applicable on B737 aircraft, i.e. not Fokkers and E190.
All the more reason to allow PEs to select any seat. Being restricted to one single row is completely nuts.

Johan
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
What I don't understand is that most 737's had the ability to do C until row 10. Now EC is offered until row 9, but isn't row 10 also still with a few inches more legroom? If you check the seat maps, it shows until 10! (unless 737-700).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Maybe they keep that as compensation for the extra recline in row 9?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:50 am

Programs: FB plat for life
Was in row 9 on a 737-800 yesterday and that had the smallest pitch ever seen - I did not measure but it was definitely less than the E190 or the rows 5 -8 or so on most 737's. Full flight - no way to accomodate a bit more hand luggage so lots of annoyed people.

In the exit rows middle seats free and not seasoned KLM passengers enjoying the extra legroom that I was not able to select as PE.

Not sure what they are doing but definitely not making us feel recognized as loyal customers.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjhartog
definitely not making us feel recognized as loyal customers.
Can't recall when that last happened on board in any way or form whatsoever.

On a recent flight I saw the purser venture behind the curtain for the first time in many years to greet passengers. He probably only managed to find the time because he had exactly zero pax to serve in EB, and he only singled out corporate flyers.

When they needed to fill an completely empty EER last week they certainly didn't offer me a seat, even though I'm LTPE and was seated in the first row of Y. Not that I would have accepted, but that's beside the point.

Johan
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:05 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Asr still does not werk in half of my reservations it seems. Even worse on the ones that it does work:

The row before the exit row (basically an exit row but without any recline) has become paid too. This used to be free, and I imagined this to be the last free seat with proper legroom. Seems not.

Also all isle rows behind EC have been blocked up to row 20. I do not believe these are actually taken, as they are the only seats used and even EC is totally empty.

On a related note, I just had my first flight with Lufthansa. Not quite what I expected, but at least I got extra legroom seats for free, and sat at the front of the plane..

Still I have about 8 flights scheduled with KLM. Not quite sure what to do. This EC change is very disappointing though. Booking cheaper LH flights, with better seating, service and food is tempting.

Last edited by Xandrios; Oct 20, 2012 at 5:21 am
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:11 pm

Update!

First thread updated as well. Please see the amended price list.

It is € 20 (flights < 2 hours), € 30 (flights > 2 hours).

• 100% discount for PE members (& Delta SM DM/PM);
  • 50% discount for FB/DL GE members and ST Elite Plus;
  • 25% discount for FB/DL SE members.

Though the pdf does not state that the discount also applies to non-FB Elite members I have been informed that the discount also applies to these members.

Only question remains if passengers on full-fare tickets also benefit from free EC (as they do on long-haul flights).

Furthermore, interesting to see the huge(!) difference in paying with miles for an Emergency Exit Seat and an Economy Comfort Seat!

Gajan

Last edited by Gajan; Oct 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm Reason: Correction
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gajan
First thread updated as well. Please see the amended price list.

It is € 20 (flights < 2 hours), € 30 (flights > 3 hours).

• 100% discount for PE members (& Delta SM DM/PM);
  • 50% discount for FB/DL GE members and ST Elite Plus;
  • 25% discount for FB/DL SE members.

Though the pdf does not state that the discount also applies to non-FB Elite members I have been informed that the discount also applies to these members.

Only question remains if full-fare members also benefit from free EC (as they do on long-haul flights).

Furthermore, interesting to see the huge(!) difference in paying with miles for an Emergency Exit Seat and an Economy Comfort Seat!

Gajan
Well BCN is about 2h 10min and € 30,-

Also who thinks that there are extra seats. The seats will be the same, only more legroom. Just because they have always been there. So no extra pitch. I still go for row 10...not as good as 4 or 5, but at least some extra inches for the legs
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
Well BCN is about 2h 10min and € 30,-
Duly noted and corrected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.